VectorLinux
August 23, 2014, 05:07:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 RC1 has been released!!  (Read 15747 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: December 21, 2008, 09:45:35 pm »

The VectorLinux development team is proud to announce the first release candidate of VectorLinux 6.0. This release is the result of the excellent bug reporting feedback from members of our community and beyond. We have tried to squash most of the bugs reported and add some additional polish to the default theme and the gui installer. The gui installer has gone through many rewrites since the beta2 release. We think you will find many improvements both in design and execution. We are still looking for feedback as the installer progresses towards our final release. We have updated several software packages and have added the all new slapt-get notifier which automatically notifies the user via a tray icon that software updates are available. The browser plugins have been updated to the latest flash 10 and mplayerplug-in. Firefox, Opera, Seamonkey, Gftp, Pidgin and our own Vl-hot have all been updated since the beta2 release. We are another step closer to final!

The big news is Vector has a new gui installer for the first time! This was built from the ground up and not a rehash of any of the other gui installers used by other distro's. This release features the 2.6.27.7 kernel with the latest wireless drivers and firmware updates. The default Window manager is Xfce4 with LXDE as alternate. We have the latest Firefox, Opera and Seamonkey with all the media codecs and flash so all the web and personal media content is available out of the box. For light office work you will find Abiword and Gnumeric. For heavy duty work, OpenOffice is available as a download from our ever expanding repo. We have added jpilot for those of you  with handhelds. The included multimedia applications are the latest Mplayer, Xine, K3b and vlc. We have some of the all time favorite games including Penguin command, Pysol and Xgalaga and many more available in our repo. The latest stable Perl 5.10 has also been added. We hope you enjoy our latest labor of love. Please let us know of any bugs you encounter or just general feedback by posting in our web forum.

The iso and md5sum are here:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/VL6.0-STD-RC1.iso
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/VL6.0RC1.md5sum.txt

Please report bugs and comments here:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7998.0

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 10:37:17 pm by vector » Logged
peispud

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 02:36:12 pm »

The installer has no SATA drivers for my nForce 630i / GeForce 7100 mainboard , hence I didn't get any farther than the install media error . The installer also overshot my display ( Acer x243w , 24 inch ) , clipping off most of the next button . SOHO 5.9.1 installed without problems on the same system .
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 02:54:51 pm by peispud » Logged
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 03:04:11 pm »

peispud, can you try the "text installer" to see if it sees your HD?
peispud

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 03:37:31 pm »

The text installer works fine . The new install is up and running . Thanks . Smiley
JustInterested

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 03:19:01 am »

Hi. I'm having a similar issue with the GUI installer, it doesn't detect my CD/DVD drive in step 2.

How do I run the text installer?

Thanks!
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 04:04:08 am »

Hi. I'm having a similar issue with the GUI installer, it doesn't detect my CD/DVD drive in step 2.

How do I run the text installer?

At the CD boot prompt, enter 'linux' and press enter.

paul.
JustInterested

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 05:11:47 am »

Thanks paul.

I did that just after my post and have just finished the install now so I thought I'd log on and update my previous post...

Anyway install worked like a charm and have had some issues, one which is fixed and one isn't. First issue was sound, it needed to be setup again after install even though I'm sure it was done during installation. No big issue as fix was easy.

Second issue is running cups setup in VASM CC. When it's launched the browser gives 404 error (File Not Found) for address http://127.0.0.1:631.

Any ideas?

cheers.

edit: Have also tried SAMBA config in VASM CC and I get Failed to Connect error (for http://127.0.0.1:901/) - The connection was refused when attempting to contact 127.0.0.1:901.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 05:14:48 am by JustInterested » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 06:01:49 am »

I have seen this problem before
For some reason, the CUPS web interface sometimes is not available at 127.0.0.1:631

Try http://localhost:631/admin in a web browser. That might work, although, it may look different than what you are used to seeing

JustInterested

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 06:07:03 am »

Cool. Thanks will try that.

Another issue - firing up K3b gives a seg fault. I then tried vburn and had to manually add my burner after it failed to automatically find the CD/DVD burner (an ASUS DRW-1814BLT firmware version 1.10, got that from running  'cdrdao scanbus'). Once done I could burn an iso image that I had just downloaded.

Retried K3b after this and it fired up with no seg fault. Could be related to how vburn failed to find the optical drive automatically?

Anyway, still checking things.
TekMate

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 08:08:15 pm »

Installer worked great.
I have two issues:
1 Almost every web site I go to (tried with FF and SM) tells me the certificate is incorrect. I only see this with Vector.
2 Using any screensaver other than blank screen crashes X.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 08:21:22 pm »

1 Almost every web site I go to (tried with FF and SM) tells me the certificate is incorrect. I only see this with Vector.

Look at your date, it surely reads 2019 or something (I was just watching Blade Runner Tongue). You can set it properly with vdateset.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 10:51:48 am »

What are the hardware requirements for VL 6.0 RC1?

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 12:43:51 pm »

What are the hardware requirements for VL 6.0 RC1?

Should be very similar to VL 5.9 Std Gold, which is on the website: 4GB HD mimimum, P200, 128MB RAM minimum. But to enjoy it I would recommend 256MB mimimum, 6GB hard drive so you have room for data (the system takes 3.6GB itself) and a P350 as a mimimum processor.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
ElZorro

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 06:28:32 am »

Hi Vector team

Install no go with a sata dvd rw, would not find media.
Got install going after installing an IDE dvd rw instead temporarily.
So guess this needs fixing as more and more SATA drives are being used.
Wired network DHCP no go on first boot, vasm and reboot did the trick.
Found the SATA dvd rw drive after install via VASM
So looking like a good release with a nice GUI installer after a little more tweaking.
Merry Christmas all
Cheers
El Zorro
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 06:35:11 am by ElZorro » Logged
ElZorro

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2008, 07:55:32 am »

Hi,
   is printing possible in xfce, it says it uses cups, but no place allows a printer to be actually installed.
Nothing on the web helps, this seems a primitive and unusable desktop for printer installation and printing
which is fundamental.
Perhaps I am missing something?
Best
El Zorro
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: