VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 01:11:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 beta2 feedback and bug reports  (Read 39610 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2008, 09:11:23 pm »

Installed 6.0B2 on an IBM X22 (PIII 900, 640mb RAM).....

WOW.....The install went without a hitch. Detected my SMC USB wireless adapter. Downloaded OOO 3.0 - works fine. I am using this as my regular desktop machine - web, basic office aps, email, IM, etc. - and have not encountered any issues to date.

I am impressed.....!

Nice Wink

It's getting there

ethyl

« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2008, 07:08:07 am »

Hi all,

great work so far... I was just testing the beta 2.3 while I stumbled upon a weird stuff around hplip / hp-systray and everything related to hp printers and cups.

First of all - hp-systray is set to launch on startup but it can't because there are 2 packages missing - pyqt and sip. Installed them and the icon is in the systray - OK.

I tried the HP device manager - no installed hp devices found - this was expected.
I clicked on the Setup Device button - a complaint about missing ppd file for my printer... huh?
Launched hp-setup from terminal and all went fine (it found a ppd similar to my printer - psc1310, mine is 1315 and went on. This is more likely an hplip issue not a vector one). Not sure how this hplip works, earlier versions used to have 2 deamons which were supposed to start hpssd and one other name of which I don't remember now. I searched for the first one to no avail. Is this OK?

I tried localhost:631 to configure the printer in CUPS... not found... 404... localhost:631/admin is OK though. Well almost OK apart from all graphical elements are missing... Looks like cups installation is broken to some extent (tried as both user and root). I managed to configure the printer but don't have a chance to test it - no ink at the moment (also not a vector issue  Smiley )

Tried the hp-systray again. HP Device manager still shows no devices. Tried refreshing, still no devices... oh well...

One other thing - I found the installer didn't offer me an option to configure my network. I configured it via vasm (static IPs) and it was OK until I rebooted the machine. I saw init set the ip's OK, but after I logged in to the GUI there was no IP on my interface. I disabled wicd and ifplugd  (not sure whether I had to disable both of them or not) and the interface gets configured by init and stays that way.

Swat is not connectable from a user session, only from roots GUI session.

XMMS installed, but not in the menu

Fonts are still a bit blurry.

I saw there is B2.4 already so I might just give it a try.

cheers eth
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2008, 11:17:34 am »

Please Help!!!!!! just loaded beta 2.4 .
and in the light of so many reporting excellent results I am at a loss as to why I'm experiencing this problem.

To this machine..
2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
Memory   2004MB (284MB used)
Operating System   Vector Linux 6.0 Standard Beta 2.4 Built on Dec-16-0
Date/Time   Wed 17 Dec 2008 11:28:52 AM UTC
Display
Resolution   1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer   GeForce 6150 LE/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!

Audio Adapter   HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

I installed in existing partitions just a root of 100gig with a swap of 1gig, used 'full install' everything goes well until the very end  of the gui install and then the installer requests I wait until final configuration is completed (or something to that effect and just stays there.) 
I opened the terminal and ran cat gui.log | less and got this...

(installer.gambas:4312): GTK-CRITICAL**:gtk.style.attach:assertion:window!=NULL' failed
(installer.gambas:4312): GTK-CRITICAL**:gtk.syle.attach:assertion'GDK-IS.GC (gc)' failed
(installer.gambas:4312): GTK-CRITICAL**:gtc-drawable.get.colormap: assertion 'GDK_IS_Drawable (drawable) failed
(installer.gambas:4312): GTK-CRITICAL**:gtk-gc-set_background: assertion'GDK_IS.GC (gc) failed
then they repeat.

However, I can just force the reboot from the menu in the lower left corner and installation completes as normal. Everything seems to run fine.

Thank you very much for the including gtkpod, nice.

Had to reboot, but everything finishes fine after that.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2008, 11:20:03 am »

Those GTK warnings are just that... for some reason, it keeps doing that, and happens on every application I've written that uses the GTK toolkit.

I'll double check that stall @ the end... seems an old bug is back

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2008, 11:55:33 am »

What is the status on being able to dual boot with a windows partition.  Should I be able to do this successfully at this point?   Just tried to install beta 2.4 on my laptop with a windows partition and Lilo is still returning as error.  Once I deselect windows from being included in the installation everything goes fine on this machine.

If there is any info I can give to help, just let me know.

hda3 is swap with 543.87mb
hda1 is ntfs with 10gig
hda2 is vector6.0 Linux ReiserFS with 8891.53mb

PS thanks for this...
Was asked at the end of the gui install if I wanted to set-up the touchpad in xorg.conf. so I did.  Then took a look at the xorg.conf file and it looks like it set it up, just as it should.  So I downloaded and installed synaptics-20080519-i486-1pg.tgz from slacky.eu and it worked like a charm
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 12:17:09 pm by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2008, 09:02:58 am »

Just installed 2.2 on my old test machine (12 GHz PIII, 512 MB RAM, SATA hard drive, IDE DVD-ROM, some old ATI AGP card).

This machine is usually a server test bed, so I don't really know what its performance is like with X. However....

At the end of the GUI install, when I clicked OK to restart, I got a floating 'out of range' error from the monitor. Had to hit the reset button to get the machine to restart. When X came up, it didn't come up in the 1280x1024 that I had selected (may not be enough video memory on the card, so I'm not sure that this is VL's fault). I attempted to run Xvidtune to fix the offset on the screen (which may be a result of the KVM that I use for my desktop machines, not sure), but was unable to get a satisfactory result.

The other problem - the machine has two NICs, one onboard and one PCI card. When I configured the network during install, I wasn't at all sure which was being seen as eth0 and which was being seen as eth1. So I didn't do much, just left them at defaults. When I started the machine, all the domain information I had entered during network config was gone - I got (none) as a machine name, and complaints from X.

It might be useful to have a bit more informaiton available about the nics, if it is possible - I I could have seen the chipset detected, I would have known which nic was wich. I'm also not sure whether the (none) error was caused by lack of configuration on the second NIC or some other fault,

When I get a bit of time, I'll pull the PCI NIC out of the box and try it again, see what results I get. I'll also try using 16 bit colour for X, rather than the full colour that I tried today.

paul.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2008, 09:41:32 am »

@stretchedthin: I have not had problems with my laptop. Perhaps posting your lilo.conf entry for windows would help.

I've had many stability problems with 2.4: thunar is slow and complains about emptying the trash(need to use a FM like thunar to connect to that trash???), mounting (vl-hot but not hal) SD cards gives an error as it attempts to load the device twice (the second one gives an error of course), gslapt freezes while installing packages (slapt-get has not problems though), initial start (after install) asks if xfce4 is okay for default as xfce is not available, during install didn't get to add statements to lilo (thus no hibernate until I can add a resume statement later), virtual box has crashed a few times (never, yep never, had that happen since using vb 2.x.x), lastly (for now), several packages now have a dependancy of openssl-solibs (firefox 3.0.5, wine, dar, etc.)...really? I'll report more as I get more time.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2008, 12:00:24 am »

OK guys time for B2.10 we hope this will be rc1 for general public announce let us know what you find:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/test/VL6.0-STD-B2.10.iso
We changed the theme and artwork around some let us know what you think there. Suggestions for final are welcome now. Don't plead to loose ascii art on cli terminal been there since day 1 ten years ago my thing it stays............Smiley. We think it is pretty well debugged  on the machines we have and from your reports. If all we find are minor then we go to rc1 if a showstopper we will do another beta......please let us know asap.

Thanks,
Vec

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 12:04:37 am by vector » Logged
jimtib

« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2008, 09:08:30 am »

I installed beta 2.10 on 2 different computers.One is AMD64 and the other is Athlon 1000.On both installs when it comes to network it says unexpected error and must abort.Error says bad index Mdl Netconf.When i reboot the install continues and completes on both computers.The AMD64 has ATI card and have to go into terminal to configure but then it works fine.Other computer has Nvdia card works fine.
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2008, 09:10:58 am »

Could someone do a quick favor for me? Can you look on VL6 and see what versions of glib2, cairo, pango, and gtk+2 are installed? Thanks!

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2008, 09:26:18 am »

Here's what I have in b2.4 according to gslapt. Some of these may have gotten updated though.
glib2 - 2.16.3
cairo - 1.6.4
pango - 1.20.0
gtk+2 - 2.12.9
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 09:29:31 am by MikeCindi » Logged

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2008, 10:20:58 am »

Thank you!

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2008, 10:50:53 am »

The install of b2.10 went ok until time to set up the nvidia drivers. It never happened as the hardware setup never happened. I also, for the fun of it, during the lilo setup selected the "very high" resolution of the bootsplash. On reboot lilo reported no such resolution. I also notice that I have the HPLIP icon in the task tray but I don't have a HP printer connected. This has never been present by default before. Thus far though b2.10 (aka rc1) looks pretty good (esp. compared to b2.4).

I working on my usual customizations now so more later...

...tried to install ndiswrapper-1.53 and get the following warning:
Code:
*** WARNING: This kernel uses 4K stack size option
(CONFIG_4KSTACKS); many Windows drivers will not work
with this option enabled. Disable CONFIG_4KSTACKS
in kernel's .config file, recompile and install kernel
Then after running make I get a couple of errors. Perhaps this is why I have been unable to get wireless working.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 11:20:50 am by MikeCindi » Logged

ethyl

« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2008, 11:43:39 am »

Big kudos to all distro developers!

was thinking about how to start my post, but didn't find anything better than that. From my point of view you can safely call it RC1. You guys did a HUGE amount of work since B2.3 (last tested version). First of all a little confession - I used the text based installed. Don't blame me, I just got used to it over the past 5 years I've been using VectorLinux and I would really hate to part with it - it's fast, it's simple, it does the trick and most importantly I can manage the installation with my eyes closed and one hand behind strapped my back (not that I recommend it Wink ). Sooo... Let's take a look at my grievances from my last post:

hp-systray launches at startup OK. Moreover it works flawlessly with my PSC 1315 now - an effortless setup. Back in the days I've spent the whole afternoon tinkering with printer and scanner setup. Now? A minute or two. WOW!

wicd now works ok for me, I can set up my static IP, works like a charm!

second look on the swat issue - I probably just missed the concept of it all. It just works. You have to configure samba from vasm, that's it.

still can't see XMMS in the menu

Fonts a bit blurry (more precisely - some font sizes give rainbow effect which can perfecty be seen in terminal with black background)

And what about the slapt update notifier? That's big news! And it works! Amazing!

One little thing I miss. Really a miniscule little thing. I kinda miss the mail watcher plugin for xfce... Not that I can't compile it myself, but would welcome if it's back.

The GUI is beautiful! I love the Mist theme for xfce.

Last but not least... speed. What does the disto run on? Hydrogene? Methylalcohol? Boy it's fast... Really. I am used to a speedy linux distro. Remember I've been using Vector for five years, but wow... Just WOW! A rocket among distros!

I bow to the ground gentlemen!
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2008, 12:05:39 pm »

I decided to reinstall and all went well this time as far as the gui installer and xorg.conf. Like ethyl though I prefer the text installer and if the gui installer is good to go I'll probably use the other from now on.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  

Jump to: