VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: pentium mmx vector linux kernel  (Read 1760 times)

petebarchetta

pentium mmx vector linux kernel
« on: December 20, 2008, 02:33:23 am »

hello all,
Can u tell me if there was ever a pentium mmx kernel in existence to utilise the extra functions that the cpu has
Also how easy is it to add an additional kernel choice to the ide and linux kernel choices that vl gives?
Toshiba Tecra 520cdt (P166mmx,160mb ram, 40gb sata HD-  VL 5.9 Final (in progress)
Compaq DeskproEN (PIII733,384mb ram, 20gb HD) - Debian (knoppix 5.1)
Toshiba Tecra M3 - XP :(

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
Re: pentium mmx vector linux kernel
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 07:36:51 am »

MMX technology is from 1996, so yes the Linux kernel has been using that technology now for a LONG time.
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

petebarchetta

Re: pentium mmx vector linux kernel
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 03:10:05 am »

as long as the kernel uses the benefits of the mmx part of the cpu and differentiates between that and a normal pentium cpu then that puts my mind at rest
Didnt want to waste the benefits of my cpu and therfore saves me compiling a kernel from scratch
Toshiba Tecra 520cdt (P166mmx,160mb ram, 40gb sata HD-  VL 5.9 Final (in progress)
Compaq DeskproEN (PIII733,384mb ram, 20gb HD) - Debian (knoppix 5.1)
Toshiba Tecra M3 - XP :(