2.10 - installed twice to my IBM T42 laptop.
Both installs were selective. First time through, I imported user details from the user I had with the last beta. Result is that neither the real name or the selected login photo are used. Real name is blank, login photo uses a default image.
After completing user setup, clicked next to go to the network config. At which point I got this:
This applicatoin has raised an unexpected error and must abort.
[-1] Bad index mdlNetConf.?.*
When I clicked OK, the installer died. I waited until all the hard drive activity stopped, then rebooted. Install completed normally from that point on.
Second time through, I wiped the user details and created a new user. When I clicked Next to continue with the network config, I got the same error and the installer crashed again. Waited for the hard drive activity to stop, rebooted. This time, after going through the final stages of setup, the machine locked solid instead of going to the GUI login. Sat with a few minor blips on the hard drive. In the end, I had to power cycle the machine - nothing else would let me out. When I restarted, the system was unable to start X - it seems that /etc/X11/xorg.conf must have been open and got scrambled when I had to power down. I cheated - pulled an xorg.conf from a backup and copied it in, was then able to start X.
Before I go back and try a third install, a few quick observations. First, Vcpufreq still doesn't work from the toolbar launcher. Since I'd seen it on the CD before install, I went and looked. All I could find was /usr/bin/vcpufreq.gambas. Changing the launcher execute command from 'vcpufreq' to 'vcpufrq.gambas' has got it working.
I'd also have to ask why not gksu? The current root password dialog is horribly slow the first time its called, can't see the need for all the baggage associated with kdesu.
The new theme looks pretty good (I like the splash screen and the login dialog looks much better as well). Not sure how practical it is - the dark toolbar really doesn't offer enough contrast. Still, I'll live with it for a while, see how it goes.
Sound. On my machine, the wrong device is being selected - instead of Intel ICH4, it is showing 'default', which doesn't work. Also, volume settings are strange - the master is set to 50%+, but PCM is at zero, which also doesn't work.
The version of Xdialog installed is still the one built without the Xdialog-2.3.1-gtk2.patch.
I can't currently test the network - not in a location where I can connect the laptop. That will have to wait until tomorrow. Modules for both my wired and wireless interfaces are loaded, so that is reasonably promising.
I guess I'll go install it for a third time.....