VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 08:03:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Newbie  (Read 2180 times)
alvahw

« on: December 31, 2008, 07:52:34 pm »

I am 64 years old,
I have a mental illness.
---------------------------
That's strike 2. 

I enjoy tinkering with Linux, but I am not the brightest light on the tree.  Mostly, I try to figure out how to get the Linux mutimedia capabilities to perform as seamlessly as the OS from Redmond. I have been going in circles for a couple of years at least.  There are a number of things which claim to make browser plugins fit simply and work well.  If that is the case, I am even dumber than I thought!  When I tinker with something that doesn't work until it does work, I somehow make something which was working not work anymore.  I have mostly tinkered with Debian and its offspring distros. 

I have just approached VL with a whole lot of humilty and a little bit of hope.  Regardless of the success or lack of success, it will certainly be fun trying. 
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 12:09:33 am »

Welcome to VL.

Browser multimedia is quite well supported in Vector. Hope you find it to your liking. Smiley
jams002

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 10:45:37 pm »

hello welcome to the community enjoy staying here,,and i am also new here in this forum,,i hope i can learn a lot here staying here!!

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 08:44:21 am »

Hi Alvahw and Jams002! Welcome to the VectorLinux Forums! I hope that the both of you will soon be calling this place "home" just as I've come to do over the past few years (even though I haven't posted much). I'll tell you both: Unlike a lot of other places, this one is very friendly and very helpful! Smiley These people, I've found, will always go the extra mile/kilometer to help you solve a problem or two (or more LOL!) and in plain ENGLISH. (Perhaps even in your own language in private if they speak it.)

Another great thing here that's definitely helped me a lot with various problems, or even given me ideas? Reading through the forums. I don't know if you have the time for that Jams002 but perhaps Alvahw has the "free time" since I'm in the same boat as you, so as for myself I have hours a day where I can just sit and read. Now if I could retain what I read I'd be all set! LOL! Grin

There's also a section here in the forum called "HOWTO's" that you may want to read through guys? Loaded with info and little "This is 'how to' do such-and-such..." manuals.

Once again: Welcome to VectorLinux. Welcome home!

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 04:18:02 pm »

Welcome alvahw and jams002 !

Let me second EyesOnly ... this is a great place to hang out and learn about Linux.  The folks here are friendly, and you won't get flamed for asking a "dumb" question ... I've asked more than my share of those  Embarrassed and everyone has been patient and helpful. So please don't be afraid to ask!

The versions of VL I've tried so worked good out of the box. Only issues were with my own hardware, not necessarily VL's problem.

Say, alvahw, you're not *that* old. Remember how little boys like to break things so that they can learn how they work? That doesn't mean that they can put them back together again Grin Grin

ciao, and here to help,
Howard in FL
~~~~~~~~

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
EyesOnly

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 12:51:00 pm »

-Ahem!- I beg to differ with you Windoze! LOL! When did you ever ask a "dumb" question? I've been following ever since you've joined (seeing I've been around a few years) and I've yet to see you---let alone anyone for that matter!---asking a "dumb" question.

No joke!

How can that possibly be? Because the only truly "dumb" question is the ONE that goes unasked!

That's my "Food For Thought" for the day. Wink That line always had me stumped until someone else had posted it likewise as a "Food For Thought" and I sat around thinking about it. LOL! Hey... old duffer like me has that sort of spare time on my hands, ya'know? Grin

Amicalement!/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: