VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 06:22:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft hands out new years gifts to their customers  (Read 1908 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: December 31, 2008, 08:33:09 am »

It all started this morning when a couple of co-workers expressed their anger very loudly because their beloved zune music players were frozen.
They start calling their zune friends, and find out theirs are doing the exact same thing.

Get on google and search for "zune freezes" and you will find countless reports of people having the same problem.. It all started sometime early in 12/31/09 in the early hours of 12/31/2009.

Seems Microsoft is keeping up with their motto.
I've read reports of something being referred to as the "red-ring-of-death" bug in the XBOX 360 game console. Now, I dont own one of these, so I can't confirm it.

I can't help but to remember the times of the y2k panic and the countless blue screen of death incidents I've been through.

But then again... It's Microsoft, it's what they do.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 09:14:16 am by M0E-lnx » Logged

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 09:13:18 am »

It all started sometime early in 12/31/09.
still got time then?  Wink

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 10:06:37 am »

Seems Microsoft is keeping up with their motto.
I've read reports of something being referred to as the "red-ring-of-death" bug in the XBOX 360 game console. Now, I dont own one of these, so I can't confirm it.

It's true

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhWU4Asphb8

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 07:18:20 am »

I've read reports of something being referred to as the "red-ring-of-death" bug in the XBOX 360 game onsole. Now, I dont own one of these, so I can't confirm it.
That's not a bug it's a feature  Grin. Whenever the X360 breaks, it recognizes this and shows flashy red colored leds around the power button. Only M$ would add all that functionality in case it breaks, guess they weren't too confident about the hardware themselves. But the RROD is just a symptom of a deeper problem. Much like a BSOD is not the problem, just a symptom of a more screwed up winDOS

A friend of mine has had 3 Red Rings Of Doom so far. The newer X360's seem to be more reliable, though I can't say for sure. A funny thing about the X360 is that the year can only be set to 2025, so after that it's time bug for that machine as well. ( Remember 1999 when everybody was all "millennium bug this, millennium bug that"? Good times ).

Another "great" gift of Microsoft to their XBOX 360 users is the "New Xbox Experience". Basically, one day when I turned my machine on, it downloaded an update, installed it and rebooted, After that, I had to create a very childish Avatar before I could play anything. These avatars are simply the most annoying things ever to set foot on my gaming console. There's quite a limited amount of stuff you can do with them. The fattest avatar you can make doesn't look much more than slightly chubby, the smallest looks pretty much like a stick figure. And when I had finally created a somewhat menacing looking character, it decided to show a big smile and wave. Not what I'd let my avatar do if I had a choice. The "New XBOX experience" cannot be uninstalled, and you can't choose to use the old one.

Sometimes I wonder if Microsoft are really evil or really stupid, and I still haven't found an answer.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 09:03:06 am »

Sometimes I wonder if Microsoft are really evil or really stupid, and I still haven't found an answer.

Both.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 09:53:05 am »

Quote from: Epic Fail Guy

that was funny - in a twisted sort of way...

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 05:46:47 pm »

speaking of winows...I decided to upgrade my old presario with xp which I failed to register...after adding a dvd to replace the cd burner and a larger hd for storage it would not let me log in unless I called microsoft with a long string of generated numbers in exchange for another string to let them know I altered there (my) machine. legit as it is I see no reason for that crap so I formatted the drives. I do not get it. I paid for the unit but can only use it as is? there phone must be ringin off the hook if every one messes with them like I do...and I hate to think of what will happen when I boot the newest one...I had no idea.....thank heaven for linux...at least the box does something

OH...sorry...i'm ranting again

Everything Is Relative
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 08:04:15 pm »

I don't know why you got flagged to call Microsoft for activation. I've made extensive changes on my XP computers and have never had to reactivate over the phone. One time I changed a hard drive, CD-RW/DVD drive, video card, and sound card and fully expected I'd have to call and explain, but nary a peep. The computer was already activated and I didn't have to reactivate.

I actually moved XP to an entirely different computer. This is legal with a retail version as long as you remove XP from the original machine. I did and was amazed when I was able to activate the new machine the usual way (over the Web), not with a phone call.

I upgraded the CPU, added RAM, and added a video card to my Compaq desktop. That came with XP preinstalled. Once again, no activation request.

XP has some sort of timer that tracks changes that might require reactivation. It resets itself after four months, so if you haven't made any changes in four months, it's like you're starting from scratch. Maybe that's why I didn't run into activation issues when I made the hardware changes. It had been over four months since I had last changed hardware.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 08:20:56 pm »

Quote from: Epic Fail Guy

that was funny - in a twisted sort of way...

The comedy goldmine that is the Third Reich will never give out.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 08:45:16 pm »

well I had a choice online or phone...the box was not connected to the net and never was..and I did not register to use it anywhere. I paid for it and if it's not mine I do not want it..activation does nothing to help me, I am not sure antivirus does either...well this is likely an old story and I must reframe

EFG...lol
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 09:19:31 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: