VectorLinux
April 16, 2014, 08:09:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 5.9 light freezes when loading APM at startup  (Read 1146 times)
jahh

« on: January 05, 2009, 07:15:50 pm »

I recently installed and re-installed Vector 5.9 light onto my old laptop. I formatted the 4.3 GB drive with 2 partitions, one a 512 mb swap file and the rest into a bootable linux type. I followed the how-to on the setup and did everything to the best of my knowledge and abilities, but on startup the bar stops at loading APM. I have tried the graphical and text loaders and including/excluding a few optional things. What is APM and why may it not load on my laptop?
Thanks.

Laptop stats:
About a dozen years old, was running windows 98
AMD 350 MHz proccessor
64 mb syncDRAM
Capaq Presario model # 1456VQL1N
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 07:49:10 pm »

APM is the module that controls power management on old systems like yours that don't have the newer ACPI.  It's what will tell you when your battery is running low, for example.  It should load on your laptop.  I've never seen VL freeze at that point.  You can disable APM by booting in single user mode and then, as root:

cd /etc/rc.d
chmod 644 rc.apm

The problem with doing this is that you almost certainly do want APM functionality on your machine.

What is the make and model of your laptop?

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video
VL 7.0 Light
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 08:04:25 pm »

If unable to boot from hard disk, try using your VL install disk. On the first screen, enter the following:
linux root=/dev/hdXX ro vga=normal apm=off
You will need to substitute the "/dev/hdXX" with the actual location of where you installed VL, like /dev/hda1 or similar.
jahh

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 03:44:36 pm »

If it is the battery manager i would rather not disable it because the battery on the laptop is dying and with windows on it it only held for about an hour.
I tried to boot using nightfliers suggestion of using CD and typing in "linux root=/dev/hdXX ro vga=normal apm=off" at the prompt putting hda1, hda2, and hda in place of hdxx. none worked all said that they were unable to mount root fs on unkown-block(0,0).

HDA is my hard-drive, HDA2 is my boot part., and HDA1 part. is my swap.

Caitlyn, i am new to linux, and don't know how to get to single user mode.

in case they help here are the complete stats on the laptop:
Processor:    350 MHz AMD K6 Proccessor 2  3d NOW!
Ram:           64 MB 100MHz SuncDRAM
HD:             4.3GB UltraDMA Hard Drive
Screen:       13.3" TFT Active Matrix Display
Modem:        56K ITU V.90 Modem       
Video:          2X AGP 8MB video memory by Rage LT Pro ATI Graphics
Cache:         1MB L2 Pipeline Burst Cache
USB:           1.0 one port

also during the partitioning after i write the partitions to the HD i goto tell it to reboot but after it says restarting system all the lights blink, the fans, HD, and CD stop spinning but the screen stays on withe the message still on it and the cursor is blinking.

thanks!
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 04:47:06 pm »

If it can't read or mount the root filesystem then single user mode isn't going to help you one little bit.  Your installation sounds like it is seriously hosed.  Have you ever been able to boot into this installation?  If the answer is no then it's time to reinstall.

If you're going to redo the install go ahead and try Vector Linux Light 6.0 beta 1.  Normally I don't advise beta releases but this one is remarkably stable and has better hardware detection than 5.9.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video
VL 7.0 Light
jahh

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 08:46:37 pm »

Ok, I'll try that and hope that it works. Thanks!

EDIT: i only see VL 6.0 Standard Edition RC1 on the downloads, were is VL light 6.0 beta?
EDIT2: NVRM Google provides, found the post with the link in it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 08:54:30 pm by jahh » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: