VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 05:29:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 Standard RC1 feedback and bug reports  (Read 45866 times)
Kosh

« Reply #150 on: January 06, 2009, 01:34:52 am »

4.-Still no internet access (I'm writing this from Win XP) because of my f* ADSL USB modem, the infamous Speedtouch 330. Do you know if the remaks in
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=3381.0
are still usefull in 6.0? I've still not checked it (configuration of the f* speedtouch is always tricky & time consuming in all diostros I've used!)

It should be close as far as getting it to work.

Bigpaws

Thanks, I'll configure it

Motherboard Gigabyte G31M-S2L, chipset intel G31/ICH7
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo
Video Card :ATI Radeon HD4650 (RV730)
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS40 (SATA)
HD SATA Samsung 753LJ
Kosh

« Reply #151 on: January 06, 2009, 06:34:59 am »

When you login to VL 6.0 rc1 (assuming a GUI login) you should have the option to select your language.  Choose Spanish and all your localization should be done for you.  Everything that has a Spanish translation (menus, most applications, help) should now be in Spanish instead of English.

GDM doesn't change locale in /etc/profile.d so I edited lang.sh too, and so localization is better, so I get locle in text-mode too and not only in Xwindow

BTWwhere are the translates man pages?

Motherboard Gigabyte G31M-S2L, chipset intel G31/ICH7
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo
Video Card :ATI Radeon HD4650 (RV730)
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS40 (SATA)
HD SATA Samsung 753LJ
pevsner

« Reply #152 on: January 06, 2009, 07:58:24 am »

Funny... I do get the OpenOffice icons.  I wonder what's different about your install.

I reinstalled openoffice 3 and still no icons (seems to be the GO00 version now).
All I can think is different on my system is sorting out the fonts (deleting 51local.fonts file adding an amended .fonts.conf in /home,  and installing the nvidia 173xxx driver supplied by vector). No big deal for me, just pointing it out.

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2009, 09:25:12 am »

I reinstalled openoffice 3 and still no icons (seems to be the GO00 version now).

Do you mean icons on the desktop (which do not get placed on the desktop in Linux) or icons in the menu? They should be in your menu. Icons never get placed on the desktop in Linux unless the user specifically does that him/herself.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
pevsner

« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2009, 03:02:44 pm »

I mean the icons in xfce desktop menu - office - openoffice
Its no big deal really.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #155 on: January 06, 2009, 06:22:47 pm »

I mean the icons in xfce desktop menu - office - openoffice
Its no big deal really.

For some reason, the openoffice icons seem to be in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps, which is not a very standard location for VL. You might check to see that they have been placed there?

They seem to be working fine for me, even in the non-standard directory.

paul.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #156 on: January 06, 2009, 06:43:18 pm »

I've hit another strange glitch with RC1. On four or five occasions, after I've logged in (using GDM), I'm getting thrown back out to GDM with a 'your session lasted less than 10 seconds' message. In every instance, a second login through GDM works fine and Xfce starts as expected.

So far, I've been in a hurry every time it has happened (and I didn't realize initially that ~/.xsession-errors was overwritten on each login). Next time it happens I'll try logging in to a console and copying the error log to another file before trying a GDM login again....

paul.
Tigerwolf
Vectorite

« Reply #157 on: January 07, 2009, 09:21:23 pm »

Decided to try to migrate from 5.8, which, while speedy, and tuned to work very well over some years, is becoming a pain for new compiles increasingly running into dependency hell. Sad   

Grabbed the 6.0 RC1 iso and have noted the following so far:

Initial install screen:
            Recommendation:  Include the 'Test Memory' option like Ubuntu.  This has proven very
             handy on occasions when machines may be flakey.    Likewise, include it as a boot option
             on a fully installed system.  I manually included the Memtest86 into /boot and made a linlo
             entry for it on all my installed machines.

INSTALLER: 1. Pretty, but incredibly SLOOOW!   It took well over an hour to do a full install!   
                   2.  The X probe set system resolution as 800x600 (video has not much ram).  This
                        results in many of the bits on the install screens getting hosed: 
                        -- Some text was chopped off  along  the bottom halves of the text, 
                        -- Some sub-windows such as the partition summary broke with incomplete lines
                        -- Some of the selection bars in network configuration window were coverd by
                           other things
                    3.  The installer has a title bar with typical iconify, minimize, and kill buttons.  I didn't
                         dare try to see if they did anything, but it seems disaster waiting to happen.
                    4..  There's an 'auto-hid' XFCE panel lurking in the lower left.  It includes....games???
                          So is this to give the itrepid curious explorer something to do during the hour it
                          takes to install?....which would grow even longer if the system is playing graphical
                          games during install!

Recommendations:  Make sure that all screens will work at lower resolutions.  This is
                                                     important for newer 'netbooks' that have less than 1024x768 and
                                                     video cards that aren't properly detected/set up during probing.

Make the traditional text insaller an option, since that should work
                                                     on nearly everything, and is dramatically faster.

Make sure the installer screen is bullet-proof to newbies and others
                                                     who might push buttons they shouldn't.

RALINK Wireless Driver has no firmware:
         The RALINK driver as included with the distro kernel has no firmware, so when it loads, it shows a
          wlan0 device which appears configurable, but doesn't work.   This driver has recently become
          an integral part of the kernel, and it's worked fine with various Ubuntu flavors I've tried using Live CD.

With the 'legacy' version of the RT61 driver,  the source includes the firmware, and it's installed when         
          the package is compiled and installed on a running system.  It stuffs the firmware files into /lib/firmware
          when doing  make install.   If the firmware files were part of the kernel driver source compiled for VL 6,   
          they didn't get moved to  the /lib/firmware directory.

Recommendation:  Make sure the wireless firmware files are included with the kernel package.

Wicd Network/Wireless Manager:
          Yet another attempt to be all thiings to all people for network config that only works with some
          subset of reality.

This program has no (apparent) ability to use an ASCII WEP key.   It has choices to enter other kinds of
           kcys, such as HEX.  The choice WEP (passphrase) *might* be what they intend, but 'passphrase' is
           more associated with WPA and/or some routers that hash the 'phrase' into something other than
           just sending it on as ASCII characters.   When looking at iwconfig, *nothing* seems to appear in the Key
           field.   Likewise, entering a proper HEX key never makes it to the driver either.  Basically, both HEX
           and ASCII key use is broken.

When attempting to connect, if it *can't* it just spins forever.  'Cancel' does nothing other than 
           grey-out text and boxes in the window.   Furthermore, if you use the system tray icon to QUIT,
           it quits, but when restarted is hung in the spinning connect still, because QUIT doesn't actually kill the
           running python daemon and monitor programs, it just removes the icon from the system tray.so
           whatever state it's in remains, even if you log out and back in.

Recommendation:   Can it until they get a version that actually works.

=^_^=  Tigerwolf

Running: Vector Linux 5.8 Standard   12-16-2006
alkali147

« Reply #158 on: January 07, 2009, 11:43:06 pm »

i was deciding to switch from debian, and choose vector, i downloaded iso

the main problem is that gui installer hangs, after booting, my monitor went in standby mode, and nothing helped,
but typing linux at bootpromt and ncurses installer worked fine!

oh, cfdisk on installation, when i wanted to review my existing partition table, it showed me error, i didn't remember exactly (sorry) but it wrote "bad partition 5, enlarged logical partition overlap"-kind-of thing, though i used partitionig scheme for year now, it was 7GB / at the beginning, then 1 GB swap, and 31GB logical /home (that problematic hda5), but anyways, i wanted to reformat my whole hdd.

there are some problems, e.g. after booting , comes some ugly (with barely visible penguin (i think?)) console  prompt for some seconds before login manager appears, its a glitch, but not a major one.

after all nice system, though package management lacks, and even default debian boot time was faster i think, but thats no big deal, awaiting for stable release

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:46:22 pm by alkali147 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
  Print  

Jump to: