VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 08:37:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Madtux closed after 8 years due to ecconomic conditions.  (Read 10307 times)
metvas
Vectorite

« on: December 13, 2008, 09:44:18 pm »

Hello:
As you all know we were hosted by Madtux for some time. Due to security problems and a poor business relationship we moved to SQI servers. We have had no problems since then...
Madtux has been forced to close there doors after eight years. They routinely refused to listen to any type of advice, not that ours was the golden egg but......we are still here !! I would expect some other casualties along the way.

We will be improving our site over the next while so we do not follow the same path. Rodrigo will be heading up that project as he has the most knowledge with our site software of Zope and Plone. SQI has agreed to help us with this work, there expertise as usual is far reaching and has helped us a lot.
SQI signed us up with Google Analytics and we have weekly reports on our site traffic in great detail. This has been tracked now for several months. We have been discussing some possible changes for some time now.
Any suggestions or creative criticisms can be posted here at your convenience. We will be removing the link to the pre-installed machines.
Thanks to all for all your efforts and forward thinking. Thanks Rodrigo for your help with this project.
Regards
metvas

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 12:11:20 am »

Sad news about Mad Tux.  I've heard other complaints about their service but they were offering preloaded Linux systems very early on.  Now that preloaded Linux systems are mainstream it must have been awfully hard for them to compete unless they offered exemplary service.  Still... I hate to see them go.

I'm writing this on a brand new Sylvania g netbook running VL 6 rc1.  It came with gOS (an Ubuntu derivative) preinstalled.  It came from J&R Music World via Amazon.com.  I used to shop at J&R every once in a while when I lived in New York City.  How does a site like Mad Tux compete with Amazon.com and established brick and mortar stores?  Sadly it can't.

-Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 12:27:56 pm »

I just ordered one (sylvania g netbook).  Want to look it over and then give it to a client who knows nothing of computers.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
dawnsboy
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 01:53:55 pm »

Sad news about Mad Tux.  I've heard other complaints about their service but they were offering preloaded Linux systems very early on.

I agree; even though I have personal knowledge of customer service issues. I purchased a system from Madtux with VL 5.8 SOHO pre-installed for my daughter.  It was inexpensive and well constructed.  It will be in our home for several years to come.

I'm writing this on a brand new Sylvania g netbook running VL 6 rc1.  It came with gOS (an Ubuntu derivative) preinstalled.

I am happy to see that VL 6 can accomodate the G Netbook.  I am going to have a go at installing VL 6 on my Eeepc 701. 

Custom Mini-Itx - VL6.0 Light
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 02:25:26 pm »

I just ordered one (sylvania g netbook).  Want to look it over and then give it to a client who knows nothing of computers.

John

John:

Fair warning.  The hardware on the g is brilliant.  The software as shipped is horrific and gives you a truly crippled system.  If you're going to give this machine to someone who knows nothing about computers they are going to absolutely HATE it and with very good reason.  Don't give it to your client unless you are willing to fix the problems first.  Otherwise return the thing and get a g Meso instead.  The price difference isn't that big anymore.

OK, here are the issues with the g:

1.  It ships with gOS 2.92, a beta with issues.  It can be upgraded to gOS 3.0 using an iso on the Sylvania site.  You need an external (usb) CD drive to install it. 

2.  gOS 2.92 comes with a Realtek wireless driver that is the absolute pits.  It has very limited range and drops connections.  gOS 3.0 does fix this or else you can blacklist the driver and install one that actually works.  FWIW, VL 6 has the same awful driver.

3.  The processor is a 1.2GHz Via C7-M ULV which supports frequency scaling.  In gOS 2.92 or 3.0 you have an old 2.6.24.x kernel that doesn't have this support.  If you don't install a kernel patch the system comes up underclocked to 600MHz (yes, half speed) and is slow and can't be changed.  Once patched powernowd does work well.  (vcpufreq in VL6 works out of the virtual box.)

4.  gOS 2.92 or 3.0 ships with an older proprietary Via Chrome video driver with broken 3D acceleration.  Upgrading to the newest open source Via Chrome driver fixes the problem.  3D works well with the new driver.

5.  gOS makes their system idiot proof by hiding the terminal and any tools needed to install or upgrade software.  It comes with a beta of Firefox 3 which is buggy and insecure.  It comes with an insecure kernel too.  You need to edit the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications to reenable Synaptic (the GUI package manager) and gnome-terminal or else create launchers for them.  For a new user I'd also install update manager which pops up an icon in the panel when updates are needed.

6.  Some apps are poorly configured and open in windows that are too large for the screen resolution.  Make sure your client knows about ALT+mouse drag to move windows where you can't see the title bar.

If you fix all those things then you do have a brilliant little machine.  I love mine.  I just don't recommend it for anyone who isn't computer savvy.  OTOH, if you fix all those things for your client he'll just thing the Sylvania is a great product  Grin

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 06:11:23 pm »

Caitlyn,

Here is a description of the machine I ordered.

1 of Sylvania GNET28001ON Meso 8.9-Inch Netbook PC (1.6 GHz Intel Atom
Processor, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, Ubuntu OS, 4 Cell Battery) Black

I gather it is not the same as the g meso?

Anyway, I will have fun with it and if I have to make the changes, will do so.

As to madtux, I ordered two machines from them, last one about a year ago..  They both still work fine.  Too bad they are gone.

John

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 11:44:32 pm »

Hi, John,

You ordered the Sylvania g Meso which is NOT the same machine I have.  Yours runs Ubuntu Netbook Remix and should work just fine right out of the box.  The processor and video chipset are both different than my machine so I have no idea how well yours would be supported by VL 6.  I hope you got one with 1GB of RAM and not 512MB.

The g Meso is nice.  It was $50 more than mine at the time and it's bigger and heavier than mine.  I wanted the smallest, lightest machine I could afford Smiley

Let us know how the g Meso works out for you.

All the best,
Cait

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 02:07:57 pm »

Caitlyn,

I'm pretty sure it has 1g RAM. 

One of the first things I plan on doing when it arrives is to see what would be involved in loading Vector on it, probably VL 6.  I likely will ask neverstoplearning to help with that project.

Interesting, isn't it, that Bush allows Madtux etc to fail, but finds others "too big to fail." It may well be that some companies now are so big fthat we can't allow them to fail, but, if so, its in great part because Bush has totally ignored our anti-trust laws for 8 years. 

Monopoly is truly the cancer of capitalism.  Seventy years ago, we probably had 20 or more American companies making automobiles.   Madtux's demise is likely at least partially a result of our refusal to address the problems of monopoly. 

John

never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 11:24:44 pm »

John - If you can, grab the HP MiniNote 2133 instead. Some of the good folks here worked with Leo and Jeff at SQI so that we have the 'customized' VL6 with drivers, etc. Everything loads/works out of the box. I just installed 6.0 on the 10 MiniNotes for the school district/Lions/Charter remote learning trial and I am most impressed.....

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 11:28:49 pm »

I think John already has his Sylvania g Meso in route.

BTW, the HP MiniNote and my original Sylvania g use the same processor, the Via C7-M ULV at 1.2GHz.  I wonder what else they have in common Smiley

Vector and Uelsk8s have done a great job getting all the hardware support for my netbook in place for VL 6.0 and I think they'll happily do the same for anyone else who reports issues with a given model.  Everything works now but the OpenChrome video driver is a bit flaky.  A real Via driver will have to be built.  We'll see who gets it done first Smiley

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 12:28:18 am »

Never_stop_learning

Thanks for the tip, but I already ordered the g meso.  Should arrive tomorrow.  The g meso has a smaller Hard drive but faster processor and is about $70 cheaper than the HP MiniNote 2133 on Amazon. 

Perhaps you will help if I buy you a good cigar?  Still $50 cheaper.

John

never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 10:20:22 am »

If both netbooks use the same hardware/drivers, we can use the same .iso I used for the MiniNotes.....

Now.....when we are talking cigars, we are talking a cigar that I smoke as opposed to one of your regular cigars.....?  Wink Tongue Grin

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 07:47:34 pm »

Monopoly is truly the cancer of capitalism.

Down with capitalism

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 03:58:26 pm »

It has arrived. Once I figure out how to load Vector 6 beta on the g meso, I will report.

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 04:39:35 pm »

Two methods I can think of:

1>  USB CD-ROM drive.  If you have one that is the easiest.
2>  Load a Linux distro (doesn't have to be VL) on a USB stick or an SD card.  Adjust your BIOS to boot off the external device.  Use gparted, parted, etc... to reduce the size of your Ubuntu partition to make room for VL (~5GB will do).  Copy the VL iso to the external device.  Loop mount the iso on your Ubuntu box.  Copy the vinstall-iso script to your Ubuntu partition.  Use vinstall-iso to do a hosted install into the new partition you created.

HTH,
Cait

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: