VectorLinux
August 22, 2014, 01:19:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Skype security  (Read 2101 times)
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« on: December 10, 2008, 06:05:03 pm »

I've heard that the Skype version for Windows has lots of spyware on it. Does the Linux version of Skype that we can get through repos have spyware also?

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 07:05:59 pm »

The repo version simply downloads the binaries from the Skype website and installs them in the right places.
So, in that sense, there's nothing "special" about the package you can get from the repo. Whatever problems the skype binaries have will be there for the repo package.

The skype version of Linux is different from the one on Windows, so maybe one cannot instantly extrapolate from one platform to the other. Also, maybe it helps if you're running a secure system (not logging in as root, etc..), which tends to be easier or more common in Linux than in Windows.

A lot of the comments I've seen are somewhat paranoid. People see in their firewalls that skype starts all sorts of connections to other computers and get scared. But that is just how skype works and is probably the reason why it works so well.

Then again, just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you...  Wink
I don't know what kind of things skype might monitor on our computers.... Skype is proprietary software, you cannot see the  source code, and the protocol it uses is also not open. If that concerns you, you might want to try some open-source alternatives that use the sip protocol (I don't think we have any alternatives in the repos... somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Perhaps unfortunately, nothing else I've tried works as well as skype... but that would depend on your requirements.
deNiros

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 04:46:28 pm »

I've heard that the Skype version for Windows has lots of spyware on it. Does the Linux version of Skype that we can get through repos have spyware also?

Just recently i monitored the windows version of skype's behaviour with filemon. when skype starts it runs queries on all your history, so all the files you recently opened and stuf. Also on your internet history, favourites, index.dat. It writes a supercookie (flash cookie) to the flash shared objects (dunno the content of that) and lots more.

The linux version only checks the data in your firefox profile (history, favourites, etc), as far as i know. But i am not sure. Perhaps you can check it our yourself with "strace" (a similar tool like filemon on windows)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strace

I can't check it because i wanna keep my main operating system clean ( which is linux). So i have no skype installed on linux. And on windows i install all the spyware, like skype, since i only use that OS for gaming, and nothing more so there is no private data to share.

There is probably a reason why skype is for "free".

----------------------
Distro: VL 5.8 -- Kernel: 2.6.18.5
MSI P965 NEO-f socket 775 - Core2duo E6300- 2 GB PC6400 XMS memory - MSI NX7600GT passive - WD 250GB harddrive S-ata - LITE-ON  DVDRW SH-16A7S S-ata
+ my server ==> vl 5.8 on Mini-itx Epia EN15000 with 250GB samsung pata disk
----------------
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: