VectorLinux
September 17, 2014, 05:18:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 Standard RC1 feedback and bug reports  (Read 46271 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: December 21, 2008, 09:41:26 pm »

Please post any comments, bug reports, etc here with regards to the RC1 release.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 07:41:48 am »

Do I assume that RC1 is no different to Beta 2.10?
If that is the case then please see my bug reports from 2 days ago:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7908.msg54651#msg54651
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7908.msg54652#msg54652

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 07:49:23 am »

Nice work on the appearance sector.
Love the xcfe4 splash screen, and the twist on the default wall paper. Looks really good

ALT+F2 dialog works

The slapt-update notifier worked out of the box on first boot, but about 3 reboots later, only the client was running, not the daemon...

That's all I got.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 08:29:45 am »

Do I assume that RC1 is no different to Beta 2.10?
If that is the case then please see my bug reports from 2 days ago:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7908.msg54651#msg54651
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7908.msg54652#msg54652
RC1 is not the same as Beta 2.10.
I think we have your bugs fixed, and some of the typo's even.
the hp device manager will start in systray if you install hplip.

Keep the bug reports coming.
Uelsk8s
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 09:17:15 am »

GUI installer worked well for me doing a full install and installing lilo to partition sector. The only minor (very minor) issue I noticed was on the last page (installation is completed) the text tells you to click on Next to restart but the button is labled Restart.

So far everything appears to work appart from I have to connect to my network manually avery time I boot, was the same in last beta I tried (B2.2).

I will try installing on one of my other machines and report back.

Chris
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 10:45:27 am »

Nice catch on that button text.
Fixed it. Changes will be reflected on the next RC

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 11:38:20 am »

Right. Multiple installs on two different machines. This is becoming a bit confusing....

First, the lockups I've mentioned a couple of times. First install on the laptop ended up the same way - complete the first stage of the install, reboot, go through the final configuration, lockup before reaching the GUI login. This time I left it for 20 minutes before I powered off. I think I may have found a way to avoid the problem, though I have no idea why it is occuring.

On the second install to the T42, when it rebooted, I edited the Grub command line, changed it from splash=silent to splash=quiet (on the basis that I've noticed a couple of times that I don't seem to get the lockups if I can get to verbose splash screen mode before it goes through the final stage of the boot to GUI. I'll have to prove it with more installs, but it worked - straight through to GMD without any lockup.

Problems (sorry, but there are several...). First, on the T42, volume is set to 0 (I suspect due to the fact that it registering 'default' rather than the correct device. If I adjust the volume, next time I boot, it is back to 0. This does not happen on a TUI install, but in those circumstances, I have to option to select the correct device during Alsa setup. This is consistent on both the T42 and the old PIII machine.

ALT-F2 still doesn't work on the T42, but does work on the PIII. Not a hardware problem, since it does work on the T42 under Zenwalk 5.2, VL5.9 Standard and VL5.9 SOHO. I have no idea what is causing that problem...

Inconsistency. VasmCC launched from the toolbar uses vsuper. Launched from the menu, it uses kdesu.

Vsuper is also (for the first time in my experience), inconsistent in operation. In a number of instances, it starts, I get a flash of something, and it goes away. After which, I get a partial wait mouse cursor for 30 seconds or more. I've noticed this behaviour when using it from the Thunar right-click menu especially - installing a number of packages from a directory will have it fail if I try to do it too fast. Every time it fails, I get the partial wait cursor.

More Vsuper. IMHO it is an unforgivable breach of security to have it default to saving the root password for the 'session'. In my case, a 'session' can be months. This default really needs to be changed. On a less serious note, I'm not real sure I like the screen darkening effects - reminds me far too much of another OS. I also wonder if the load of going through that routine is what causing the unreliable operation I'm seeing.

I found an Elsa Synergy AGP card to drop into the old PIII, which works much better - I can now get the full 1280x1024 x 24 bit colour on that machine. It was able to go through the GUI install without problems. The only oddity is that it doesn't like the splash screen and defaults to verbose mode during boot.

There is a minor glitch in the TUI install - I'll have to check the message, but as it starts the configuration phase, there is an error regarding gsb desktop. I'll copy it down on my next test install... I also note that when I use the TUI install, there is an extra Lilo option - Linux, Linux TUI, and Linux GUI. The last one is not present when Lilo is installed by the GUI install.

More later....

paul.
Ruut2

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 11:40:57 am »

I just grabbed the ISO and started to install it on a machine i have here on a sata hdd.

I dont know what kind of detailed info you need or where i can get it, but i get to the install portion and just as soon as it gets ready to install on the selected, partitioned hdd;  it crashes to the desktop with the menu button in the corner..and thats it.  it doesnt do anything else.

So, im grabbing the 5.9 version and we'll see how that goes.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 01:57:46 pm »

Vcpufreq is still non-functional on system start:

Code:
./rc.local: /sbin/vcpufreq-load: /usr/bin/gbx: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Permissions on /etc/rc.d have changed:

Code:
drwxr----- 10 root root   4096 2008-12-22 21:01 rc.d/

while 5.9 (and, I think, earlier betas of 6.0) had this:

Code:
drwxr-xr-x 10 root root   4096 2008-10-24 10:52 rc.d/

sbbuilder is installed, but Template is not set up, so it is unusable as installed.

Smiley Back to insalling.....

Sorry, just noticed an error in my first message - it is not VasmCC that is inconsistent. Vcpufreq started from the toolbar uses vsuper, but started from the System menu uses kdesu.

paul.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 02:00:59 pm by toothandnail » Logged
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 01:58:04 pm »

VL 6.0 RC1
=======

Installer
=====

1) immediately after loading init.gz the VL splash screen comes up but flashes three times before the graphical installer is loaded. Is this flashing necessary? - it could be off-putting for many newbs.
2) System Administrator Password screen: punctuation probs: missing periods or spaces after periods.
3) Create User Accounts Screen: bad English: "Enter password for twice for accuracy"
4) some other screens need English punctuation work as above.

First Boot-Up
========
-on first boot the "Congratulations" text screen. Punctuation probs as above.

VXCONF
=====
-the Select Default Color Depth Screen: formatting messed up ( <OK> sets on top of "none" line).

xfce Menu and apps
============
1) why are there both mousepad and leafpad on the system? - they are identical anyways.
2) is there not a more user friendly pdf reader (but NOT acrobat) that xpdf, ie epdf  (or does it require too many Gnome apps)?
3) vcpufreq raises an "out of bounds" error ([21] Out of Bounds. FMain.?.0). My CPU is not supported but I did not get this error in SOHO 5.9.
4) xfce4 TaskManager occurs twice in System Menu.
5) both vcpufreq and vl-hot-config are still using KDEsu rather than vsuper.
6) none of the three large browsers are set up properly to read or launch a PDF reader properly. This is a no-no for newbs. They have no idea where to find xpdf.
7) Thunar does not have basic file associations set up (eg for .pdf, .mp3, .odt, etc.) This is fine for experienced users who know what application goes with wht, but certainly not for newbs.

OpenBox
======
-menu is still invalid. As we provide lxde why don't we just remove openbox altogether? Anyone interested enough in such can install it later from the repository...

Larry

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 02:20:15 pm »

Vcpufreq is still non-functional on system start:

Code:
./rc.local: /sbin/vcpufreq-load: /usr/bin/gbx: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Permissions on /etc/rc.d have changed:

Code:
drwxr----- 10 root root   4096 2008-12-22 21:01 rc.d/

while 5.9 (and, I think, earlier betas of 6.0) had this:

Code:
drwxr-xr-x 10 root root   4096 2008-10-24 10:52 rc.d/

sbbuilder is installed, but Template is not set up, so it is unusable as installed.

Smiley Back to insalling.....

Sorry, just noticed an error in my first message - it is not VasmCC that is inconsistent. Vcpufreq started from the toolbar uses vsuper, but started from the System menu uses kdesu.

paul.

the line in rc.local should be "/sbin/vcpufreq-loader.gambas"
it is that way in my rc1  Huh

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 02:24:33 pm »

Larry, thanks for testing.

I have fixed the typos and I'm trying to correct the grammar on the strings.

IMO it'd be nice to have someone whose native language is English take a look at the en_US.po file found here
http://code.google.com/p/vinstall-ng/source/browse/branches/iVL/.lang/en_US.po

Point out any typos or grammar / spelling errors.
Pass corrections on to either rbistolfi, uelsk8s, or myself, and we will get these into the binary.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 02:29:02 pm »

VL 6.0 RC1
=======

Installer
=====

1) immediately after loading init.gz the VL splash screen comes up but flashes three times before the graphical installer is loaded. Is this flashing necessary? - it could be off-putting for many newbs.
This is where the video is being setup, we may be able to offer text saying it is going to happen, not sure if we can get rid of it though.
2) System Administrator Password screen: punctuation probs: missing periods or spaces after periods.
3) Create User Accounts Screen: bad English: "Enter password for twice for accuracy"
4) some other screens need English punctuation work as above.

First Boot-Up
========
-on first boot the "Congratulations" text screen. Punctuation probs as above.

VXCONF
=====
-the Select Default Color Depth Screen: formatting messed up ( <OK> sets on top of "none" line).

xfce Menu and apps
============
1) why are there both mousepad and leafpad on the system? - they are identical anyways.
2) is there not a more user friendly pdf reader (but NOT acrobat) that xpdf, ie epdf  (or does it require too many Gnome apps)?
3) vcpufreq raises an "out of bounds" error ([21] Out of Bounds. FMain.?.0). My CPU is not supported but I did not get this error in SOHO 5.9.
I will report this to joe1962, All my cpu's support freq scaling now so i am not seeing this
4) xfce4 TaskManager occurs twice in System Menu.
1 is lxde taskmanager other is xfce taskmanager, I will see if we can remove 1 of them.
6) none of the three large browsers are set up properly to read or launch a PDF reader properly. This is a no-no for newbs. They have no idea where to find xpdf.
7) Thunar does not have basic file associations set up (eg for .pdf, .mp3, .odt, etc.) This is fine for experienced users who know what application goes with wht, but certainly not for newbs.

OpenBox
======
-menu is still invalid. As we provide lxde why don't we just remove openbox altogether? Anyone interested enough in such can install it later from the repository...

Larry
openbox is required for lxde to run.
I can remove the openbox.desktop so it is not seen from GDM or we can get a default menu??
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 02:48:25 pm »

I am confused as to whether RC1 came with the new Gambas2 vcpufreq, or the previous version. If G2, then "/sbin/vcpufreq-loader.gambas" is correct, otherwise it is the G1 version. Also, I do not get the reported error even without loading any cpufreq kernel modules, it simply reports "UNAVAILABLE".

EDIT: I must add that I do not have RC1 yet, I am developing/testing on alfa 1.2!

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 02:53:37 pm »

The new versions of both apps now look for kdesu or gksu, in that order, it is not needed in the .desktop menu file. Perhaps I should reverse this? The reason I did kdesu first was because I was using SOHO then. Is kdesu included in kdelibs?

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: