VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 06:47:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Switch to Linux  (Read 17515 times)
Sty
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 10:05:55 pm »

I think the best way would be trying to get the VMWare Server version going, where you run Windows "in the background".  I never could get that quite right on my desktop.  Maybe I'll give it another go when things settle down.

* Enterprise *
Running Vector Linux 5.9 Deluxe
|| Intel Core2Duo E6600 | 4 GB DDR2 RAM | ATi Radeon X1900XT ||
aulus

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 10:24:26 am »

I have vmware server running on my VL 6 rc4 desktop and it didn't require any tweeks. My virtual windows runs as expected in a VM.

Aspirat primo Fortuna labori.
(Fortune smiles upon our first effort.)
----Virgil
GeneralError324

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 07:21:14 pm »

You may also want to check out Crossover Office, though it may not work for everything it's worth a shot.  You can get a trial version and more information at http://www.codeweavers.com It's built on Wine and is pretty good, I use it for my Windows stuff like Flash and Photoshop(No longer photoshop now that I learned some GIMP  Smiley )
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 07:55:44 pm »

Yea, with Crossover Office (or wine), you should be able to run outlook 2003, without the need to have a virtual machine with windows running... Though you might want/need a newer version of outlook, and some problems might show up even with the older versions.

I also use Virtual Box and it works great, but it's quite a hit to your system (especially in ram).
TheyMostlyWork

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 06:07:20 pm »

+1 for VirtualBox. I have had good luck using it to host XP Pro in VL SOHO 5.9. Actually, the transparency is so good (to me) that I get slightly uncomfortable: I don't like the scary feeling I get  Shocked  when momentarily forget that I'm actually running linux under the hood....  Roll Eyes
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 06:41:24 pm »

Currently I run XP in Virtual Box 2.1.4 and am able to sync my Dell Axim X30 with Outlook 2003. For my purposes this works better than VMware Server 2. I need the same access as you seem to need and the one item that keeps MS on my machine(s) is syncing with windows mobile. There is not yet a viable linux option for this. Changing to PalmOS is not of interest to me. The other "needs" are workable.

I do dual boot with Vista and have no qualms with it; others may complain about it but I cannot.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Sty
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 09:21:15 pm »

Mike, have you tried this solution before? http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Linux-Symbiosis-Not-a-Dream-Anymore-59314.shtml

That's what I think I want to have happen, just not sure that it is the best way to do it.

* Enterprise *
Running Vector Linux 5.9 Deluxe
|| Intel Core2Duo E6600 | 4 GB DDR2 RAM | ATi Radeon X1900XT ||
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 06:01:33 am »

I have not tried that specific arrangement. I have used VMware Server 1.x and 2.0 and the flakey USB support in 2.0 (at least on my machines) sent me back to Virtual Box (currently using 2.1.4 - not OSE) which has very good USB interaction (on my machines) and a much smaller footprint. Let me know how this "symbiosis" via VMware works for you.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 08:02:09 am »

Can you please include the option of Switch User su in your next release? Beacause for security reasons, people disable login by root. So if SU is available, they can switch to root and do the stuff which only root can do.
'su' is always available in VL releases. Being based on slackware it kind of comes with the territory.  Then again, maybe I just misunderstood your post above (wouldn't be the first time Tongue)
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: