VectorLinux
August 21, 2014, 01:50:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 Standard RC1 feedback and bug reports  (Read 45588 times)
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #135 on: January 01, 2009, 08:12:24 am »

Sounds like the same bug. Not to be nasty, but I'm sort of glad someone else is seeing it. Hopefully it can be tracked and fixed. In the meantime, when hard drive activity starts during boot (after the Lilo menu), press ESC or F2 to put the splash screen in verbose mode - see if it boots correctly that way.

paul.

Before you replied I had already got it going by using the install disk to boot. I changed splash screen to verbose as you had suggested in a previous post and it now boots fine. I then changed splash screen back to silent it hangs again, very strange! I don't get this on my main machine though.

Got a little further with this issue.....I can ssh into the box even though it appears to have locked solid so the kernel is still running. I can run things like htop, vasm and dmesg but it won't let me shutdown or reboot from the command line. dmesg gives info that I'm sure would be usefull to someone in the know. I don't really know what else to do to help debug this but if someone can tell me what to type I'll be more than happy to give it try.

Chris
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2009, 06:52:00 am »

I found a problem with the orage clock applet in the xfce4 panel

Trying to set the timezone from it will produce an error.
It seems to be looking for /usr/local/etc/zoneinfo which is of course, not a valid path.

Maybe an option can be parsed @ build time to solve this.

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #137 on: January 02, 2009, 11:26:09 am »

3) Crossover
Menu entry for Crossover not generated during install. Anyway, Crossover working

I have this problem in 5.9, so maybe it's something similar.

I think the menus used to show up, but not if I had kdebase installed... then they only show up when logging into kde, but not in xfce. Maybe it thinks kde is installed and puts the menus in some locations where xfce does not find them.

I had to solve it with symlinks.

I don't know whether something like that is happening in the rc1.
In any case, it seems to be more of a crossover issue, rather than a bug in rc1.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2009, 10:09:18 pm »

I was surprised to find the bits and pieces that allow mc to unpackage a Debian package are missing.  It looks like unrpm is missing as well.

I was also surprised to find that I couldn't make a vfat filesystem on a USB stick.  It seems VL 6.0 is missing mkfs.vfat.

These are small things which were in the 5.x releases that probably should be in 6.0 as well.  FWIW, I packaged alien which did what I needed vis a vis the .deb package but I still like having that functionality in mc.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2009, 11:18:27 pm »

I was also surprised to find that I couldn't make a vfat filesystem on a USB stick.  It seems VL 6.0 is missing mkfs.vfat.

These are small things which were in the 5.x releases that probably should be in 6.0 as well.  FWIW, I packaged alien which did what I needed vis a vis the .deb package but I still like having that functionality in mc.

There is no such file even in slackware mkfs.vfat it cannot be found as well in "Linux in a nutshell".
There is, however, a file mkdosfs. May that will do.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2009, 12:40:42 am »

It is in the man page for mkfs and we used to have it in VL.  I've been told mkdosfs will do FAT32 so it will do.  I didn't know that until tonight.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #141 on: January 04, 2009, 02:20:13 am »

It is in the man page for mkfs and we used to have it in VL.  I've been told mkdosfs will do FAT32 so it will do.  I didn't know that until tonight.
Just found this. There is no mkfs.vfat in VL58 only mkfs.msdos symlink to mkdosfs.
May be mkfs.vfat was such a symlink in VL59.

I don't know much about vfat vs fat32, but I was able to format a USB key just now using:
Code:

/sbin/mkdosfs -v -F 32 /dev/sdb4

I then copied a file with a long filename from an ext3 partition across to it then plugged
the USB key into a box running Win XP Pro. I was able to use dir /x to see the long and
short filenames - I was also able to create new files with long filenames.
So yes, mkdosfs does support long filenames.

Hope that helps...
Unquote
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 02:30:00 am by Pita » Logged
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2009, 04:28:08 am »

For my sins I decided to switch to kdm as it seems a little faster to me. Download and install using Gslapt went OK. Selected kdm in vasm, vasm then tells me to switch to init 2 as root and then to init 5, shouldn't this be init 4?. Anyhow I did this and I'm presented with a new login screen with a background of an explosion which I'm not keen on so I decided to switch back to gdm for now. Go into vasm select gdm, follow on screen instructions but I'm still in kdm. It doesn't matter what I select in vasm I always end up with kdm.

After much fiddling I uninstall kdm using Gslapt BIG MISTAKE as removing kdm seems to remove the likes of k3b and possibly others. Guess I should have checked before proceeding still you learn by your mistakes, I hope.  Roll Eyes

That was the last time VL6.0 RC1 booted on this box so I guess it's fresh install time for me.

Happy new year,

Chris
edwinsage

formerly KamikaziFreak

« Reply #143 on: January 04, 2009, 10:47:09 am »

Overall, I'm liking this release.  Wireless setup is a big improvement over the VL 5.8 I've been using.

I'm having the issue stated above where the system won't boot properly unless I press ESC during boot; that's pretty annoying.

I'm also having some of my panel applets not show up when I start up the system in XFCE.  Mostly it's been the wireless connector, but this last time, it was the battery monitor.  I had to re-enable it, and reconfigure it too.  Kinda odd.

Other little things:

I'm lazy (one of the programmer's three virtues), and don't like having to click on my username first to login on the graphical login screen.  Can that be set to default to the last login chosen, and just wait for you to type in the password unless you click on a different user?

I have to agree that I don't like that saving the root password for the session is the default option for running GUI sbins.  It's faster...but it feels like it's at the expense of people being familiar with their OS.  No problem for Linux veterans, but newcomers probably will never understand what "root" means, or how important that is.  There needs to be a bit of a learning curve to really make a computer useful.  At least, that's my opinion.

Keep up the good work!  I'll be glad to see the production version of VL 6 when it's ready!
Kosh

« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2009, 03:29:07 pm »

Hi! Happy new year!
I've just installed VL6.0 RC1 in my PC: intel Core2Duo, ATI Radeon HD4650, SATA disk
Some issues found:
1.-GUI installer said "instalation media not found" but installation works in text mode (I see others have same problem).

2- Perhaps my fault but I didn't found a localization option in the text mode instaler. I'm spanish, so should I use the tips in
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=8002.0

3.-Problems with X configuration, perhaps because of a quite new Radeon, of course VESA mode works (1024*768, not a good resolution in my widescreen 1440*900 LCD), but "radeon" driver doesn't work , same problem with "ati" driver and with propietary ati driver

4.-Still no internet access (I'm writing this from Win XP) because of my f* ADSL USB modem, the infamous Speedtouch 330. Do you know if the remaks in
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=3381.0
are still usefull in 6.0? I've still not checked it (configuration of the f* speedtouch is always tricky & time consuming in all diostros I've used!)

But overall it's a quite promising release. Congratulations for your nice distro
Thanks

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 03:31:01 pm by Kosh » Logged

Motherboard Gigabyte G31M-S2L, chipset intel G31/ICH7
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo
Video Card :ATI Radeon HD4650 (RV730)
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS40 (SATA)
HD SATA Samsung 753LJ
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2009, 03:36:14 pm »

When you login to VL 6.0 rc1 (assuming a GUI login) you should have the option to select your language.  Choose Spanish and all your localization should be done for you.  Everything that has a Spanish translation (menus, most applications, help) should now be in Spanish instead of English.

You will still need to install the following from the repository:

Firefox language pack (es)
aspell-es (dictionary for AbiWord) -- currently in testing
Thunderbird language pack (es) if you use Thunderbird -- latest version currently in testing

We don't have Seamonkey language packs just yet, unfortunately. 

OpenOffice supports Spanish in the default installation in version 3.0. 

If you install KDE we have both the i18n package and the i10n package for koffice.

All in all I think you'll find it much easier to have VL 6.0 work in Spanish than it was for VL 5.9.

Kosh

« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2009, 03:55:50 pm »

Thanks caitlyn for your quick answer.
I usually do a text-mode login and after that I do startx when X is needed. So I 'll switch to GUI mode login

Motherboard Gigabyte G31M-S2L, chipset intel G31/ICH7
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo
Video Card :ATI Radeon HD4650 (RV730)
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS40 (SATA)
HD SATA Samsung 753LJ
pevsner

« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2009, 07:54:08 pm »

Hi,
Not sure whether this is he place to post, or New packages but:
Installing Blender (3D) from v6 repos installed many many packages including extra gnome, epiphany,google gadgets,compiz stuff, etc etc, loads of..which I dont really want. Usually I only need to add open exr as a dependancy. Normally I build from svn, but tried repo pkg as test.
Also openoffice icons dont show in desktop menu, Kompozer icon missing too (showed in development in 5.9).
VL6 looking good, using rc1 as main system now.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2009, 08:16:38 pm »

Funny... I do get the OpenOffice icons.  I wonder what's different about your install.

You are absolutely right about blender.  Pretty much anything in the gsb repo wants to install GNOME, lock, stock, and barrell.  I suspect we'll end up building updated versions of a lot of those apps and that requiredbuilder, the tool we use to find dependencies, won't pick up so much unnecessary cruft.  I'm afriad I don't have an immediate solution, though.

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #149 on: January 06, 2009, 12:13:49 am »

4.-Still no internet access (I'm writing this from Win XP) because of my f* ADSL USB modem, the infamous Speedtouch 330. Do you know if the remaks in
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=3381.0
are still usefull in 6.0? I've still not checked it (configuration of the f* speedtouch is always tricky & time consuming in all diostros I've used!)

It should be close as far as getting it to work.

Bigpaws
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  

Jump to: