VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 02:59:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I might need help. ;D  (Read 3464 times)
tomh38
Vectorian

« on: December 02, 2008, 11:22:43 am »

Okay, I know I need that kind of help ... but this is about something else.

Some of you may know how much I dislike laptops (for myself, for other people who like them that's fine).  Well, a guy I know had a PC that was overloaded with viruses, and I helped him get rid of the viruses and get some basic security set up.  He acted like I had worked a miracle, though I know what I did was easy if you know what you're doing.  Anyway, I wouldn't take any money from him since he's a good friend and I don't mind doing this sort of thing for friends.

Next part of the story.  His nephew gave him a Dell Latitude D600, and he doesn't need it or like it.  He's giving it to me as thanks for helping him with his machine.  I might keep it, but I'll probably give it to this college kid I know who actually needs a laptop but is working two jobs and still struggling to pay tuition.  Her parents won't pay her tuition because she's an art student and they want her to be a lawyer.  She won't take out loans because she has now idea how she'll pay them back after graduation.

Anyway, I want to put VL on it, either as a back up or as the main OS, her choice, though I'm going to encourage Linux since it will do almost anything she needs to do, and won't have the security problems of Windows.

I'm telling everybody this because I'll probably be asking for some help in getting VL set up properly once I have it ... it has some kind of wireless internet and I know this can be a common problem with laptops.  Just wanted you all to know this since I won't be doing it for myself but for somebody else.  I know the VL community is helpful no matter what ... but this might make a bit of a difference.

Thanks,
Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 12:17:02 pm »

I'll be glad to help when you are ready. Just list the problem
hardware and it shouldn't be a big problem (knocks on wood).

Bigpaws
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 03:22:28 pm »

I had a Dell Latitude D600, It worked well with Linux, had a ipw2200 wifi chipset.
I think you should have good luck with that one.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 03:54:23 pm »

bigpaws:  Thanks for the offer to help.  I really like how helpful you are.

uelsk8s:  Thanks for the information on that.  Just knowing that the wifi will probably work is a relief.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 06:31:24 pm »

I just worked on a D600. Used VL 5.9 Light Live to troubleshoot and repair it. All hardware including wifi worked out of the box. Smiley
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 07:51:36 pm »

I had a D600 (provided by my employer at the time) for about five months.  I ran Red Hat Enterprise Linux on it and everything worked right out of the box as others have reported.  This will be a piece of cake for you  Grin

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 07:55:05 am »

Mmmmmm ... cake.

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 09:00:16 am »

Hi everybody in the vl community!

I got VL installed on the laptop, and all the hardware seems to be working as it should, including the wifi.  GrannyGeek, I owe you my apologies ... we've had our disagreements, and I've said bad things about laptops - now it's time to eat crow - I could get used to this.  This machine is going to a fantastic young woman who can't afford one for herself (she's an art student, etc.) but I may have to get one for myself.

Thanks to caitlyn, ueksk8s, bigpaws, and everyone else who would have helped me if I had needed it.

Tom

P.S.  I forgot to mention that setting up wifi was much easier in VL than in Windows.  So we got that goin' for us.  Which is nice.

I should have added for anyone who doesn't get the above reference, it's my paraphrase of Bill Murray in Caddyshack:

Carl Spackler (Bill Murray): So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 04:21:08 pm by tomh38 » Logged

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 10:34:16 pm »

Tomh38,
I told ya so.<g> It's really nice to be untied from the desk.

It's great that you set up and gave the laptop to your friend. I hope it serves her well for a long time. Let us know how she likes VL.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 02:46:24 pm »

Tom, I don't have a desktop system anymore.  Like Granny Geek says, the ability to grab and go with my computer is wonderfully liberating.  With wireless at home and in many businesses nowadays I can go online pretty much anytime.  I do use an external keyboard, mouse, and larger monitor when working at my desk at home.  That way I can get that desktop feeling without duplicate hardware.

A decade before the latest Netbook craze I had my itty, bitty Toshiba Libretto.  Now it's probably getting replaced with an Asus EeePC.  I'm getting older and nowadays I need my glasses for working with itty bitty screens but it is really nice to have something so small and light that you can take it anywhere.

Try it.  You will like it.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 03:47:50 am »

You can have my desktop machine when you pry it from my cold, dead .. wait, that one's already taken.  In all honesty (and when I don't say that I'm lying) I think I'll want a desktop machine for some time to come.  This is mainly because I like building, re-building, modifying, and adding to them, and so on.  Laptops/notebooks/netbooks have come a long way since the first ones were around, whereas with desktop computers the main thing (other than power) that's changed is that most of them have LCDs now (which of course laptops already had).  I already gave the Dell to my friend, who, by the way, seemed to like VL very much, though she's used to Windows.  My SO has a work laptop, but since she started using Linux she doesn't like it so much.  I could get one for work if I requested it, but policy is that you don't modify it.  I think they password-protect the BIOS or something.  So I'll probably buy one.  I'm thinking of getting a MacBook, since I like the high quality hardware that Apple has a reputation for.  I know you can dual boot Windows with OS X, so I imagine you can dual boot Linux and OS X.  I'll do some googling.

Tom

Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 01:32:10 pm »

Tom,

So far, the dozen or so Dell laptops I've used have been very reliable (Knock On Silicon). We slicked the disks of several and put Vector, Fedora, and, a few others on them - no problem. Whereas, a buddy of mine - who has written device drivers for Macs for years - recently had two MacBooks lock up on him.  Shocked  I was surprised, and, no, he had not installed any of his own drivers on them yet - they were out of the box.

Vector 5.whichever screems on my 9300 Latitude.  I like to dink around on boxes too ... have a shed full of machines in various stages of melt down  Grin

cheers,
Howard

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 02:07:11 pm »

Thanks Windoze, that's helpful to know.  As far as the laptop goes, I'm going to get one that I hear and read good things about.  So I appreciate your opinion.  One vote against the Macbook.

I think laptops are great for mobility, but not so hot when it comes to other things.  Right now in my desktop machine I've got two terabytes of storage, which I know is a lot for just one person, but I have this mini-server case which I've had for a while now.  It's very roomy in there, and if somebody gives me a hard drive (it happens sometimes because I'll swap one out for somebody and they'll give me the old one).  Anyway, I like the mobility of a laptop, but I'm also fond of how I can mess around with the desktop machine.  I'm a tinkerer at heart.

caitlyn, you wrote that you haven't had a desktop system in years.  That's fine with me, but it's not really my thing.  I'm like that guy (it's usually a guy, though I know one woman who is like this) who has a car that he's always working on.  He has fun doing that it's a hobby, and it's his way of relaxing.  I'm like that with my desktop machines.  I have two right now, one of which is a very nice Gateway which somebody left out for the trash.  I knocked on their door, and the people who lived there said that they indeed intended to throw it away.  There's nothing wrong with it that formatting the hard drive and reinstalling couldn't fix.  So now I'm looking to give that one to somebody.

My job is dealing with people.  Computers are my hobby.

Tom

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 04:32:22 pm »

I've had the best success with Toshiba and Dell.  Both companies make reliable machines that, for the most part, play nicely with Linux.  I have a 10 year old Toshiba Libretto that's still chugging along.  I had a second one.  It died after 10 years of use.  This Toshiba Satellite 1805-S204 is six years old.

Gateway is the absolute pits.  My housemate bought a high end model and it lasted less than two years.  Physical construction was poor and things started falling apart (literally) very quickly.  The first thing to die was the DVD burner.  Then the hard drive started making unfortunate noises.  It never got a chance to fail, though.  One day the laptop simply wouldn't power up.  It was toast.  I know other people who have had equally sorry experiences with Gateway products.

My next laptop will be a netbook to replace the ancient Libretto.  I've pretty much settled on the Asus EeePC.

As always, YMMV.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 09:10:50 pm »

It should be obvious to everyone that a few anecdotes form no basis on which to judge the quality of a laptop brand. Your best bet would probably be to see what Consumer Reports has to say, as they collect data from thousands of users. But even then, the "most reliable" brand will have lemons, and the most reliable model will have been unreliable for some users.

Not counting my first laptop, a wretched but very cheap Packard Bell that nevertheless lasted five years before an electrical short made it unusable, I've had a Fujitsu Lifebook that stopped working after five years of reliable service, a Toshiba Satellite that is still working after 5-1/2 years and is being used as a desktop computer (external keyboard, mouse, dual monitor, and 160 gig external FireWire drive running whenever the computer is on), and my present Gateway laptop, which is about 16 months old and has been flawless so far. They've all been dual boot Linux and Windows.

Toshiba has a very bad reputation for support after the sale. They don't do anything by e-mail and you have to call and usually talk to someone who's not competent (so what else is new?). If you send your Toshiba to their Depot for repair, it may take weeks or months to get it back and people report having the same problem after it's supposedly repaired. I don't know that other brands are better.

Either get as much RAM as you ever expect to need or make sure there's an empty slot when you buy the computer. Most laptops have only two RAM slots and they're usually filled (e.g., if it comes with 1 gig of RAM it'll have two 512-meg sticks). If you later decide to increase the RAM, you'll have to discard one or both RAM modules.

A lot of techie types like Lenovo business models. They've always been too expensive for my budget, so I've never tried one. But if a MacBook isn't too expensive for you, look at Lenovo, too.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: