VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 02:50:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Madtux closed after 8 years due to ecconomic conditions.  (Read 10642 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 12:48:56 am »

I downloaded 6.0.  God only knows if I did that right.  I have never installed 6.0. Using usb cd-rom, it started to install and got an undefined video driver 317 error early on, then a buffer I/0 error on devise sv0 357750 which it went past, then an unable to locate any installable media error (can't find setup.conf).  Wouldn't go past that error. Missed the ability in 5.9 to check the installation disk.

So, being quite familiar with 5.9, (partitioned 2000 swap, 12000 root and rest to home). I tried that and it worked fine with Vesa.  But Vesa is not very acceptable as the symbols are pretty big for that small screen. Left instructions for g meso at office and will look tomorrow to see if I can figure out a better video setting.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 05:05:48 pm »

OK, John, you're using the GUI installer, right?  Don't.  That media error is the same thing I got.  The text based installer works just fine.  Type in "linux" instead of just hitting enter.  sv0 sounds like a memory card.  Did you have one in the media slot?

Video mode 317 is 1024x600, the native resolution of your netbook.  The VL installer doesn't know from it or the 800x480 used on the smaller netbooks.  Vesa is giving you 640x480 or maybe 800x600.  Things will look squashed and just plain ugly.  Simply put, the VL installer is NOT netbook ready.  What I did was to copy the xorg.conf from the default (factory) install of gOS (or Ubuntu in your case) and edit where needed.  In my case the driver used by VL was different from gOS or Ubuntu.  My system doesn't have the Intel graphics card yours has so I don't know what driver it uses.  Anyway, you're going to need to hand-edit the xorg.conf file.  An automated installation isn't going to happen.

Good luck,
Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 05:18:58 pm »

The g meso worked so well on vl 5.9 that I showed it to the client, who was in today for other reasons.  He played bubbles on it and generally loved it so I let him take it home.  It seems rock solid. 

I see him usually weekly, so will play around with xorg.config during those times.  I am not sure upgrading to VL 6 at this time is worth the hassle. Thanks for letting me know about this wonderful little machine.    I looked on Amazon to see about getting another and notice the price seems to have gone up quite a bit.

John
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 05:26:09 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: