VectorLinux
August 20, 2014, 04:04:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 Standard RC1 feedback and bug reports  (Read 45579 times)
tanelle

« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2008, 04:57:20 am »

Solved my sound issue, xfce does take over the alsa-settings only I didn't know that you have to hit 'M' to unmute a channel in the commandline alsamixer. Xfce4-mixer shows sound at 0 when muted. Still it shouldn't be muted at install.

Running VL since 2002.Ubuntu and VL6.0 final on Thinkpad dualcore 1.6ghz /1 gb. VL 5.8 SoHo on mediapc 2.8ghz/768mb vl5.8 std+kde on 1 daughter's pc 550mhz/192mb other daughter runs Ubuntu 8.10.
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #121 on: December 31, 2008, 06:11:56 am »

When you insert an audio cd it does not mount. If I then try to mount manually I get the following message:

root:# mount /mnt/cdrom
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so

The above is also true in VL6.0 light B1 on a differnt box so I will report there too.

Also if you type the wrong password at the gdm log in screen selecting a user icon then fails to insert the user name so you have to type the user name in manually.

VL6.0 RC1 is running pretty well on this machine although on my old p3 750 box it's starting hanging at the login screen before gdm starts. I will investgate this further.

Chris
carsten
Vectorite

I know why birds sing ...

« Reply #122 on: December 31, 2008, 06:32:52 am »

Hy together,
I installed VL 6.0 RC1 on my box and it is really marvelous!  Cheesy

So far only this minor issues:

1) CUPS
When installing the Samsung Unified Driver for my Samsung CLP300N, the script stops with the message "Could not restart CUPS". No printer driver was available.
I deinstalled CUPS via gslapt, restarted the Samsung script, reinstalled CUPS and now it is fine

2) Sound
ALSA did only recognize my on-board sound chip. I had to run hwconfig without X to get a proper setup of my Ensoniq PCI Soundcard

3) Crossover
Menu entry for Crossover not generated during install. Anyway, Crossover working

4) 2nd DVD not recognized
Only one of my 2 DVD drives are available presently. I have to sort it out the next days

5) XMMS Menue entry
Missing in Combat. Anyhow, XMMS is running fine

6) Network
Wired network has to be started manually all the time, I have to sort this out as well

7) Numlock
Numlock down on start. As far as I remeber I have to install this little app "Numlock" to have the gear in after start

Nothing else so far and nothing really critical. The installer is really nice. Also the "Lock-in Screen" is in the best traditions of Vector  Grin
Happy New Year to everbody outa there,

carsten

Tam exacte ut oportet, non ut licet!
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #123 on: December 31, 2008, 06:34:02 am »

When you insert an audio cd it does not mount. If I then try to mount manually I get the following message:

dmesg | tail  or so

The above is also true in VL6.0 light B1 on a differnt box so I will report there too.

Audio CDs don't have a file system, so they can't be mounted. Shouldn't matter though - should still play without problems.

Also if you type the wrong password at the gdm log in screen selecting a user icon then fails to insert the user name so you have to type the user name in manually.

Smiley Yes I've hit that one as well. I suspect its a GDM bug, but I forgot to mention it...

VL6.0 RC1 is running pretty well on this machine although on my old p3 750 box it's starting hanging at the login screen before gdm starts. I will investgate this further.

Does it hang just as the splash screen clears? If so, it sounds a lot like a problem I've been seeing fairly consistently with RC1 - if I use ESC or F2 to put the splash screen in verbose mode, it will boot fine, but if I leave the splash screen up, it will quite frequently (about 1 in 3 boots) lock up hard just as GDM should start loading.

paul.
pevsner

« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2008, 06:51:54 am »

English UK keyboard settings flakey.
I normally change keymap after install. If to UK keyboard set via vasmcc-xwindows, it works for that session only and then reverts to usa.
Set through vasmcc- hardware-keyboard map, it is wrong in the test box, and wrong generally.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2008, 07:42:56 am »

English UK keyboard settings flakey.
I normally change keymap after install. If to UK keyboard set via vasmcc-xwindows, it works for that session only and then reverts to usa.
Set through vasmcc- hardware-keyboard map, it is wrong in the test box, and wrong generally.

Works fine here. I set it in the final stages of the install (text mode after the first reboot), and haven't had a problem with the UK layout.

paul.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2008, 09:15:35 am »

How do you get rid of the "Floppy" icon on the desktop?
None of my boxes have a floppy drive, but I feel stuck with a floppy icon.

sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2008, 09:18:56 am »

dmesg | tail  or so

Audio CDs don't have a file system, so they can't be mounted. Shouldn't matter though - should still play without problems.

OK...I'm just used to VL5.9 where xmms starts to play the cd automatically which I would have thought preferable to no apparent action.

Does it hang just as the splash screen clears? If so, it sounds a lot like a problem I've been seeing fairly consistently with RC1 - if I use ESC or F2 to put the splash screen in verbose mode, it will boot fine, but if I leave the splash screen up, it will quite frequently (about 1 in 3 boots) lock up hard just as GDM should start loading.

paul.

Yep hangs just before gdm should start.....I had the occasional hang before but now its seems permanent.
pevsner

« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2008, 09:58:44 am »

Re UK keymap posts above,

I tried to set uk map as as root too, still reverted to US after relog. I have edited xorg.conf and that worked ok.
Might be a quirk on my system? usb 105 key Uk (laptop style) keyboard.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2008, 02:10:50 pm »

dmesg | tail  or so

OK...I'm just used to VL5.9 where xmms starts to play the cd automatically which I would have thought preferable to no apparent action.

Ah. That seems to be a bug. Checking Settings > Removable Drives and Media, xmms should be called to play an audio CD. Trouble is, I can't get xmms to work at all. Even starting it manually (from a terminal, since there doesn't seem to be a menu entry for it), I can't get it to play a CD. You might try starting it that way and see if you can get it to play. In the past, I've found that it needs to be set to digital extraction, but even that doesn't seem to help here....

paul.

Yep hangs just before gdm should start.....I had the occasional hang before but now its seems permanent.

Sounds like the same bug. Not to be nasty, but I'm sort of glad someone else is seeing it. Hopefully it can be tracked and fixed. In the meantime, when hard drive activity starts during boot (after the Lilo menu), press ESC or F2 to put the splash screen in verbose mode - see if it boots correctly that way.

paul.
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2008, 03:16:43 pm »

Please post any comments, bug reports, etc here with regards to the RC1 release.

Installed today on DELL Optiplex GX260 with i810 graphics, 512MRAM and 2GHz CPU.

GUI installer not working on my machine and installation crashing, in order to install at all I had to add vga=normal during the boot of kernel. This made the text installer to appear and work.

Why filetypes are not associated with applications by default? For example PDF and DOC? I understand the situation when there are more than one option (ie. video: mplayer and xine). But when there is only one application (Xpdf, Abiword) it should be associated with the apropriate filetypes.

I don`t like the default look but 'de gustibus non est disputandum'

After installation many dependencies missing or there is something wrong with my installation. I did not installed developement package (with gcc, etc) as it was an option only in the text installer, maybe this is in due, however if so, the applications should be recompiled without these dependencies):

Code:
abiword: error while loading shared libraries: libssp.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Code:
mplayer: error while loading shared libraries: libcaca.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Code:
gtkam: error while loading shared libraries: libltdl.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Code:
avahi-discover
A new main_window has been created
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/avahi-discover", line 269, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/avahi-discover", line 264, in main
    main_window = Main_window()
  File "/usr/bin/avahi-discover", line 60, in __init__
    SimpleGladeApp.__init__(self, path, root, domain, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/avahi_discover/SimpleGladeApp.py", line 108, in __init__
    self.new()
  File "/usr/bin/avahi-discover", line 249, in new
    self.server = dbus.Interface(self.bus.get_object(avahi.DBUS_NAME, avahi.DBUS_PATH_SERVER), avahi.DBUS_INTERFACE_SERVER)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 244, in get_object
    follow_name_owner_changes=follow_name_owner_changes)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 241, in __init__
    self._named_service = conn.activate_name_owner(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 183, in activate_name_owner
    self.start_service_by_name(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 281, in start_service_by_name
    'su', (bus_name, flags)))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 607, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Avahi was not provided by any .service files

« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 03:35:58 pm by Witek Mozga » Logged

sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #131 on: January 01, 2009, 04:14:34 am »

Sounds like the same bug. Not to be nasty, but I'm sort of glad someone else is seeing it. Hopefully it can be tracked and fixed. In the meantime, when hard drive activity starts during boot (after the Lilo menu), press ESC or F2 to put the splash screen in verbose mode - see if it boots correctly that way.

paul.

Before you replied I had already got it going by using the install disk to boot. I changed splash screen to verbose as you had suggested in a previous post and it now boots fine. I then changed splash screen back to silent it hangs again, very strange! I don't get this on my main machine though.

Chris
carsten
Vectorite

I know why birds sing ...

« Reply #132 on: January 01, 2009, 04:26:49 am »

Happy New Year,
hopefully you survived New Years Party without causualties:

Here something new to VL 6.0 RC1

1) Picasa 2.7 and 3.0 for Linux refuse to be installed (tried RPM and deb variation) without any helpfull feedback from system. Fortunately Picasa 3.0 for Windows works under CrossOver 7.0 out of the box.

2) F-Spot did not work after install

rgds,

Carsten

Tam exacte ut oportet, non ut licet!
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #133 on: January 01, 2009, 04:54:35 am »

Picasa 2.7 and 3.0 for Linux refuse to be installed (tried RPM and deb variation) without any helpfull feedback from system.

have you tried rpm2tgz command from command line?

There is a TGZ package on http://www.slacky.eu/

http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-12.1/graphic/picasa/2.7.3736-15/
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 05:02:31 am by Witek Mozga » Logged

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #134 on: January 01, 2009, 08:02:02 am »

Don't know that this is a rc1 issue as much as a VL issue but...I just used gslapt to add some python packages (gnome-python, gnome-python-desktop, gnome-python-extras, and sexy-python) and in the process of several other added packages (required by these I presume) firefox was downgraded to 3.0.3. Probably not a good idea to have firefox as a dependency for gnome packages let alone to have it downgrade "less stable/secure" version.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: