VectorLinux
November 01, 2014, 05:02:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kernel Makefiles  (Read 3619 times)
bitsync

« on: January 06, 2009, 09:05:38 pm »

Hope this is the right forum for this but I just installed the 5.9 VL light version (using the LIVE CD) on my laptop. My laptop is a DELL Inspiron 8600. I currently have to use the built in modem for dial-up access. Being a softmodem it is apparently not supported natively in the kernel. I downloaded this slmodem source code package and attempted to build it using the provided Makefiles. It seemed to build ok until it attempted to do the following:

make modules -C /lib/modules/2.6.22.19/build SUBDIRS=/home/bsync/slmodem-2.9.11-20080817/drivers
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.22.19'
make[2]: Makefile: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `Makefile'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.22.19'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bsync/slmodem-2.9.11-20080817/drivers'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I investigated the problem and found that the Makefile under /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.19 is a symlink which appears to be corrupted. Here is the long listing of it:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 2008-12-28 23:47 /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.19/Makefile -> ../gnome-theme/o_16x16.png

Obviously this can't be correct but I don't think I touched the /usr/src stuff. It is as installed during the VL Light installation. Further checking shows that numerous other Makefile symlinks under the /usr/src dir are similarly corrupted.

I am on a very limited bandwidth modem right now. Can anybody suggest the best solution for this problem and/or confirm it is a VL distro problem?

Thanks.
bitsync

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 07:45:10 am »

I downloaded a new kernel source package from kernel.org last night (4 hours worth of dialup-download). I will hopefully have time to look thru it tonight. If it contains good Makefiles I will overlay it on my /usr/src dir and see if I get better results.
bitsync

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 08:21:40 am »

Well, I got the kernel source downloaded and it does build. It also allowed me to build the slmodem modules slamr.o and slusb.o but after installing them in the /lib/.../modules dir they still would not load in my active kernel. 'modprobe slamr' fails with something like FATAL: ... INVALID MODULE FORMAT. The modules appear to be closely tied to the specific kernel. I'm thinking maybe I have to configure the new kernel source to match my current kernel configuration or else I will have to run my new kernel to load the new modules.

...The plot thickens.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 09:31:58 am »

You can also get a newer (compiled) kernel and modules from the repository at http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/kernels/.

But that's more downloading for you...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: