VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 09:43:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So what did you get on Christmaskkaheid?  (Read 3229 times)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« on: December 28, 2008, 10:46:20 am »

I basically got mad candy and a bunch of jerky of various animals (including ostrich). We ordered a few items from abebooks but they haven't shown up yet ... plus my one friend from Jilin (map) bought me a new keyboard and mouse 'cause my old ones were crappy.

That's about it. I look forward to reppin' Dipset in the dippiest of new years.

And you?

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 02:00:57 pm »

Hanukkah isn't a traditional gift giving holiday.  For traditional Jews that's Purim, which will come in a couple of months.  What is given is Hanukkah gelt (money!).  In America many Jews do give gifts -- it was originally so that Jewish kids wouldn't be jealous of their Christian neighbors.  My family is decidedly divided on the issue Smiley

My new computer was effectively funded with Hanukkah gelt.  I did pick it out and order it but family really paid for it Smiley  I did get one really nice gift from a non-Jewish friend:  a nice warm winter quilt.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 03:42:25 pm »

In America many Jews do give gifts -- it was originally so that Jewish kids wouldn't be jealous of their Christian neighbors.

This is why I asked.

Of course Christmaskkaheid wouldn't be pan-Abrahamic without the 'kkah'.

Come to think of it, I should have included 'Yule', but there again I know of no closeted Nazi gun-nuts on this forum (i.e., most Ásatrúar outside of Europe)

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 03:24:09 pm »

I got the biggest bag of french roast coffee I have ever seen and the offer to download VL6 iso via highspeed to a free thumb drive..unfortunately they are away now until after new years. so until then I am wide eyed with a thumb drive burning a hole in my pocket.
cheers

Everything Is Relative
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 12:36:59 am »

The joy of giving.....

Instead of exchanging gifts, my wife and I provided gifts for a young man in foster care.

And the Reno Cigar Lions provided computers (running Vector Linux, of course) and a pizza party for seventeen young people in the Big Brothers Big Sisters program.....

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 01:48:24 am »

Of course Christmaskkaheid wouldn't be pan-Abrahamic without the 'kkah'.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 11:46:19 pm »

That's right ... Christmaskkaheid ... the pan-Abrahamic, i.e., all-religions-related-to-the-religious-figure-Abraham holiday when we celebrate not blowing up the living hell out of each other. (Roll Eyes)

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 12:40:05 am »

... when we celebrate not blowing up the living hell out of each other. (Roll Eyes)

Hey man, no promises.  You don't know my relatives.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
EyesOnly

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 06:45:50 am »

Quote from: tomh38
"Hey man, no promises. You don't know my relatives."

LOL! Grin NOR MINE! Thanks for my "Laugh For The Day" there Tom!

I'm a Native American---my "Xmas" falls around between the Canadian/American "Thanksgiving Day" and is called "The Autumn
Harvest Festival". Wink But my family (wife, kids, grandkiddos) all celebrate Xmas and this year instead of doing the "Secret Santa"
which we normally do (I participate to keep the number even and for the kids), because of the downturn in the economy we instead
decided to make it a day solely for the two grandchildren.

I think the rest of my family finally learnt what I have already known for years and have been trying to teach them, and that is the
adage of "It's more blessed to give than receive." I've never seen so many REAL smiles upon my family's faces when they saw the joy
they'd brought to the grandkiddos with all the gifts! And my grandson (who is Autistic) looked at me and said, "This is my most perfect
Xmas ever grandpa!"

I don't think I'll ever be forgetting this Xmas, nor will anyone else in my family!

Thanks for allowing me to share.

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 07:14:49 pm »

Our major Christmas present was a new toilet.

When our son was here in October for my mother's 90th birthday, he surprised us by redoing our bathroom with a new floor, vanity, sink, and toilet. We paid for the other stuff but he bought the toilet for us as an early Christmas present. The sucker was expensive!

It's a splendid thing. It's a water-saver with extended bowl. At Home Depot (building supply store) where we got it, they assign a flush rating ranging from 1 to 10 to the water-saver toilets. As you know if you've ever used a water-saver toilet, some of them don't do so well and you need two flushes to get the contents down the pipe. Well, a "10" toilet uses very little water and clears the bowl in about one second. There is a sign in the store saying the toilet will flush something like 500 sheets of toilet paper or 200 tennis balls or some ridiculous figure. Needless to say, we haven't tested that claim.<g>

I didn't get any high-tech or computer-related gifts. I honestly have everything I need or want. I did get a certificate for My French Coach for my Nintendo DS. I'd really like to recover some of my high-school and college French and it looks like a fun way to do it.

I hope 2009 will be a much better year for us all than 2008.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 07:28:17 pm »

So GrannyGeek, I got a bowl too, however, to be used on the upper end of the
digestive track.

It was tea cup of huge dimensions and I was debating if it is not a
mistaken noodle soup bowl. My new tea bowl holds 400 ml (13 oz) filled to the rim and
weighs 275 g (10 oz) and is called Tenmoku. Very beautiful, very expensive and still
made the same way as 1,000 years ago in the same giant kiln of 'Yu Lin Ting' China.

I am great fan of Chinese tea, a science on its own, and must say it is a new experience
drinking certain teas from this huge tea bowl, holding it with 2 hands, looking at the
reflection of the light at the bottom of the  bowl which changes relative to type of
tea and light source.

So my tea drinking joys will be even better in 2009.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 07:31:35 pm »

I got a T-shirt with penguins on it, its more about Patagonia than about linux, but kool anyway.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 01:26:12 am »

I got a definite harddrive-crash;
Full-out headcrash on my 200Gig drive.(about 80 Gigs of personal files lost...)

And ofcourse, I got a lot of tinkering, due to that...

<Lame sig>
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 04:16:39 am »

I got visits from all three of my kids, plus a 5 DVD set of Rumpole of the Bailey (1978 and 1979) and pneumonia, from which I am now recovered (mostly).  I really lived it up, so the pneumonia was well worth it. After watching the first of the Rumpole DVD's, I am reminded again of the folly of my decision to pass on that Shakespeare elective in college.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: