VectorLinux
July 22, 2014, 05:25:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What does everybody think about KDE4?  (Read 8125 times)
blackbelt_jones

« on: December 09, 2008, 11:07:15 pm »

I used to be full of fear and loathing for KDE4, but I'm past that. I like and admire it now, but I still have a strong sentiment toward Vector SoHo holding onto KDE3 for as long as possible.  I suppose you'll be taking your cues from Slackware.  Anybody have thoughts?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 06:08:04 am »

I really do think a lot of distros will keep 3.x for as long as they can.

IMO, KDE4 mocks vista too much. The drastic changes in the way the menu works and how it's designed, The desktop management is done differently, it all just seems to vista-like to me. And worst of all, still as buggy as it was before it went final.

I haven't been a KDE fan for a long time... and it'll be a while before I switch to KDE4

|nic|
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 09:36:34 am »

Im using Vector Soho since the 5.1 version and I really like KDE 3. I tried KDE 4 and I was disappointed . I don't like the way the taskbar works , don't like plasma and like MOE-lnx said it's to buggy !
There's is no way I'll switch to KDE 4 and if needed I switch to the standard version of VL.

greetz

registered user #393337

Desktop AMD E6 / 8 gb ram / 120 GB SSD / 500 gb HD / VL7

Samsung NP110 / VL7.1 Std
Skinjob

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 06:19:43 am »

I used to be full of fear and loathing for KDE4, but I'm past that. I like and admire it now, but I still have a strong sentiment toward Vector SoHo holding onto KDE3 for as long as possible.  I suppose you'll be taking your cues from Slackware.  Anybody have thoughts?
So keep holding on is my opinion. I heard all sorts of cool stuff about KDE4 before it was officially released and adopted and truthfully, in my own opinion, I hate it. All my favorite contextual menus and features are gone and its buggy to say the least. Dolphin has crashed on each trial regardless of distribution. KDE3 is the place to be!  Shocked
blackbelt_jones

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 06:11:34 pm »

Im using Vector Soho since the 5.1 version and I really like KDE 3. I tried KDE 4 and I was disappointed . I don't like the way the taskbar works , don't like plasma and like MOE-lnx said it's to buggy !
There's is no way I'll switch to KDE 4 and if needed I switch to the standard version of VL.

greetz

I don't know when you tried it, but you might like it better now.  Or not.  I don't know much about Vista, but I think in the end we'll see that KDE4 is a whole lot more than just a Vista clone.  KDE4 is awesome, and important, and it's getting better all the time.  The latest version 4.1.3, fixes most of the problems with Konqueror 4, and there have even been some improvements!  (I'm into "Kickbox", which is KDE applications running on fluxbox.)  But I'm not sure it's a good subsitute for KDE3.  It may be someday, but all the big distros seem to be falling all over themselves to make the change, and to take away the choice before their users are ready.   So if Vector wants to drag its heels, I think that would be all the more reason for me to stick with Vector for a while.
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 01:22:36 pm »

kde 4.2 imo both rocks and is rock solid- I love it more than kde 3.5.10. The old kde is just dull compared to the new one, especially now- kde4.2 is as ligh and stable as 3.5. I've been using it on an ubuntu install for a couple of months and i quite frankly miss it now on vector 6.

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 01:24:40 pm »

KDE 4.2 is included in Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0.  According to uelsk8s it should be in the repo in the not too distant future.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 02:10:23 pm »

I have looked a KDE4 when it came with RedHat.

I found navigation a little difficult, but I chalked that up to being more of
a problem with RedHat setup vs KDE.

After 4.2 was made for Slackware 12.2 I became somewhat impressed,
there is some differences that I do not care for. I only tested and then
I killed the install, since at that time K3B did not work in KDE 4 which
is a downfall to me.

Bigpaws
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 01:46:40 am »

k3b works in kde4 if you install kde3 libs too..I think they ported it to kde4,but its still unstable

radio_silence

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 07:22:36 pm »

I'd love to try kde4 on 6.0 deluxe, but customer service isn't too explicit with their help
(see below, my questions are the ones in arrows)

>
> with the cd as my only repository, there are 55 apps that
> appear when I search for kde4
> Which ones do I need to install?

If you tried to install KDE4 then there will be alot of dependencies
that need to be installed with it.
>

My research on Bibletime shows that KDE is needed. I certainly
could be wrong since I am not familiar with the program.

You could ask about it on the forum.

ToshSat330cds_233Mhz_96Mb_4Gb-VLL5.9Final
IBMnetvista_2Ghz_1Gb_30Gb-VL5.9.1/MSxp
ToshSatPro4600_700Mhz_512MB_20Gb-VL5.9.1/MSnt
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 11:14:35 pm »

From what I understand bibletime is a KDE program.  That means you will need some KDE libraries, not the entire KDE desktop.  You also don't need KDE 4.  If you install bibletime from the repository using gslapt all the dependencies get installed automatically.  I think you'll find there are relatively few.

To use a complete KDE 4.2 desktop you need all 55 packages.

Whether you want a complete KDE or just the one app is entirely up to you.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 01:11:56 am »

when are you going to put them online these packages of kde 4.2

I am going to compile it by myself,because i will most definately not going to buy vl deluxe in order to get kde4.

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 11:45:24 am »

I hope you're not asking me.  I have no clue.  uelsk8s said "soon", whatever that means.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 02:48:54 pm »

I am going to compile it by myself,because i will most definately not going to buy vl deluxe in order to get kde4.

I wouldn't buy VL Deluxe in order to get KDE4 either, but I would (and did) buy it in order to provide much-needed financial support to VL.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 12:49:53 pm »

I wouldn't buy VL Deluxe in order to get KDE4 either, but I would (and did) buy it in order to provide much-needed financial support to VL.
--GrannyGeek
yes of course.That is a good cause, for those who have money. I dont even own a credit card.
* blurymind is a poor boy

Probably packages are not going to come soon to the repo though.  Roll Eyes
And that would mean that I'm not going to package kde apps,that i want to get for myself and the repo pretty soon.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 12:52:18 pm by blurymind » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: