VectorLinux
September 30, 2014, 10:27:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 Light B1 feedback and bug reports.  (Read 22007 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: December 24, 2008, 12:41:07 pm »

Please post your comments and bug reports regarding the Light B1 release.

Happy Holidays!
EyesOnly

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 08:53:28 am »

Hi Nightflier,

I haven't tried this (yet anyway) but I am curious about something and would love to ask: Why was the LXDE desktop exchanged out in favour for the IceWM window manager this time around? I imagine this has already been discussed but I haven't seen it anywhere. At any rate, that was the big calling card for me in regards to VL-5.9 Light, which I currently use approximately 80% of the time now over the 6 installed distros on this rig. Smiley

I hope I haven't given offense, nor caused any upset by asking this question? I also like IceWM, and when it comes to JWM, IMHO only VectorLinux has been able to do it right---and this coming from a PuppyLinux user at that. (First thing I change in Puppy is JWM, one of the ones I use the most after LXDE in VL-Light!)

Thank you for your time Nightflier and others!

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 09:39:21 am »

Hi EyesOnly

No offense whatsoever! Thank you for your feedback.  Smiley

LXDE is not included in Light because it is already an option in VL Standard. You can install it in Light using gslapt. Search for "lxde" and install those packages, To complete the setup, install Openbox as well.

Roy
EyesOnly

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 06:43:35 am »

Thanks Nightflier for taking the time to explain that as it's much appreciated! Smiley Yes, I never gave it a thought -slap head!-  that LXDE could be installed from GSlapt. duh! And besides, it only takes a few seconds/minutes at that.

Looks like I'll have to get my second computer fixed so I can place VL-6.0 Light on that. I'd replace my current 5.9 Light but I've highly-customised it to the point that it's become a "very good friend". Wink

Thanks once again Nightflier for the info!

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 01:51:43 pm »

Installed VL6.0 light B1 on an old IBM thinkpad 600 I have. Install went fine but I have noticed that the CPU load is very high (40% to 100%) with this install, obviously not good for battery life and I never had this issue with VL5.9 light.

After a little investigation I found that the problem is associated with ifplugged and if I kill the ifplugged daemon CPU load drops to around 3-4%. I should point out that this laptop has no network connection so it may be this that is causing ifplugged problems although being a laptop I would have thought the lack of network connection highly likely.

As a trial I installed VL6.0 standard RC1 to see how that performed on the same machine. This time the CPU load was 70% to 100% until I killed ifplugged at which point it dropped to around 14%. So it seems to be an issue with VL6.0 in general. For the record my IBM thinkpad 600 has a P2 300MHz CPU with 384M of memory.

If I find anything else I'll let you know,

Chris

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 06:15:49 pm »

I remember having some trouble with ifplugd in my VL 5.8, so this is not unheard of. In VL 6 I have not seen this behavior on any of my machines, including a laptop, whether connected or not. Try disabling ifplug using vasm and see how that works (I usually disable inetd also).

If you haven't already done so, please post your findings in the Std. bug thread as well.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 07:34:39 pm »

Where can I find it?
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 07:40:32 pm »

Where can I find it?

Found it. The location used to be mentioned on this thread or not?
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 12:21:36 am »

hosted iso installation did not install kernel. Did it manually then.

Cannot configure my printer since Device 'unknow' absent in cups configuring, localhost:631.
It was there in Alpha-0.14 which is now my working linux box.

Dillo behaving properly. This post goes out with it.

sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 04:19:11 am »

Try disabling ifplug using vasm and see how that works (I usually disable inetd also).

Yep disabling ifplugd in vasm fixes it. One thing I noticed is that ifplugd calls modprobe every other second and this seems to coincide with the CPU load going from 40% to 100%. When I say this laptop has no network connection I mean it has no nic installed so perhaps this is related. Time permitting I will try installing on another box with removable nic.

If you haven't already done so, please post your findings in the Std. bug thread as well.

Will do.

Chris
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 08:22:24 am »

You really need configure ifplugd to only control the interfaces you have/want/need. Also, wireless interfaces are notorious system hogs when they are out of range, or at the limit of the range of an AP.  As an example, whenever I boot to Windows XP for some gaming, I find that it is totally unusable way beyond the point when everything has loaded and right up to the moment when the "WiFi is not connected" popup shows. At this exact point, the CPU use drops from aprox. 100% to the usual 1 to 2%. The first time I figured out that the wifi was a hog was while trying to work at the limit of an outdoors AP at a sugar plant, when the realtime comms server program I was developing kept delaying the log scrollbox every second or so and then catching up! Finally figured that it all coincided with the wifi dropping connection and trying to reestablish it again. Since then, I tend to use ifplugd only for my wired ethernet and controlling the wifi manually, something I wish I could (as easily) do for Windows too.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 06:51:19 pm »

Burned a CD with vburn. Installation went smooth w/o any hick-ups.

This time I tried to connect a parallel printer to parallel port on mobo with cups
and get the Error after I enter Epson as my printer:
Unknown operation "{op}"!

In JWM mplayer still hangs desktop.

Now a question for my VL-6-A0.14-Light-pita working box.
As reported I have a small problem there with the sound, 'at' command as user will
not give sound, sometimes sound is gone and can be brought back with "sudo play file.wav"

Now I read in VL-6-STD-feedback that a new alsa driver is available:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/packages/drivers/alsa-driver-1.0.18a_2.6.27.10-i586-1vl60.tlz

If I will install that in my box could that solve my problem w/o creating more even so it is ment for kernel 2.6.27.10?

Regards
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 07:13:24 pm »

To use that ALSA package you must have kernel-2.6.27.10-i686-3vl60 installed.  The ALSA driver package is very much kernel specific.  Installing one against the wrong kernel is sure to break things.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 07:32:54 pm »

And don't forget the kernel modules:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/kernels/kernel-modules-2.6.27.10-i686-3vl60.tlz

The kernel sources are optional, but you will need them to install proprietary video drivers:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/kernels/kernel-src-2.6.27.10-i686-3vl60.tlz

I did a kernel plus alsa upgrade upgrade on B1. Looks good so far, and I see that Caitlyn is running 2.6.27.10 as well.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 08:04:15 pm »

Installed the whole set 2.6.27.10 and get again:

# /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 start
Starting network eth0 using a DHCP server...
FAILED

I did a netconfig and same error.

With this I am at a loss what to do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: