VectorLinux
July 22, 2014, 03:28:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem Running Live CD - Newbie  (Read 1589 times)
jonH

« on: January 07, 2009, 06:28:28 am »

Folks
New to Linux and trying to run VL Live on a Toshiba Satellite Pro with Win XP. I downloaded VL5.9-Light-LIVE-B1 to CD and set the Toshiba bios to boot from CD. I hear the CD drive run but after a while I get a windows screen saying there's been a problem and would I like to start in safe mode - so I believe PC is trying to boot from CD, failing and switching back to hard disk. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 06:34:39 am »

Definitely sounds like a problem. I can think of a couple of things you can try

The first that comes to mind is the posibility of a corrupt download or a bad burn. In this case, I'd suggest checking the mdsum of the ISO and make sure you burned the ISO correctly. Try burning at a slower speed too.

I also noticed you downloaded a beta release. Try the final product, which has been more extensively tested.. Here is the URL http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9-STD-LIVE-Final.iso

How are you burning the image? What program are you using?
You should be using some feature labeled "Burn cd image" from your burning software.

Welcome to the forum... HTH

jonH

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 07:09:04 am »

MOE-lnx
Thanks for the swift response - I suspect something screwed up on the download, the mdsum doesn't work out, so I'll downloadthe version you link to and will try again.

BTW, I was using the windows CD writing Wizard
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 09:00:51 am »

BTW, I was using the windows CD writing Wizard

That's probably the problem right there, I think it defaults to writing regular data cd's. Use a program like Isoburn or Burnatonce instead.
jonH

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 12:08:52 pm »

Thank You. With a new download and CD written with Burnatonce, the laptop boots fine from the CD. During the boot process however I get a message that no kdm, xdm or gdm is found so no gui. I've looked at the install documentation & FAQs but cant find reference to it. Is this something I need to install separately?

Apologies for all the dumb questions
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 12:20:23 pm »

No.. it *should* run out of the box.

when you get to text mode, login as user "vl" password "vector"
then try typing "startx" (without the quotes) and see if you get to the graphical environment that way

jonH

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 12:23:10 pm »

No joy M0E-lnx, i get '-bash: startx: command not found'
jonH

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 12:32:20 pm »

A little more information having just tried to boot again - I dont know if its connected to the kdm etc problem but the 1st error occurs on a line that says:

(none) login: /etc/rc.d/rc.X: line 53: find: command not found
touch: cannot touch ' /var/log/BOOTX' : No such file or directory
/etc/rc.d/rc.X: line 65: /var/log/bootx.log: No such file or directory

Then the message about not having KDM, GDM, WDM or XDM

Thanks
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 12:35:27 pm »

Ok.. there is definitely something wrong there. startx should not say "command not found" I'm afraid you got another bad burn or bad download here

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: