VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 03:18:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Few Questions  (Read 1502 times)
Anthony

« on: December 03, 2008, 01:22:17 am »

Hello everyone   Smiley

I have just installed Vector Linux 5.9 Gold and I really like it, so thank you to all the fine people who made this distro possible.  The only things that I haven't been able to configure the way I want is the time server and xsane.

I have tried timeconfig and using "set timezone to" in orage clock and so far nothing has budged from UTC.  If anyone could help me get this set to Eastern Standard Time USA, I would greatly appreciate it. 

Xsane works as root but not as users.  I have both my users added to the scanner group, so is there something else that I need to do to get this working?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Everything else is running exceptionally well, and I am very glad to be a part of this friendly forum.  I am really impressed with the respectful way that members here treat each other and it is truly a refreshing break from some other distros' forums.  So thanks again to all who made this possible.

Anthony

P.S.  Just one more quick question.  Does anyone know where I can get the wallpaper with the snowmen and Christmas tree that is shown on the Vector Linux screenshot page displaying compiz fusion?
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 04:26:47 pm »

The clock is usually set up during install
Have you from the system menu opened vasmcc..requires root password..then choose hardware/date and time..it will do date first then time.
hope that helps a bit

Everything Is Relative
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 09:12:57 pm »

Is your computer showing the correct time? Is it set up for your time zone? In Orage, you start the program, click on Edit, Preferences, click on the Timezone tab, click on the Timezone box, click on America/New York, click on OK, then click on Close. If you've tried this and it's not working, I have no idea what to do.

Have you run sane-find-scanner as root? It'll tell you the /dev identification of the scanner. As root go to the /dev directory and look for the scanner as identified by sane-find-scanner and change the permissions. I do this with Midnight Commander (Control x. o on the highlighted file) and change the group ownership to scanner. Save your changes. Users in the scanner group should now be able to use xsane.

My computer connected to a scanner is not turned on now, so I'm going by memory. I hope I didn't forget something!
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 09:31:53 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Anthony

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 11:37:44 pm »

Thanks very much to both of you.  Overthere, that solved my clock problem, so thanks again.  GrannyGeek, I tried what you suggested about the scanner and it did work but only for the current session.  When I rebooted the dev usb had defaulted back to ownership root and group root.  I changed the permissions with thunar as root, and every time that I rebooted the same thing happened.  Is there perhaps a config file that I need to edit to make it default to scanner group?   
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 10:10:57 pm »

I don't recall having to reset the permissions once I changed them, but the computer I'm writing this from isn't attached to a scanner, so I can't check it out. I'll take a look tomorrow on a desktop computer that is attached to a USB scanner.

If anyone who knows more about this than I do is reading this, please jump in!
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 10:22:15 pm »

if the udev rule that creates the device is set to create it as root, then it will do that each time the device is plugged in, or the computer is rebooted
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: