VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 06:21:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 beta2 feedback and bug reports  (Read 40352 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 01:28:52 pm »

@ Stretchedthin
Can you try starting hal manually and see what you get?
/etc/rc.d/rc.hald restart

Post any error messages you get.

Does this happen if you install in text mode also?

@8Di5pd
I've also noticed this issue with the dhcp daemon not bringing up the interface, but it happens only in VM, my real installs dont have this problem, so I deemed it a VM issue.

May need additional testing on this department.

8Di5pd
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 01:46:01 pm »

@M0E-lnx

I'm using VMware Server 2.0.0 build-122956. What are you using?

Also, I'd be happy to do any additional testing. But I am new to Vector. So I'm not sure what to try. Just let me know if you or the devs have any ideas. You can reach me by PM.

Mike
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 02:20:37 pm »

I am using VirtualBox 2.0.4

I'd be interested in your results if you installed on real hardware. As I said, I do not have this problem on real hardware... just VM

sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 02:43:16 pm »

Full install on P3 750 with Geforce MX went smoothly.

Install on multi-boot system (Athlon XP 3200+ with Geforce 6600GT) gave me a few issues, for this system I was installing Lilo into the boot sector rather than the MBR.

1) At the Lilo config page if you uncheck all menu entries, and I mean all the entries including the VL6.0 entry, when you hit next you get a rather unhelpful dialog saying the following:

Lilo returned an error

Warning unable to determine video adapter in present system
 Using bitmap secondary loader
 Warning video adapter does not support VESA bios extensions. Boot loader will fall back to text only.

Fatal: Default image does not exist.
 Failed.

2) After creating user accounts if you click next to got to network config followed by back to check something like user permissions you will be presented with a "you have not created user accounts" dialog when you click next to return to network config. From this point the installer gets stuck on "creating user accounts" and does not allow you to proceed any further than the network config page.

3)When you create user accounts if you forget to click "create" before clicking "next" the last user account does not get created.

Chris
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008, 02:50:47 pm »

Sparkyhall, Reverse navigation has been fixed for the most part by now, You will see improvements on the next beta bugfix release.

_EDIT_
As for your LILO problem, sounds to me like an old problem from either an alpha release or B1.
The LILO setup in B2 should not be able to produce such an error. Make sure you select an item from the "Boot Default" dropdown menu.
I Just realized this... but why would you uncheck all OSs listed?
If you do not want to install LILO at all, just click the checkbox on top and you'll be fine.
No wonder you got this error.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 02:59:19 pm by M0E-lnx » Logged

vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008, 06:47:05 pm »

I'm still seeing font rendering problems with beta 2. A strange one - it is browser content that is showing problems.
Paul give this a try. Go to /etc/fonts/conf.d and remove these two symlinks 10-no-sub-pixel.conf and 70-yes-bitmaps.conf. Then reboot and try again works really well for me my yahoo mail looks like crap with standard configuration removing those two cured it for me.

cheers
Vec
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2008, 06:50:52 pm »

New B2.1 iso
some installer fixes import user should now work.
please test if you had problems booting B2
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/VL6.0-STD-B2.1.iso

It would be good to know if lilo will work when last mbr was grub now also.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 08:17:50 pm by uelsk8s » Logged
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2008, 09:31:12 pm »

B2 (and B1) GUI Installer Bug(s):
During installation, on the Network Configuration step, if the user fails to provide a domain the user if prompted that one is needed.  Upon entering a domain the 'Next' button does not become active (bug 1).  Going back and trying to move forward again also does not succeed in making the 'Next' button become active.  In fact, going back about 5 times and you cycle around to the root password entry again, and moving forward only allows the user to get back to the boot manager configuration with an inactive 'Next' button (bug 2).
curtdodds

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2008, 09:51:20 pm »

Gslapt in the 'Programs' -> System menu lacks the /sbin/vsuper prefix.

While searching for how to add that, I found this:
http://xfce.wikia.com/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#How_to_edit_the_auto_generated_menu_with_the_menu_editor.3F

This enables the Xfce menu editor, to actually edit ALL the menu items.
Vector may like to incorporate this, or similar, to enable all users to really edit their Xfce menus.

I think most of us prefer a GUI over manually editing scattered individual files.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2008, 09:58:58 pm »

I better qualify my findings with the fact that I'm testing the installation within a virtual machine first.

Since I was stopped in my last attempt to install (a couple post above), I restarted the installation.  This time, however, the installation routine did not detect the virtual network interface thus I cannot setup the Network Configuration, and consequently cannot proceed forward through the 'Next' button as it remains inactive.  Would a user run into this problem if they attempt to install VL 6.0 Standard via the GUI installer on a system with no nic card?
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2008, 10:28:13 pm »

Great job people.
Previously, with beta 2.0, I had a problem with HALD failing at boot up after completing the full installation.
Happy to report no such problem on either of the below machines. Wireless set up flawlessly, thats how I'm sending this post.   
This was a full install on existing partitions.

-Computer-
Processor      : 2x Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T2400  @ 1.83GHz
Memory      : 3109MB (175MB used)
Resolution      : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer      : GeForce Go 7300/PCI/SSE2
Audio Adapter      : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel

-Computer-
Processor      : Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 2.20GHz
Memory      : 493MB (174MB used)
Operating System      : Vector Linux 6.0 Standard Beta 1 Built on Nov-25-0
Resolution      : 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer      : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 852GM/855GM 20061017 x86/MMX/SSE2
Audio Adapter      : ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4

Also my thanks, for the j-pilot addition synced with palm tungsten e2 (as root?) with very very little messing around.

Only, installer issue obvious during this install was I still couldn't get lilo to offer up windows as a choice at boot.

One more computer to test against previous issues, let you know soon.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2008, 12:29:17 am »

Tested gui installer against the previous issue of having to run /var/log/scripts/  x11-fonts-7.2-noarch-2vl59 at the end
of install inorder to boot properly.  Happy to say this is no longer an issue.  Install was a "full install" on existing partitions.

Machine tested.
2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
Memory   2004MB (308MB used)
Operating System   Vector Linux 6.0 Standard Beta 2.1 Built on Dec-09-0
Resolution   1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer   GeForce 6150 LE/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
X11 Vendor   The X.Org Foundation

On all three machines I installed on today the gui said that there was no "ethernet card detected", before it always detected something, whether it was the wired or wireless variaty.  This did not seem to effect the end result as everything worked fine.

I have an HP printer attached to this machine.  Tried to launch HP Device manager from menu, but it's a no go.
Tried hp-toolbox in terminal and got this...
ken:$ hp-toolbox

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 2.8.4)
HP Device Manager ver. 13.1

Copyright (c) 2001-8 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

error: PyQt not installed. GUI not available. Exiting.
warning: Qt/PyQt initialization failed.
error: hp-toolbox requires GUI support. Exiting.

Set-up printer with cups but get this error...

hpc42503in1 "/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip-hplip failed" under the 'Printer' tab

I can sync my palm Tungsten e2 only as root.  While it is way cool that I can do it at all (never could make it work in 5.9) why have it on the menu at all if it has to be launch via a root terminal to work? 

gtkam is now working for all my camera's.  Very cool.

Would gtkpod be too large to include on the cd.  Would round out multimedia nicely, since I imagine Amorak is too large. Still not convinced we need vburn on VL6.0 gold fits more in with light. Just my 2bits.

Will keep testing, again nice work.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2008, 04:32:12 am »

I'm still seeing font rendering problems with beta 2. A strange one - it is browser content that is showing problems.
Paul give this a try. Go to /etc/fonts/conf.d and remove these two symlinks 10-no-sub-pixel.conf and 70-yes-bitmaps.conf. Then reboot and try again works really well for me my yahoo mail looks like crap with standard configuration removing those two cured it for me.

Cool Magic. Thanks Vec, that certainly fixes it. Much better!

paul
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2008, 04:43:01 am »

B2.1

User import worked fine. One oddity - I selected a login picture, but the system is using a generic, not the one I selected. Other than that, excellent. In fact, the import works better than the version in the text installer, since it really does leave settings alone if told to, which the TUI installer doesn't.

One thing I've not seen with the GUI installer before - it could not see either my wired or wireless NIC. Doesn't seem to be a problem after install, wired is working and the wireless module is loaded, but was a bit confusing during the install.

Alt-F2 is still not working. Vcpufreq is also still missing. Some icons are missing also (not seeing anything for .tlz files, for instance). Other than that, everything I've tried so far is working well.

Nearly forgot - I had xine-lib and xine-ui selected for install, but only xine-lib has been installed. No problem with the package on the CD, I've been able to install it directly, its just not being picked up in the install.

More later...

paul.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 05:02:59 am by toothandnail » Logged
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2008, 05:28:39 am »

I Just realized this... but why would you uncheck all OSs listed?
If you do not want to install LILO at all, just click the checkbox on top and you'll be fine.
No wonder you got this error.

I was pointing out that the error message given doesn't actually help point out the error of my ways. I accidentally unchecked all of the OSs listed just like a new user might do so a message such as "please select default OS before proceeding" would perhaps be more helpfull.

Chris
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: