Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: Not a problem - I just did a dumb thing  (Read 1087 times)

budulay

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • NewComer
Not a problem - I just did a dumb thing
« on: January 07, 2009, 06:46:51 pm »
Hi
I was trying to use vinstall-iso file that I got from http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/install/vinstall/vinstall-iso to install VL6.0-Light-B1, but received "cannot decompress initrd.img from ISO-file"
I checked md5sum and it was fine.
After searching the forum, I found this page. I removed -S from "gunzip - S -c loop/isolinux/initrd.img > $INSTALLRD || \" as suggested, but did not get any further.
Are there any changes made to the VL6.0-Light-B1, comparing to VL6.0-Dynamite-0.7(I couldn't get GUI to load there right away, and since I did not have much time then, I stopped trying), which I installed using the same script, that may prevent 5.9 script from working? If so, is there a place where I could download a new script, or what changes should be made to the existing script to make it work?
Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 09:08:22 pm by budulay »
VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Installing VL6.0-Light-B1 from the Linux host
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 07:10:11 pm »
You can try the script in the iso itself (/install/vinstall/vinstall-iso)

budulay

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • NewComer
Re: Installing VL6.0-Light-B1 from the Linux host
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 08:38:11 pm »
Thank you for your quick response.
For some reason I could not get into /install/vinstall directory. I ran "mount -o loop VL6.0-Light-B1.iso /mnt/loop" under root. Then I navigated to the /mnt/loop and found content of iso image there, but all files are empty and few of them do not exist along with few directories(mc shows red file name with a question mark in front of it). /install/vinstall is one of those red non existing directories.

For me it looks like a bad download, but I checked md5sum and it was exactly what it should be.

Thank you once again for taking your time and trying to help me.
VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)

budulay

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • NewComer
Re: Not a problem - I just made a dumb thing
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 09:07:57 pm »
I am sorry - I just did a really dumb thing:
The download which I checked a md5sum for is not the one I used for installation. I misplaced it and used the one from the different directory. The one I used was about 100 kb in size, so it's not wonder that it didn't worked - there just wasn't anything to load.

So tomorrow I will proceed with the installation, using the right iso this time.

Thank you nightflier for trying to help and sorry for waisting your time.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Not a problem - I just did a dumb thing
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 10:04:22 pm »
As long as learning is taking place, time is not wasted.  ;D

It is obvious you are willing to put forth the effort and do your part, so I'm happy to offer any help I can give.