VectorLinux
April 16, 2014, 05:52:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 beta2 feedback and bug reports  (Read 36973 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 02:54:42 pm »

After checking the kernel info here's what I get: headers are 2.6.24.5, modules, src, etc. reported as 2.6.27.7 in gslapt but uname reports the kernel as 2.6.25.7. Shouldn't these match?

Are you sure you're running B2 there?
I get 2.6.27.7 from uname
I have linux-2.6.27.7 in /usr/src

I think the problem is a leftover headers package.
/var/log/packages does indeed report a kernel-headers-2.6.24.5

I think *Just think* if you remove the headers package and just make sure you have the kernel source package installed, you should be able to do what you need done. (I may be wrong do not follow this advise before verifying the information provided)

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 03:54:42 pm »

I'll reinstall and check again...back in a few.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 05:11:37 pm »

I'll reinstall and check again...back in a few.
If you are using something besides lilo to boot your install make sure it using the correct kernel. But your kernel the kernel src and kernel modules all must be the same or you will run into all kinds of problems. The kernel headers are always a few revisions behind for stability/compatibilty reasons in building programs.

vec
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 05:25:20 pm »

I am using lilo and after a reinstall still got the same. Then I suspected that since I'm using a partition on the drive that has my SOHO install and using that lilo install with a line for Std 6.0b2. I realized that the 2.6.25.7 is the kernel for SOHO 5.9.1. I'll update lilo and perhaps it'll get the right boot line. I became very suspicious when lsmod gave me nothing in b2! I'll try again and be back in a few...

Addendum: Well, I can't tell you if this helped as it killed my master lilo setup. Booting from the beta 2 disk allowed everything to setup correctly except nvidia graphics. When I get everything sorted out I'll come back (in Vista right now).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 06:32:56 pm by MikeCindi » Logged

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
UnixDawg

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 05:50:42 pm »

ok the fallowing issues have been found in 6.0 in xlde.

1) in the installer you alasconfig needs to be added.

2) vl-hot is not mounting flashdrives when installed into usb

3) no mixer for alsa in lxde.

4) no ease of adding menus to the start menu in lxde

5) kde needs to be updated to 3.5.10 as some of the libs are already installed for k3b that are 3.5.10

6) awn crashes x when starting

7) in the system installer the xorg setup needs to be put back and the flx driver for ati.

Cool gslapt will not run from the menu launch bar.it gives a error about not having permissions to mkdir

these are a few major issues to start.

UnixDawg

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 06:03:10 pm »

few more things about the graphical installer.

Great Job looks nice but it has a issue when setting up the wifi/wlan0 cards it is not properly setting the essid. and there for it is not connecting to networks. you have to go to a console and iwconfig and set the essid.

put kde  3.5.9/10 into the menu option of desktops to install and include them on the iso.

I will report more.
curtdodds

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 09:18:49 pm »

GUI FULL install:
1. lilo boot option: 'vga=791' rejected as error. Works fine after install.
2. +Successfully chose NO INITRD , and install to root partition ok.
3. Network Configuration: No ethernet networking devices found, VASM configured fine, after install (via VT6102 Rhine-II).
4. Hung at "Final system configuration, Please wait a moment." Buttons grayed out. Found hidden 'Menu" button in
    lower left corner, did Quit/Reboot. CD was ejected and reboot ok.
5. +Selected nvidia expert and installed 96. OK. 173. not available, 177. won't work for FX5200.
6. Startx still failed with cursor font 'cursor' error. Ran /var/log/scripts/x11-fonts-72.noarch-2vl59, startx OK.

Future requests/desires:
1. Grub option. Better recovery from errors (and errors do occur!). Chroot usually not needed to fix grub errors.
2. GUI Install: Would be nice to finish all the options/choices BEFORE actual install. If problem, didn't waste time installing.
3. GUI Install: A one page summary of all selections, and the ability to click on an item in the left column to go back and change.

Nice Work!
Best wishes for the next round.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 09:32:07 pm »

There is a grub package for VL 6 in the repository.  I promised Vector I would test it but things came up IRL.  I'll try to get to it tomorrow.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video
VL 7.0 Light
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 11:07:50 pm »

I'm testing on a few machines but having a particularly interesting problem on this one...
   2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
Memory   2004MB (189MB used)
Operating System   Vector Linux 6.0 Standard Beta 2 Built on Dec-07-0
User Name   ken (ken)
Date/Time   Mon 08 Dec 2008 11:21:14 PM UTC
Display
Resolution   1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer   GeForce 6150 LE/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
X11 Vendor   The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter   HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

Done as a full install on existing partitions

When the window pops up saying "Vector Linux installation is complete. Click next to begin system configuration" it seems to pop up to soon as "Installation summary remains red"  I have to wait several moments before it turns green.

Lilo does not see Suse partition.
Linux Mint partition seen as debian and defaults to initrd instead of initrd-img
Says that no networking devices found...always found them before.
Says that "Vector Linux is performing final system config Please wait a moment" and just stays there, waited it out for a while then rebooted.
In system configuration NVidia install fails.  This is odd as I did not have the problem the install before (full install)or the one after (custom install)
I was able to install NVidia after a reboot with VasmCC, however, I got the same problem I've been getting on this machine since alpha 0.37 and the x-server will not start untill I run sh x11-fonts-7.2-noarch-2vl59 from /var/log/scripts/.
After which everything seems to run well.

I'll post again with experience with custom install.

I'm sure this will get ironed out in time.  Great work so far.
Ken

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 11:17:32 pm »

Forgot a usb drive in the machine and got "Probing EDD (edd=off to disable ok) Undefined Video mode number 317
Hit space or wait 30 seconds (something like that)
Took the usb drive out tried again and no such warning.

This time I did a custom install. Results very much the same as full install.
-progress bar and "Vector Linux installation is complete" seem to show up to soon. Harddrive keeps working long after and when it finishes the red button turns green on the "Installation summary" line on the left.

-"Vector Linux is performing system config..." never finishes. I waited an hour this time. (Went and watched the news...depressing)
-rebooted and configured NVidia set-up ok, but again x-server would not lunch until I ran sh x11-fonts-7.2-noarch-2vl59.
Seems to be fine now and I can test other things.
Same machine as previous post.
Ken

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 06:13:02 am »

Ok... sounds like there is definitely a problem with the background configuration.

Those of you having LILO problems. First I'd like to say this
selecting "high" from the resolution dropdown will set your append to "splash=silent vga=791"

@Stretchedthin.
Your Linux mint issue is merely a labeling issue. The installer only identifies most major distros. We simply cannot add identifiers for each single distro out there... In fact, the old lilo setup will identify a Vector installation on another partition as "Slackware".
With that said, you can always use the LILO setup window to edit your labels... if YOu know it's Mint and not Debian, change it. You should also pay attention to the initrd dropdown. This is simply a list of possible initrds. The installer has no way to test each one of them. Some user interferance is needed here.

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 06:54:22 am »

Cannot get this one to boot on an acer aspire one, with an external usb cd/dvd drive.

Same disk and external drive boots on another computer.
Beta 1 boots on the aspire one.

Huh

EDIT: Boot seems to be attempted, disk spins, but I only get a blinking cursor on the top left corner.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:02:14 am by wcs » Logged
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 12:02:17 pm »

I'm still seeing font rendering problems with beta 2. A strange one - it is browser content that is showing problems. Tried in both Firefox and Seamonkey, problem is visible in both. Fonts for menus etc in either browser is fine.

eBay gives very poor results, as does The Register. I wondered whether it might be missing fonts (while the MS corefonts are installed, its not a full set). I installed the rest of the MS set, but it hasn't helped. Still badly pixilated fonts on a number of web sites.

paul.
8Di5pd
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 12:40:55 pm »

I just wanted to report a major bug in this thread. I started another thread by accident.

The bug is that the default domain is "linux.net". You should never have a top-level domain (ex. .net .com .org) set as the default. You should use a safe domain name like "tuxnet" or "localdomain".

Also, I keep having to run dhcpcd manually as root after each reboot. I'm not sure if it makes a difference. But I am running the beta in a virtual machine.

Mike
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 01:08:35 pm »

Just did an install on two other machines....

Processor      : 2x Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T2400  @ 1.83GHz
Memory      : 3109MB (175MB used)
OpenGL Renderer      : GeForce Go 7300/PCI/SSE2

and a ...

Processor      : Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 2.20GHz
Memory      : 493MB (174MB used)
Resolution      : 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer      : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 852GM/855GM 20061017 x86/MMX/SSE2

Installed once with the "full install" once again with "custom" (with the gui installer of course),

same result HALD fails to start at boot up afterwards. Leading to all kinds of troubles.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: