Paul, what kind of box do you have there?
do you test on more than 1?
At the moment, only one - got to make some space on some of the other machines.
My current test box is an IBM T42 laptop - 1.8GHz Pentium-M, 1GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive. Its generally been a very Linux-friendly machine. Even the Atheros AR5212 wireless card works with either MadWifi or the newer ath5k drivers.
At the moment it has WinXP, Zenwalk 5.2, VL 5.9, VL 5.9 SOHO, VL6.0 b2.4, Zenwalk 5.4 alpha installed. I did have OpenSUSE 11 installed, but accidentally overwrote it with one of the VL6.0 alphas - no great loss.
I use the OS/2 Boot Manager as a primary boot manager, with Grub installed to the root of the partition that I use as /boot for Zenwalk 5.2.
I've just finished the test cycle on the new version of SME Server, so I'm intending to install VL 6.0 on my test box, which is an old PIII 1.2 GHz machine. Have to pull out the second NIC and clear the drive, but I should get it done sometime in the next few days.
Found the reason for the strange 'upgrade' behaviour - a lot of the files that would normally be in /var/log/packages are missing, so the dep tracking isn't working properly.
The lockup at the end of the install is a bit worrying - never had that sort of problem with any other Linux distribution on the T42.