VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 05:49:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 Light B1 feedback and bug reports.  (Read 22154 times)
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2009, 07:50:40 pm »

Oh, sorry, Nightflier,

looks like I may have dorked this one  Embarrassed ... something's amiss in my network setup. Think I clicked the wrong  option during install. Dillo, HV3, also bomb - and ifconfig is bizarre looking --- when it even comes up that is Huh

Am posting this reply now on the same machine, same net, using firefox on a VL6 rc1 partition - so the hardware's OK.

hmmm. I'd say not to worry about this one for now.  Roll Eyes Grin

thanks,
Howard in FL
~~~~~~~~
ERROR #2: Q.A. Testor dozing on keyboardddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 06:39:24 pm »

Well, maybe there's an issue or two here after all (or I don't know what I'm doing ... which is more likely  Tongue)

1. After slicking the partition and doing a full reinstall, autoconfig didn't recognize the NIC on the machine. (The NIC does work - and both VL 5.9 and 6 rc1 installed on the same machine spotted it.)  Back in Light B1, from VASM, I then tried to autoconfig again for the network. In both instances, (install and reconfig), attempting to add an inet showed no NIC's, just the dummy0.

When it was trying to do this, including selecting dummy, the underlying terminal showed errors about modprobe not finding a library ... sorry, I will learn this better at some point ... I don't know how to grab that screen again to see what it actually says. Yes, I did note the mention in the inet set up that modules may have to be loaded with autoconfig, or manually.

Am I missing a module for my NIC, and if so, please accept my apologies for being a noob trying to troubleshoot when maybe I should hang around in the vectorbee part of the forum a while longer! Roll Eyes

would a /var/log show what's happening here?

BTW, when I tried this under JWM, the accept/decline window didn't vanish, I could click "accept" - and opera ran showing a network problem ... as we would expect.  MWM's pager didn't seem to function (or had undefined items) as the right click menu's were blank, but the menu box itself was visable. Had to hit the panic button to get out of that one.

2. Just noticed an odd glitch as I was posting this from another machine: I left B1 running as root at init level s, and had done a simple 'ls' ---  after several minutes, the screen blanked out all the white-lettered items, but left the blue colored one's showing... weird...  I had not selected the powersave stuff at install

thanks
- Howard in FL
(trying to be helpful)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 07:01:51 pm by WinDoze » Logged

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2009, 06:53:40 pm »

In order to help can you please let us know what the name and model
of your NIC card? Without that it is hard to start.

If you are not sure as root in a terminal type:

lspci

and look for a reference to your NIC card.

Bigpaws
Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2009, 07:44:30 pm »

Hi Bigpaws,

thanks for being so ready to help --- what would we do without you?  Grin

OK, here's what lspci says re the onboard NIC:

Code:
02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)

BTW, I literally *just* installed VL 6, RC2 ... and it failed to spot this NIC, whereas VL6, RC1 did before!

thanks
- H
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 07:50:58 pm by WinDoze » Logged

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2009, 09:30:26 pm »

There is an RC 3.

You can check to see if the module is loaded. In a console as root type:

lsmod | grep rtl8139

If there is no return try this in the same console:

modprobe rtl8139

Then check again to see if it is loaded with the first command. If it is then activate the NIC:

ifconfig eth0 up

Now you should be able to use VASM to configure the card.

HTH

Bigpaws
EyesOnly

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2009, 03:42:45 am »

Quote from: Windoze
"thanks for being so ready to help --- what would we do without you?"

Windoze wrote that in regards to BigPaws, and I have to agree whole-heartedly!

In fact, all you guys and gals (let's not forget Caitlyn & GrannyGeek amongst others!) are really a group of very special people and you don't receive anywhere near the amount of thanks and praise which you so rightly deserve!

Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts for the selfless work and dedication you give to see that VectorLinux is one of the best distros available today, and its support forum IS the best on the net! *thunderous applause for the team!*

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2009, 11:56:08 am »

*thunderous applause for the team!*

Whistle! Whistle! Clap! Clap!

(Our monitors are shaking from applause vibrations!)

Encore!

lm8
Packager

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2009, 04:29:23 pm »

Mouse (actually laptop pad) is working better than in 5.9 Light.  Don't know if it's because I didn't take the default install on X-Windows this time or not.  Before, the drag and drop wasn't working with touchpad.  Seems slower than 5.9 Light.  Tried going into vasm and changing Windows Manager to speed it up.  Does the change not affect root?  I see .xinitrc in /etc directory changed, but root has same settings in /root/.xinitrc.  Wanted to run Fluxbox to see if it would speed things up, but it wasn't installed on the disk and icewm seemed rather slow.  Got as far as testing out video and audio and they worked.  Haven't tested midi sound or USB connections yet.  Everything I tried seems to be working okay so far.  I'm running a pentium MMX 500 MHz, 64 MB RAM and 6 GB hard drive if it helps to know that.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2009, 11:55:59 am »

Why is old version of Tcl/Tk included? There is a newer one which according to its website "8.5 now runs 10% faster than 8.4 with bytecode improvements, object caching and reduced memory usage." Furthermore it "Now uses anti-aliased text under X11".

After some pretty extensive testing, we found that upgrading tcl/tk required extensive changes to base system, rebuilds of current tcl/tk packages in repo, and would break compatibility with Slackware 12.1 packages. The decision was made to leave things as they were.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2009, 12:00:32 pm »

@lm8:

The vasm script to change window manager is getting a little out of date. The preferred method nowadays is to use GDM or KDM to select your environment. Did you try that?
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2009, 06:55:51 am »

Hi
Sorry for not posting this before. I know there is Beta2 out, and the first thing I will do today when I will get home is downloading that. Still, I hope maybe this post may help, since I also had this problem in VL6.0-Dynamite0.7, but I had no time to try fixing it.

Anyway, when I installed beta1 on my Dell Dimension XPS(Will give the specs when I get home) with Yamaha video card and booted, it said: "No Screens Found" and refused to start X. I had VL5.9 STD running on the same computer, so the first thing I did  - I got the xorg.conf from the working vl5.9 install and put it there. Still no go(same no screens found message).
During the instalation vxconfig(I hope I remember correctly) refused to configure video, so I switched to vesa, which gave me results mentioned above.
I serched this forum and then tried:
Launching vxconfig from the CLI when I got no screens error and trying to configure video there. It basically gave me the same thing as duging instalation. I also tried switching to the other default driver offered in vxconfig(the one besides vesa). Gave me the same error.
After that I tried X-config(I think I am not spelling that correctly), entering vertical and horisontal Sync from the xorg.conf file taken from the working vl5.9 STD on the same computer. Got the same thing.
I believe that's all I tried to fix that.

Also get no internet configured during install(I have ehrenet-usb adapter connected to computer's usb port and to my router's ethernet port.) launching dhcpcd got it rolling Cheesy
In VL5.9 I had to manually add DNS server to get it working.

I take this back - I had to run dhcpcd sfter each boot to make it work. But after I edited rc.local as nightflier said here, everything works.

ps. I am sorry for not telling anough about the specs of my computer and misspelling commands, but I am not at home right now and posting this from memory. As soon as I will get home I will revise this post to include that information.

update:
Installed Beta2 and the same thing happens there too, so I will post my more detailed observations in beta2 bug report.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 10:21:10 am by budulay » Logged

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: