VectorLinux
August 19, 2014, 08:33:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 beta2 feedback and bug reports  (Read 38466 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: December 07, 2008, 09:42:48 pm »

Please post any comments bug reports etc here with regards to the new beta2 release.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
DrCR
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 03:04:01 am »

Glad to hear you guys chose one of the latest kernel versions. I'm excited to try VL on my MacBookPro 3,1 again.  Smiley
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 07:30:46 am »

Install was fine. One question - the prompt to import user details - how selective is it? I would have used it, but I have a number of users on my /home partition, and didn't want to risk messing up any of those users, since they all have the same UID (they're all from different distros). As a result, first time through using the GUI installer, the install failed when I tried to use the user name I already had set for VL6.0.

Other than that (more a lack of explanation than anything else), the install was fine.

Things that need to be fixed:

/usr/share/applications/gslapt.desktop doesn't work - calls gslapt direct, not using /sbin/vsuper

Mousepad comes up in a screen size that is completely unusable on a 1024x768 screen, and can't be resized.

Vcpufeq is missing.

Can't say I like the new theme much, but that was easy to fix - I still think that the theme used in the alphas looked a lot better than the current one.

More later...

paul.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 08:27:31 am »

The user import module will let you select / import accounts one at a time.

You choose the account from a dropdown list, and setup your password, picture, etc. Then you select the things to reset ( optional)
UID is automatically generated by the isntaller

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 08:34:36 am »

The user import module will let you select / import accounts one at a time.

You choose the account from a dropdown list, and setup your password, picture, etc. Then you select the things to reset ( optional)
UID is automatically generated by the isntaller

Thanks Moe. I'll try that next time. Just didn't want to risk messing up other user accounts.

paul.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 08:45:46 am »

Tried the install again on the hp tower which has been failing with the x-server.
Sorry to say same result, but the story is a little different this time.
At the end of the install the installer asks me to wait while it finishes up some final things. I decided to take a little nap.
When I woke up it was still on that screen. (Good hour later).
I rebooted and configuration went as normal.
Then after nvidia gets set up it tryies to boot into x and fails.
Then I run /var/log/scripts/x11-fonts-7.2-noarch-2vl59 and after that it started just fine.

One more thing vdateset...The space to view the numbers is too small. Can't read double digits at all, can mostly see a single digit.

2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
Memory   2005MB (235MB used)
Operating System   5.9 Standard GOLD built on Dec-16-07
Date/Time   Thu 27 Nov 2008 02:15:52 AM MST
Display
Resolution   1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer   GeForce 6150 LE/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
X11 Vendor   The X.Org Foundation

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 09:01:36 am »

@ Stretchedthin,
What type of installation did you do? Full or Custom?
If running the fonts script fixed it, then that's why the installer got stuck @ that point. It expects that script to run while you're configuring the system... and it *should* finish about the same time you finish the configuration... In case it doesn't, it will show you that screen that says it's setting up.

Can you run it again, and see if there is still any CPU activity while the screen is being displayed?
Try a different type of install...

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 09:16:06 am »

I did a hosted installation which ran without a hitch.  Some bugs after installation, though:

Despite configuring the network hostname reverted to vector.linux.net.  Reconfigured with netconfig at the command line and then the hostname stayed correct.

Firefox 3.0.4 is completely unstable and crashes repeatedly.  There is a pattern:  it's always on sites which use Flash.  Perhaps upgrading to the Flash 10 beta would fix this.  I will try that myself when I have time.

I can confirm the issue with the gslapt .desktop file.

vxconf still doesn't work with my Toshiba laptop.  Symptoms are the same ones I've reported for every release over the last two years.

Overall it's coming along nicely.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 09:54:28 am »

I did a hosted installation which ran without a hitch.  Some bugs after installation, though:

Despite configuring the network hostname reverted to vector.linux.net.  Reconfigured with netconfig at the command line and then the hostname stayed correct.

No problem with setting hostname/domain here during install.

Firefox 3.0.4 is completely unstable and crashes repeatedly.  There is a pattern:  it's always on sites which use Flash.  Perhaps upgrading to the Flash 10 beta would fix this.  I will try that myself when I have time.

I've tried a few sites with flash (my ISP seems to love it). No problem so far. I don't usually use Firefox (prefer Seamonkey), but so far it seems to be working ok.

Overall it's coming along nicely.

Smiley It certainly is.... Still a few strange problems though.

I've just noticed that, even though I had xine-lib and xine-ui selected for install (I did a selective install), only xine-lib has installed. I've been able to install xine-ui from the CD without problems, but it wasn't picked up in the install.

paul.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 12:02:43 pm by toothandnail » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 11:36:25 am »

After examining the code, I found an issue with the user accounts importing module. Here is the problem.
B2 was released with some debugging code in the module, so...

When you select to import user accounts, and click the button to reset settings, you'll be presented with a blank window.

The good news is, it wont harm your existing data.
The bad news is... Your settings wont take effect because the action is redirected to alternate locations...

We should have a fix release soon, as the user import module is something we definitely need testing.
BTW, The code in the installer has been fixed as of now.

On a side note... I like the overall theme (with the exception of the initial wallpaper choice)
I like the style used in the theming... but the kicker for instance (the XFCE Menu icon) is too big, so it doesn't display very well @ 26PX panel height. Neither do the icons on the quick launch bar.
The desktop pager could use some gray lines to display where the desktop divisions are. It just looks like a big black box.

Also, the XFCE splash screen has a solid white bg... should be themed along with the rest of the theme. Prefferably with the bootsplash theme, because the bootsplash is still showing while the splash screen is displayed.

shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 12:01:15 pm »

Howdy all,

I'm kind of stuck on the partitioning step.  I've created a 12GB ext3 and a swap partition and have applied the changes.  But the Next button remains grayed out.  How do I proceed to the next step?  BTW, is this where I tell the installation software that the 12GB partition is to be assigned to / ?

And what confuses the heck out of me is what is said at the bottom of the page: 

"When finished making changes, exit the partitioning application to continue." and then right below it there is an "Exit Installation" button.  Is that supposed to be an "Exit Partitioning Application" button or does that button really exit the installation?  Maybe the design team should rethink putting these two next to each other?  Besides, shouldn't the statement above say "When finished making changes, click on the Next button to continue"? 
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 12:08:05 pm »

In the graphical partitioner....
Apply your changes when you're done

Click Gparterd -> Quit

That will un-lock the next button... and in the next screen, you tell it which partitions to use as /

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 12:26:45 pm »

I didn't have much time with the alpha releases but did have problems with the nvidia installer (both the latest and the open source). Now I'vehad  the same problem with beta 1, 1.2 and 2. It fails to compile due to a version mismatch of the kernel headers and the kernel source. This is also the result I get after downloading the lastest from nvidia's site (as expected). Also I get no sound (all part of a nvidia chipset [MCP67 High Definition Audio] - under 5.9 it uses the snd-hda-intel module). ALSA 1.0.18 reports no pci devices found. ALSA 1.0.16 (in vl 5.9.1) set up the sound but with only the basic options (i.e. sound out only no working inputs or other controls that are available in Vista).

Next the nic is not detected and no module is loaded for it. Again this was not an issue with 5.9 releases. I was able to set up ndiswrapper and get the wireless working which I have not yet been able to do with 5.9.1 (no problems with 5.9 though).

I haven't tested much else yet other than noticing a few links not working as has already been reported.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 12:49:29 pm »

@ Stretchedthin,
What type of installation did you do? Full or Custom?
If running the fonts script fixed it, then that's why the installer got stuck @ that point. It expects that script to run while you're configuring the system... and it *should* finish about the same time you finish the configuration... In case it doesn't, it will show you that screen that says it's setting up.

Can you run it again, and see if there is still any CPU activity while the screen is being displayed?
Try a different type of install...

OK, I can get to that after I finish work. Will let you know this evening.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 02:39:51 pm »

After checking the kernel info here's what I get: headers are 2.6.24.5, modules, src, etc. reported as 2.6.27.7 in gslapt but uname reports the kernel as 2.6.25.7. Shouldn't these match?

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: