VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 10:01:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 Standard RC1 feedback and bug reports  (Read 48876 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2008, 11:41:22 am »

Did you enable the ifplugd service?
Yes.

In fact, I can see in the verbose output where it brings up the interface, shows it's IP address and all
but once the system is fully booted, I got no IP address, no internet access. Until I do dhcpcd eth0 or click the wicd tray icon that is

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2008, 11:51:58 am »

Check the thread I mentioned above in the EDIT, it worked for me.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2008, 12:55:48 pm »

I didn't see this mentioned yet...the desktop link to the forum is old (vectorlinux.com/forum2 which of course should be forum.vectorlinux.com).
In other "news" I still get Thunar locking up at random and seems very slow to start copy/move/delete operations. In loading virtual box 2.1.0 there is a "missing" dependency to libcap.so.1 (easily corrected by creating a symlink to libcap.so.2.10).

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2008, 01:09:55 pm »

I then set up /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 and rc.inet1:0 as I used to have in 5.8 and 5.9. After a restart they worked ok, so I'll stick to that for now...

Do you mean rc.inet0 and rc.inet1 or do you really mean irc.inet1:0 ??

FWIW, I've to do this via vasm, setting up interfaces, and nothing is getting me anywhere.

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2008, 02:12:40 pm »

They start with rc.inet, of course. I prefer to edit them manually, but what you really need to do is to make them executable.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2008, 02:17:59 pm »

Ok... I just tried here at work on a virtual machine. Here is the results

wicd is enabled for init 2 and init 4
so I disabled it from both runlevels
enabled ifplugd and inetd for both runlevels
enabled rc.inet0 (chmod +x)

This of course with the uncommented lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.M

Seems to be working here... I'll have to try it on my real box @ home

pevsner

« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2008, 06:32:29 pm »

Vector.
Re earlier post regarding .font.conf file in Home dir (a bit experimental testing).
rgba is not a valid <const> entry, (I saw though qtconfig) so popped in "none" (as below) which seems to work.
It may be that I am using an lcd monitor via vga cable?

<fontconfig>
<!-- Enable sub-pixel rendering -->
<match target="font" >
       <edit mode="assign" name="rgba" >
               <const>none</const>
        </edit>
</match>
NewB

« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2008, 09:48:36 pm »

I'm falling in late here and honestly, I haven't read the previous 8 pages in this thread, so I hope this isn't already mentioned.

My first impression is "Wow, this installer looks good!"  I'm from the old original console installer days.

The Gparted section was confusing though.  Once I had partitioned, there wasn't an obvious "Next" step.  I had to know that Gparted was a separate app and Exit it from the odd menu embedded within the middle of the window.  This isn't obvious to new users IMHO.

Is there any way to know that the partitioning is complete so that the Next button can be used to close gparted and go to the next step?

I'm installing now and hoping that setting partitions as bootable is still later in the process, because I didn't see it in gparted.

Thanks guys!
NewB

« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2008, 10:10:55 pm »

Impressive, no major issues so far.

I am installing a test/development system in vmware right now, so that may be a fairly controlled environment.

I took the devils advocate position on xorg configuration and allowed it to try to auto configure.  It produced usable but odd results.  Had I taken the vesa route I probably would be slightly better, but for the ease of use, it looks fine.

I still think Vector is much more user friendly than Ubuntu that gets all the press.  You guys are on the right track.

Great job!
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2008, 10:36:06 pm »

I just tried to set up wxCam on VL60 RC1, something I have done often on VL5.9 and once even on VL6.0 beta 1.2.

I have never had a problem before but this time I get an error in the terminal...

ken:$ wxcam
Using video4linux 1 API
VIDIOCSYNC:  Invalid argument

Then the gui also gives me an error..
"An error has occured during frame capture.  Please check the "frame format" options in the preferences menu.

What is the difference (if any) between the gspca_main driver that is preloaded in VL6.0 rc1 and gspcav1-20071224 from
mxhaard.free.fr, which I usually use?

Reaaally appreciate the work, thanks.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2008, 01:04:29 am »

Enabling the firewall via VASM does nothing (as verified with iptables -L) except when you enable the firewall at boot - then it hangs at 'starting firewall'. Had to boot using a live CD and delete the rc.firewall file to be able to boot into Vector again. This issue was resolved using Firestarter in 5.9 but I don't see Firestarter in the 6.0 repositories.....

Downloaded Guarddog from LinuxPackages.net - works fine.....

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
tanelle

« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2008, 01:47:59 am »

As said above; it all looks great. I found only some minor issues so far:
  • Every time I boot, sound is muted, both pcm and master
  • I tried to switch windowmanager, on clicking the sessionbutton the login freezes

Running VL since 2002.Ubuntu and VL6.0 final on Thinkpad dualcore 1.6ghz /1 gb. VL 5.8 SoHo on mediapc 2.8ghz/768mb vl5.8 std+kde on 1 daughter's pc 550mhz/192mb other daughter runs Ubuntu 8.10.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #117 on: December 30, 2008, 05:14:24 pm »

@stretchedthin: I can not comment on the driver differences but I did just compile and install wxCam 1.0.3 (with its several dependencies) and it works as it should with my HP webcam.
------
echo tanelle with the sound being muted on reboot (does it help to have several people report the same issue?)

Also noted the locate gives the following for a user:
Code:
locate: fatal error: Could not find user database '/var/lib/slocate/slocate.db':  Permission denied
Of course as root there are no issues. I tried changing permissions on the slocate.db to allow users to have read privs but no change in the error. I then changed the privs on the folder "slocate" to allow users to have read access and that "fixed" it until I run slocate -u as root again. The permissions are then changed back to no access on the slocate.db.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 05:22:24 pm by MikeCindi » Logged

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2008, 10:22:34 pm »

@stretchedthin: I can not comment on the driver differences but I did just compile and install wxCam 1.0.3 (with its several dependencies) and it works as it should with my HP webcam.
------
Thanks for the tip.  I was using version wxCam 1.0.2.. Seeing that 1.0.3. worked for you I tried it and it worked perfectly.
Thanks again.
Ken

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
tanelle

« Reply #119 on: December 31, 2008, 03:33:11 am »

echo tanelle with the sound being muted on reboot (does it help to have several people report the same issue?)

No it doesn't. but found no results on 'sound' for the last 20 days.But to your satistaction I ran through all 8 pages, there are some sound issues but they are about sound not working, mine works, but is muted after boot. There is a topic about sound muted at boottime but it handles about alsamixer, wich instruction I followed, but sound is still muted in xfce4-mixer after boot.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 04:18:54 am by tanelle » Logged

Running VL since 2002.Ubuntu and VL6.0 final on Thinkpad dualcore 1.6ghz /1 gb. VL 5.8 SoHo on mediapc 2.8ghz/768mb vl5.8 std+kde on 1 daughter's pc 550mhz/192mb other daughter runs Ubuntu 8.10.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: