VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 04:13:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 Light B1 feedback and bug reports.  (Read 22010 times)
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 08:18:03 pm »

You need to check to see if the module for your NIC is being loaded.  What type of ethernet card or chipset do you have?  Do you know what module it uses?  If so, check it with:

lsmod | grep <module name>

If it's not loadinging try, as root:

modprobe <module>

and try restarting your network again. 

If you don't know what card/chipset your system uses please post the output of lspci.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 09:01:25 pm »

/sbin/lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 651 Host (rev 01)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge (AGP)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS962 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 04)
00:02.1 SMBus: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS961/2 SMBus Controller
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)

/sbin/lsmod|grep sis
sis900                 20224  0
mii                     5376  1 sis900
i2c_sis96x              5124  0
i2c_core               21268  1 i2c_sis96x
sis_agp                 7936  1

I have a generic ethernet card called PRO200 from CNet. On the users' guide there is nothing
about modules. With all the various kernels there was never a problem for the last 12 or more
months.

Wrong, forgot I am plugged now into the mobo eth port for which I have no specs.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 01:44:01 am by Pita » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 05:30:39 am »

Does "ifconfig" show eth0? Can you bring it up with "ifconfig eth0 up"?
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 05:56:05 pm »

Surprise. This morning when I read your post to test your suggestion I
booted in to B1 and there I am connected.

I have tried several times with 2.6.27.10 both in A15 and A14 and in B1 and always got the FAILURE
message when trying to connect.

Beats me what did the trick that it worked now.
My old boss would have said: I'll be darn
Hope I can make it work in A14-pita.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Edit:

Sigh, I just printed my first page!!!!!!

Next Edit:

Now I know what did the trick. It is the kernel version ..3vl60.tlz.
I had changed to it late last night and did not boot anymore.
I put this kernel now into my box VL6-A014-Light-pita and it too works there.
So kernel-2.6.27.10-i686-2vl60.tlz and its modules was not suitable or had a bug.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 10:28:54 pm by Pita » Logged
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 06:18:34 am »

When you insert an audio cd it does not mount. If I then try to mount manually I get the following message:

root:# mount /mnt/cdrom
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so

The above is also true in VL6.0 std RC1 on a different box so I have reported this in the RC1 bug thread also.

I have to say I was more than a little dissapointed to find LXDE dropped from light but I have to say that now I am finding my way around icewm I rather like it.

Chris
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 07:43:17 am »

That behavior is normal, as there is no real file system on an audio cd to mount. Some applications may present the audio tracks as some kind of files, but they're not directly accessible. The tracks need to be ripped to an audio file before they can be copied or edited. You normally access an audio CD with a music player or a ripper.

LXDE is available in Standard or through gslapt, but I'm glad you are giving IceWM a chance. It is eminently customizable and capable. Smiley

sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 09:12:33 am »

That behavior is normal, as there is no real file system on an audio cd to mount.

OK...Im just used to VL5.9 where the xmms player is started when an audio cd is inserted and I'm faily certian other distros auto start a player too. Obviously windows converts will expect a player to auto start when inserting an audio cd.

Chris
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 03:13:32 pm »

Obviously windows converts will expect a player to auto start when inserting an audio cd.

I agree with you there. Light is not a suitable drop-in replacement for Windows, nor was it intended as such. One of it's reasons to be is that it leaves more control in the hands of the user. Polling daemons and services are kept at a minimum. There will always be trade-offs.
EyesOnly

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 07:41:28 am »

Quote from: nightflier
"One of it's reasons to be is that it leaves more control in the hands of the user. Polling daemons and services are kept at a minimum."

Aha! You hit the nail right on the head and described exactly why---out of the six distros I have installed on this rig---I keep coming back to VL-5.9 Light and why I've made it my "default distro". I've been trying to find the words to describe the "why" to people when telling them about this brilliant distro. Now thanks to you nightflier I have them!

This truly IS a rare gem in the ocean of distros. Most of them I've had to spend several days setting up to the way I like in order to be productive. When I installed this one (VL-5.9 Light that is) it was ready for me to work. I just needed to add Blackbox and a few more themes/gtk2 engines. Wink 6.0 is going to have to work pretty hard to top this so I'm really looking forward to it!

Thanks for allowing me a moment to express my thoughts.

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 02:29:24 pm »

I agree completely with EyesOnly. Light seems to follow the KISS way of doing things. This is why 6.0 Light has been my distro of choice since A14. I have found the replacement for Puppy.

There is a utility that Puppy has that I wish Light had. Pmount or Mut. I like to mount drives when "I" want them mounted. It is nice to use one of those instead of a console.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 02:52:42 pm by gamfa » Logged

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 07:18:17 pm »

I agree completely with EyesOnly. Light seems to follow the KISS way of doing things. This is why 6.0 Light has been my distro of choice since A14. I have found the replacement for Puppy.

There is a utility that Puppy has that I wish Light had. Pmount or Mut. I like to mount drives when "I" want them mounted. It is nice to use one of those instead of a console.

I am using fluxbox with xfce4-panel and there is an applet for mounting devices.
You can as well setup gkrellm for this purpose which is included in the LIGHT package.

And YES VL-6-LIGHT is THE distro. I new from the first alpha and mentioned it then.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 07:34:07 pm »

I have made VL-6-A014-Light my working Linux box fully running to my needs,
except one problem 'at' and 'cron' jobs will not play sound when commanded
by user.
This problem is present as well in slackware-12.1/2 from where I guess it was
inherited originally.

Now in the Beta version of light 'at' and 'cron' jobs do play sound when commanded
by user.

After having moved house I do not feel inclined to do it again just because of this problem.
I am therefore asking if a solution can be found for my present VL-6-Light box.

The error I get when trying to play sound with 'at' or cron is:

ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:3985:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2202:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
sox: Failed writing default: cannot open audio device

Would I have to copy just some files from Beta over to my box and which one?

Help much appreciated.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2009, 07:53:08 pm »

Pita, did you run "alsaconf" again after installing the new kernel and modules? If not, give it a shot.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 08:12:46 pm »

Pita, did you run "alsaconf" again after installing the new kernel and modules? If not, give it a shot.

I think I did. Did it again now. Rebooted. Unmounted my working /home directory. Tried it.
Tried it in another users /home. Nothing doing. Huh

BTW the other sound problem reported that sound suddenly would not play as user was solved.
It was an error in root crontab. Since sound in user crontab will not play I moved the commands
into root cron where it said "play sound in ./sound" when there is no such directory in root.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 10:05:13 pm »

alsa-driver is kernel specific.  Since you loaded the 2.6.27.10-3 kernel you need the matching alsa-driver package which Uelsk8s built.  If you found the post with the kernel you'll see that the alsa-driver package is also listed there.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: