VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Kernel Makefiles  (Read 3788 times)

bitsync

Kernel Makefiles
« on: January 06, 2009, 09:05:38 pm »

Hope this is the right forum for this but I just installed the 5.9 VL light version (using the LIVE CD) on my laptop. My laptop is a DELL Inspiron 8600. I currently have to use the built in modem for dial-up access. Being a softmodem it is apparently not supported natively in the kernel. I downloaded this slmodem source code package and attempted to build it using the provided Makefiles. It seemed to build ok until it attempted to do the following:

make modules -C /lib/modules/2.6.22.19/build SUBDIRS=/home/bsync/slmodem-2.9.11-20080817/drivers
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.22.19'
make[2]: Makefile: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `Makefile'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.22.19'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bsync/slmodem-2.9.11-20080817/drivers'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I investigated the problem and found that the Makefile under /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.19 is a symlink which appears to be corrupted. Here is the long listing of it:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 2008-12-28 23:47 /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.19/Makefile -> ../gnome-theme/o_16x16.png

Obviously this can't be correct but I don't think I touched the /usr/src stuff. It is as installed during the VL Light installation. Further checking shows that numerous other Makefile symlinks under the /usr/src dir are similarly corrupted.

I am on a very limited bandwidth modem right now. Can anybody suggest the best solution for this problem and/or confirm it is a VL distro problem?

Thanks.

bitsync

Re: Kernel Makefiles
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 07:45:10 am »

I downloaded a new kernel source package from kernel.org last night (4 hours worth of dialup-download). I will hopefully have time to look thru it tonight. If it contains good Makefiles I will overlay it on my /usr/src dir and see if I get better results.

bitsync

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 08:21:40 am »

Well, I got the kernel source downloaded and it does build. It also allowed me to build the slmodem modules slamr.o and slusb.o but after installing them in the /lib/.../modules dir they still would not load in my active kernel. 'modprobe slamr' fails with something like FATAL: ... INVALID MODULE FORMAT. The modules appear to be closely tied to the specific kernel. I'm thinking maybe I have to configure the new kernel source to match my current kernel configuration or else I will have to run my new kernel to load the new modules.

...The plot thickens.

wcs

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 09:31:58 am »

You can also get a newer (compiled) kernel and modules from the repository at http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/kernels/.

But that's more downloading for you...