VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 03:16:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Issue with vlliveinstaller ... [CLOSED]  (Read 6757 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 07:50:03 am »

The ISO can not be corrupt if the md5sum check was OK, but you could have a bad burn or an incompatibility between the cd-r media and the reader.

After a hard reset have you tried to exit gparted and use the partitions made on the previous attempt?
It is also possible to comment out the lines in the installer that start gparted.
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 03:42:46 pm »

After a hard reset have you tried to exit gparted and use the partitions made on the previous attempt?
I can't exit Gparted without falling in this dead lock saying "Please wait...Remounting partitions".
If I choose "No" in the opening window the installe rdoes not continue?

It is also possible to comment out the lines in the installer that start gparted.
Yes, this would be an option if you could tell me how to find the vlliveinstaller sript and what to do?
I think it's not an easy task because installer is running from CD-read only.

Would you recommend to download the iso again? Where is the newest version to get?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 03:55:49 pm by Cariboo » Logged

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 07:14:10 pm »

open /sbin/vliveinstall in a text editor as root.
comment out all uncommented lines starting with line #48 and ending with line #71
then run the installer as you normally would
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 06:25:01 am »

I did so and the installer asked a few questions but at the end it didn't install...

I am at the end of the rope now and I throw the white towel.....
It seems my hardware causes all kind of problems....
I'm migrating to Puppy which, I noticed, is more suited for these old machines..

I thank all of you at this great forum who where so helpful and supportive to me,
and my special thanks go to uelsk8s for his patience..

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 05:21:49 am »

I'm a Puppy user (2.17 at present) and it's a great distro but I wouldn't use it as my only one. There's VL Light for people with older hardware.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 05:33:15 am »

I am at the end of the rope now and I throw the white towel.....
It seems my hardware causes all kind of problems....
I'm migrating to Puppy which, I noticed, is more suited for these old machines..

I never was able to get Puppy Linux to work on my older equipment.  When I pointed that out in my blog after being hounded for a review I was made the target of personal attacks by members of the Puppy Linux community.  One idiot even issued a death threat.  Thanks, but no thanks.  No Puppy for me, now or ever, unless the personal attacks are removed from their forum and an apology is issued.  I think it's likely hell will freeze over before that happens.

I think a lot of your issues stem from gparted and the live installer.  If you downloaded the conventional (installable but non-live) iso for VL Light it would probably work for you.  I've found VL Light 6.0 beta 2 to be remarkably stable despite being beta code.  You may want to give that a whirl.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2009, 03:57:37 am »

I've been lucky I suppose, Puppy installed first time for me.

May I comment on the rest? I see Puppy as my distro at least as much as Vector is.

Very sorry about the death threat on DistroWatch. I don't think the person who issued the death threat was a member of the Puppy forum btw. Unfortunately there are such people online.

AlienJeff stuck up for you in that thread on the Puppy forum (which I've seen). Personal attacks? Mostly people were just defending their distro. I did see one or two sexist comments, unfortunately Linux is a male and geeky world for the most part. I'd like to see more female devs and tech writers like yourself.

That Belgian guy ShakaZ who kept posting the same attack isn't someone I've seen on the Puppy forum at all (and I visit it a lot). It hurts to be attacked online, I know that only too well.

Puppy does allow criticism on its forum, someone today posted a thread saying he'd had problems with its stability.

Best,

Colonel Panic.

P.S. I normally enjoy your journalism (I didn't realise at first that you were Caitlyn Martin) and hope one day you'll rethink your position on not trying or reviewing Puppy. Puppy 4 is growing into a pretty decent distro IMO, though I think most of its issues got ironed out by Puppy 3.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 04:03:05 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: