VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 09:51:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 Standard RC1 feedback and bug reports  (Read 46405 times)
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2008, 10:48:51 am »

Could it be that the modules for the Athlon are not loaded and manually loading them is needed? For my Turion I have modprobe the appropriate kernel module.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2008, 10:58:51 am »

They are loaded, otherwise the /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ directory would not exist (that's when you get "UNAVAILABLE" in vcpufreq). Also, we tested by echoing a number (within the min and max freqs) to /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed and getting it back correctly from /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 11:02:47 am by Joe1962 » Logged

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
JustInterested

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2008, 03:43:41 pm »

Hi... I thought I'd add my findings here for RC1 (posted them in the announcement thread but missed the line where it said to post issues so here they are):

1. As noted in the other post the GUI installer can't find my CD/DVD drive in step 2 when looking for installation media - all OK in text installer though.
2. Sound - it needed to be setup again after install even though I'm sure it was done during installation. No big issue as fix was easy.
3. CUPS - When cups is launched in VASM the browser gives 404 error (File Not Found) for address http://127.0.0.1:631. Was given a hint from user "paul" to use localhost in place of loopback IP and that worked
4. SAMBA - SAMBA config in VASM CC fails - I get Failed to Connect error (for http://127.0.0.1:901/) - The connection was refused when attempting to contact 127.0.0.1:901. I didn't try http://localhost:901 as it was getting a tad late.. 1am and I needed some sleep!
5. K3b - Gives a seg fault when fired up. I tried vburn and had to manually add my burner after it failed to automatically find the CD/DVD burner (an ASUS DRW-1814BLT firmware version 1.10, got that from running  'cdrdao scanbus'). Once done I could burn an iso image that I had just downloaded. I retried K3b after this and it fired up with no seg fault. Could be related to how vburn failed to find the optical drive automatically?
6. cheese - doesn't seem to display my webcam. Looked in dmesg and it seems that the webcam is recognised correctly and drivers are loaded but to no avail when trying to view in cheese.

Anything other info which may help just ask and I'll try to accommodate them.

cheers
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 04:02:28 pm by JustInterested » Logged
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2008, 04:22:33 pm »

I'm getting lockups on startup if I fail to use F2 to put the splash screen into verbose mode. Doesn't happen every boot, but happens around one in three. If it does lock up, I have to power cycle the machine, and I don't get any network on the next boot - have to do a clean restart to get the network back.

If I use F2 or ESC quickly enough, I've had no boot failures. I've also not had this problem with 5.9 (either Standard or SOHO), though I did have a few similar lock ups with earlier betas.

Other than that, stability has been excellent.

paul.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2008, 04:46:33 pm »

They are loaded, otherwise the /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ directory would not exist (that's when you get "UNAVAILABLE" in vcpufreq). Also, we tested by echoing a number (within the min and max freqs) to /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed and getting it back correctly from /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq.

Thanks for the explanation.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2008, 10:53:45 pm »

More Testing
=========

1) LXDE, Menu, Accessories, Root Terminal - does not launch
2) Installed the VL 5.9 Fluxbox package. This causes GDM to hang on first attempt. After a couple of reboots GDM seems OK, but there is no entry in the Sessions box for Fluxbox. OK, this is a 5.9 package for Fluxbox but I would have thought it should still work. Also, IIRC KDM on SOHO 5.9 picked up any newly installed window managers in its session screen.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2008, 08:58:00 am »

I installed RC1 on my Linux-friendly Celeron desktop. No major issues to report. I had to do a hosted install from my VL5.9 partition on this computer because when I installed from a CD, there was a brief mention of an I/O error although the installation went through to completion. (I did a text install from the CD--sorry, I didn't have time to test the GUI installer this time, which I'll never use when Final comes out). It turned out that the first installation (with the I/O error) was messed up big time. I think the CD I used to burn the ISO was of questionable quality. Anyway, I used the hosted install for my second, successful, try.

No major problems. The screens that were too small to show their text (VASMCC, etc.) have been a more reasonable size. I like the default wallpaper. I'm not happy with the clock on the XFce panel because I don't know what modification to use to get rid of those seconds--very annoying, I want just hour and minutes. I'll have to load up beta 2 so I can see what I used there (after reading man pages and experimenting). Some less geeky way of modifying the clock would be welcome. I tried to put back the Orage Clock with its easy-to-change settings but it doesn't display in the panel.

I installed Inkscape from the repos with Gslapt. Still has three missing dependencies, which I copied from my beta 2 to get it working. Sound is fine. I installed Amarok, which I prefer for playing music. No network problems (wired network) and I set up my nfs network easily.

VASMCC from the panel seems to be erratic. That is, sometimes it starts, sometimes I get a delay and a bit of disk activity but VASM never appears. VASM from the desktop icon seems okay. I rarely use the desktop menu to start applications I use often, so I can't say whether it works okay for me.

Would that all computers were as Linux-friendly as this one! This being the holiday season, I don't have time to try RC1 on my other computers.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2008, 09:41:05 am »

Did a hosted install via Grub on my IBM 240. I did not get the GUI installer but the regular Vector installer worked fine and 6.0RC1 actually works better than 5.9 Light on this machine. The firewall GUI still locks up the machine on reboot. I have to go in via the Puppy install I have dual booted on the 240 and delete rc.firewall to boot into 6.0 and then go into VASM and disable the firewall.

I'll report more as I find it.

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2008, 01:10:38 pm »

Heres a little Christmas info for you...
VL60 RC1
Test Machine
-Computer-
Processor      : 2x Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T2400  @ 1.83GHz
Memory      : 3109MB (175MB used)
-Display-
Resolution      : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer      : GeForce Go 7300/PCI/SSE2
X11 Vendor      : (null)
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter      : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel

Since Beta 2.2, I have not been able to use the gui-installer on this machine.  The gui installer simply tells me that it is "Unable to locate any installable media"
As far as I can tell it does not seem to be looking for any media on /dev/sr0
When I use the terminal provided in the gui-installer I can mount /dev/cdr or /dev/sr0 just fine. However, it is just not found by the installer.

Beta 2.1 finds the media just fine.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 01:14:36 pm by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2008, 01:15:12 pm »

Vector 6.0 Rc1

Machine

2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
Memory2004MB (347MB used)
Operating SystemVector Linux 6.0 Standard RC1 Built on Dec-21-0
DisplayResolution1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL RendererGeForce 6150 LE/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW
X11 VendorThe X.Org FoundationMultimedia
Audio AdapterHDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Gui Installer
Still stalls at "VectorLinux is performing final system configuration.  Please wait a moment.
This has happened on this machine since beta 2.0 I believe.
However, even a line that read "reboot (from menu in lower left) in two minutes if you lock on this screen"  would get most users out of this jam.

I experienced an old problem again, and had to run sh x11-fonts-7.2-noarch-2vl59 in /var/log/scripts/ in order to get xserver to launch.  After that everything seemed to go fine.

I seem to have a weird change to my video detection when I have a flashdrive plugged in.  I get a message to hit enter to choose a video mode or space to continue.  This does not happen when the flashdrive is not plugged in.  Oddly enough it does not happen on my other machines at all.

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2008, 01:19:36 pm »

Vector 6.0 Rc1

Machine
-Computer-
Processor      : Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 2.20GHz
Memory      : 493MB (174MB used)
-Display-
Resolution      : 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer      : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 852GM/855GM 20061017 x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor      : (null)
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter      : ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
-IDE Disks-
IC25N020ATCS04-0
QSI CD-RW/DVD-ROM SBW-241
This one goes through the gui install without a hitch as far as getting Vector installed goes.  However this system is where I have my windows xp home partition.
-Does recognize windows partition but does not set up to dual boot. I get an error from lilo.
I will try to capture a picture of the error and send it after Christmas is over.

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2008, 01:24:47 pm »

Heres some stuff that is not particular to any one machine.
-HP-device manager set up my printer without a hitch. 
-I seem to be getting both the icons that would indicate that hal is launching my flashdrive and the icons that would indicate that vl-hot is launching my flashdrive.  It is under mnt/vl-hot where I find the flashdrives files.  This is corrected if I use vasmCC to choose my mounter and restart x.
-'Appearance Settings' application does not seem to do anything.  Is this being developed for a future release? or can I just not figure it out?
-'Database Access Properties' does not launch.
   Generates this error when run in terminal...
             ken:$ gnome-database-properties-3.0
gnome-database-properties-3.0: error while loading shared libraries: libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
-xmms does not have a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications/
-Audio cd's do not play without a lot of fiddling.
-Seamonkey is not a default application when you choose "open with other application" from
  thunars menu.
-can 'Filesystem' be added to "Search for Files and Folders" as a default place to search.  Seems a pain to have to ad it manually every time.
-For the laptops, I like the option of having the installer set up xorg for synaptics but why can't the synaptics driver be loaded by default or at least some additional instruction saying to download from gslapt.
-Character Map has a very poor selection of characters actually available for it.
-I don't know if detection and set-up for sound can be improved and for me I don't care, but a noobie may find themselves fiddling with it an the onset.
Thanks and Merry Christmas and of course Happy Hanuka.

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2008, 02:40:32 pm »

This is more a question than a report. I see that slapt-update-notifier is being loaded in autostart, and running ps shows that it is running. I looked at the config, which suggests that it will check for updates every 4 hours. However, it doesn't seem to do anything. I know there are a couple of updates available, but I've not seen any notification of any sort.

So, what am I doing wrong? How do I get to see the updates  Huh

paul.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2008, 03:22:22 pm »

is the daemon getting started also?
slapt-update-notifier-d

to start it at boot you need to add the gslaptd service to your runlevel or add /etc/rc.d/rc.slapt-update-notifier to rc.local
pevsner

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2008, 06:48:07 pm »

Happy Christmas all.

Trying rc1 on a different box with a geforce fx5200 card which requires nvidia 173.xxx-pkg1 driver, couldnt build against the included module. I tried downgrading nvidia modules with gslapt - got depends vxconf >=5.9, so I included 5.9 repos and still no go.
If VL aims to be for older boxes too I think you should include in repos the nvidia module to support 5200's.
On every build I have tried alphas beta and now rc1 the FONTS are all fuzzy, to me it looks like hinting doesnt work at all. VL 5.9 is perfect font rendering on my lcd 1440x900. I really cant handle fuzzy fonts!!
On login, sometimes clicking root or user image still requires that you type the username then password. I get gdm error on install.

Have a great day!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: