VectorLinux
August 22, 2014, 09:11:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 6.0 beta 2: can't log in, accounts not created... Help?  (Read 1390 times)
Gullible Jones

« on: December 18, 2008, 05:58:35 pm »

I successfully installed 6.0b2 on my laptop (Acer Aspire 3680); however, I was unable to log in, either as root or as normal user. Booting into a live environment, mounting my HDD partitions, and chrooting in showed that the user account I had supposedly created during install had not, in fact, been generated. However, /etc/shadow clearly showed that the root user has a password and is not locked; nonetheless, the password evidently is not the correct one, as I cannot log in as root either.

Is this a known bug, or rather, known bugs? Is it possible to make the graphical installer use the passwords I want and create the user accounts I want, or do I have to use the text installer? Or is there no solution, i.e. this is what I get for using a beta?
Gullible Jones

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 06:51:57 pm »

Okay, the first problem with accounts not being created was a stupid error on my part - I hadn't clicked the "create account" button.  Embarrassed

However, the issue with logins not working seems to be very real; I think it may be a bug in the installer. Can someone please look into this?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 07:05:23 pm »

Did you complete the configuration steps?

If you did, you should have at least been able to log in as root.
In the GUI installer, if you fill in the user information, and click the next button, it will silently create the user account for you, otherwise it will prompt you to create one or continue.

Gullible Jones

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 07:34:42 pm »

Yeah, I completed all the steps properly... It appears that the GUI installer is not properly setting the passwords for root and other users, as I can only log in if I've installed with the text installer - trying to login after a GUI install invariably gets me "password is incorrect". /etc/shadow does contain the checksums of passwords, but they must not be the correct ones.

(For what it's worth, this bug is still present in VL 6.0 RC2.)

Edit: maybe this isn't the right forum... Which one is used for installer bug reports? Sorry if I sound pompous, I just feel this is a rather serious bug in the graphical installer.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 09:53:04 pm by Gullible Jones » Logged
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 11:50:54 pm »

You want to post in the rc2 bug thread located in the Distro Development section of the forum.  You are absolutely correct that this isn't the right place to get the developers to notice and fix a problem.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: