VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 11:35:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: All's not well in 5.9SOHO (on my machine, at least..)  (Read 11889 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 09:44:01 pm »

First my apologies we did test this release for many months prior to release and certainly would not have released a paid for version with any known bugs that we encountered. However, what we found and what has been found after release are sometimes two different things. For problem 1) check and see if /etc/rc.d/rc.inet3 exists that is where your wireless settings are stored and should be processed with each boot.
Problem 2) VL-hot is not designed for cd media it's goal was mainly usb storage devices such as pendrives external hard drives etc. If during the install you choose hal instead of vl-hot all of the mentioned work as well as cd style media. VL-hot is intended as a low memory replacement for hal as it does not run as a daemon as does hal but is not as complete as hal in functionality. You will have to explain how the second cd is unusable that I don't understand simply mount and run install.sh should work.

Vec
sullysat

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 06:58:52 am »

Thanks for the clarification, Vector!  That will help a bunch.

Now that I have a clearer understanding of the issue, I'll just reinstall and select HAL (unless there's a way to do it differently???).  Then I'll deal with the wireless issue.

My goal, ultimately, is to replace MS in my office with Linux.  Right now, Vector is my front runner, so I really appreciate your help.  This is the 'best' machine I've installed Vector on, but I like what I see so far.

I'll let you know about the wireless.

Sincerely,
SullySAT

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 08:16:52 am »

You can switch to HAL from vasm, super, hardware, mounter.
I think your wireless issue is easy to fix, maybe just adding a few commands to /etc/rc.d/rc.local, the problem is the gui program probably found a exceptional case in your hardware and couldn't initialize it properly at boot time, there is no way to test all the software against all the available hardware, and problems like this one are -IMHO- normal.
Please post any other issue you may have an we will try to solve it.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
sullysat

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 08:50:45 am »

I agree, I just never had to deal with it in Vector before, so it was a bit disconcerting, given the other issues.

I'll try the fix you outlined here, but I was also able to mount the CD via kdisk, or whatever that little KDE app is called under utilities.

Do I need to be root to run install.sh off the CD?
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 09:15:58 am »

Yes, you need to be root to install any software in VL.  The installation script is no different than gslapt.  In fact, it runs gslapt.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 07:18:02 pm »

It's pretty easy to start a CD without HAL. Just open a terminal and type
mount /mnt/cdrom
and there you go. You can do this as user if there is a line like this in /etc/fstab:
/dev/cdrom    /mnt/cdrom        iso9660 defaults,noauto,ro,user 0 0

Some file managers have mount and unmount commands. XFE that either comes with 5.9 Deluxe or can be installed with GSlapt lets you simply right-click on /mnt/cdrom in the file list and select mount. You can unmount either through the devices icon on the XFce panel or through right-clicking on /mnt/cdrom in XFE and selecting Unmount.

In addition to what Vec said about the /etc/rc.d/rc.inet3 file, make sure it is executable.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
sullysat

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 07:43:31 pm »

OKay, progress is being made.. thanks for all the suggestions!

I did the VASM thing and chose HAL.. rebooted and everything worked great!

Then I shut down and did a cold boot.. and it was back to vl-hot.  Now it won't make the connection at all.

More suggestions?

Sully
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 12:07:21 am »

Then I shut down and did a cold boot.. and it was back to vl-hot

How do you know it was back to vl-hot?
If HAL is running, you should see a bunch of hald processes, when you type
Code:
ps aux | grep hal

I don't think HAL has anything to do with your wireless connection. HAL handles removable media.

Did you check if /etc/rc.d/rc.inet3 exists and its contents, like vector suggested?
sullysat

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 06:45:21 am »

The wireless is a whole different issue that I'm not focused on right now at all, since I can get on, I just have to set it up every time I boot.

You're right though, I don't know its back to anything where the hardware is concerned.  I DO know that its not activating HAL through VASM as it is supposed to and as it did the first time I attempted it.

SullySAT
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2008, 07:12:56 am »

The wireless is a whole different issue that I'm not focused on right now at all, since I can get on, I just have to set it up every time I boot.

You're right though, I don't know its back to anything where the hardware is concerned.  I DO know that its not activating HAL through VASM as it is supposed to and as it did the first time I attempted it.

SullySAT

Hi sullysat, please post the output of ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc.hald

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
dlannan

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 04:18:49 am »

running the commands below as root will fix your fonts
Code:
cd / && sh /var/log/scripts/x11-fonts*

I know this is quite pointless, but I had to thank uelsk8s for this brilliant tip - saved me TUNS of headache. Thanks, you rok!! I signed up to this forum because it helped so much!! thanks again..
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: