VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 01:55:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing the Login screen  (Read 1708 times)
xjy79

« on: December 12, 2008, 10:48:45 pm »

Hello.  I have been using Vector Linux 6.0 beta2 for for 2 days now.  It has been a great experience!!  I am using an Acer Aspire One and have had a difficult time locating a distro that worked good on this machine.  Vector Linux seems like the first one that I can just set up and use, without having to tweak and experiment with just to keep it working.  That being said, earlier today I was using Gslapt to upgrade packages.  I used the, view > upgradable, option so it just showed me the upgrades for packages that were already installed.  Unfortunately  I do not recall all packages that were updated, except for, kdelibs, and XFCE4. Everything seemed fine until reboot.  Somehow my login screen was changed from the beautiful default one to what appears to be a KDE one, (which seems strange, since kde is not loaded, just XFCE and LVM??). 

I did change around some settings in the display manager under VASM. 

I am hoping to get the original login screen back. Any help will be appreciated. Please forgive me if I left out any important information.  I am new to this.

thanx    b
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 12:09:48 am »

first thing to try, open up /etc/rc.d/rc.X in an editor as root.
change line 11 from DISPLAY_MANAGER=KDM to DISPLAY_MANAGER=GDM
then reboot
let us know if that fixed it.
xjy79

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 08:01:28 pm »

Grin

Thank You So Much!!!

You are wonderful.  I am really liking Vector Linux and this community as well.
If you have time, could you explain exactly what you had me change??  Or just let me know where I can go to learn more.  I really would like to learn more and hopefully I can be one of the people helping others here as you did for me.

thank you again

b
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 08:10:51 pm »

you changed from the kdm display manager to the gdm display manager.

the VL docs are here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/
there are lots of man pages and docs on your system
you can always ask questions and read the threads in the forum
xjy79

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 09:50:51 am »

I really appreciate your help.  Now that this issue is solved I can start to learn thanks to the info you gave me.

Thank you.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 11:24:08 am »

you are welcome.

most all GUI programs have a help menu. most all CL programs have a man or info page.
try "man tar" in a terminal

Uelsk8s
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: