Author Topic: VL 6.0 B2 Woes  (Read 1533 times)

petebarchetta

VL 6.0 B2 Woes
« on: December 23, 2008, 04:41:23 am »
hello,

burnt my copy of VL6 B2 and stuck it in the Tecra 520, ran up (v.nice gui :)  )
the gui loads as normal, auto detects etc.
first time i ran it in the 96mb ram mode it had a kernel panic suggesting out of memory, i since installed the 128mb EDO ram and the kernel paninc message is gone.
the problem comes when it gets to the
"updating Gtk, immodules gtk-query......." line
the machine then spits out the cd and then reboots. i have switched to the standard linux kernel from the boot prompt and this gets me into the installer and things are ok from then in, is there anyway of capturing the error?? or is it down to my machine or the beta release?
i assume the machine does not like the GTK bundles with the VL6 release as it is a later version than used in VL 5.9.1 (this runs ok at install and startup when selected in the VL 6 boot prompt
any ideas?
failing that i ill revert back to the 5.9.1 release,
Toshiba Tecra 520cdt (P166mmx,160mb ram, 40gb sata HD-  VL 5.9 Final (in progress)
Compaq DeskproEN (PIII733,384mb ram, 20gb HD) - Debian (knoppix 5.1)
Toshiba Tecra M3 - XP :(

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
Re: VL 6.0 B2 Woes
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 05:09:39 am »
If you can run the text mode installer, I wouldn't worry. The GUI installer is quite memory hungry and may still be what is giving you problems.

Running free after boot to the GUI installer, I have 140 MB of memory occupied, without taking account of buffers. Once installed, I've got under 100 MB occupied until I start memory heavy things like Seamonkey mail and browser.

Can you complete the install using the text mode?

paul.

petebarchetta

Re: VL 6.0 B2 Woes
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 02:50:22 pm »
will try.
hats off to the programmers that knocked up the Gui, its ace!!. VL so far is the only Linux distro that the machine has really got on with.

Toshiba Tecra 520cdt (P166mmx,160mb ram, 40gb sata HD-  VL 5.9 Final (in progress)
Compaq DeskproEN (PIII733,384mb ram, 20gb HD) - Debian (knoppix 5.1)
Toshiba Tecra M3 - XP :(