VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 10:10:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 RC-2 feedback and bug reports  (Read 25646 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: January 08, 2009, 01:15:11 am »

We have released RC2 for VL-6.0 please post anything you find here, the good the bad and the ugly. Sorry no official announcement yet, we all ran out of gas last night but there will be one soon. The iso and md5sum are here:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/VL6.0-STD-RC2.iso
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/VL6.0RC2.md5sum.txt

Big news is new kernel for this 2.6.27.10 hope this clears up some past hardware issues. Lots of bug fixes so test away and gives us all the reports you can. We want to go final soon so even little annoyances can be addressed here.

Thanks,
Vec
Kosh

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 01:19:20 pm »

Hi! I've installed new RC2 and get the same problems that in RC1 (but all of them can be solved when or post-install) as reported in
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7998.msg55413#msg55413
1.-GUI installer said "installation media not found" but installation works in text mode
Same problem. Not a big problem because you can choose text-mode install. But it's annoying of course. Perhaps because I have a SATA DVD-ROM?

2- Perhaps my fault but I didn't found a localization option in the text mode installer. I'm spanish, so should I use the tips in
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=8002.0
Same problem. Not a big issue again because in GDM login you can choose language and for text-mode you can edit /etc/profile.d/lang.sh
But would be great if that could be done during installation, adding an option to the text-based installer so the insatler edit lang.sh (perhpas in graphic installer it's done but I couldn't check it of course)

3.-Problems with X configuration, perhaps because of a quite new Radeon, of course VESA mode works (1024*768, not a good resolution in my widescreen 1440*900 LCD), but "radeon" driver doesn't work , same problem with "ati" driver and with propietary ati driver
Solved downloading driver from ATI web. I think ATI proprietary driver included in ISO is 8.476 while in ATI web it's available 8.561. Perhaps new driver could be included in the ISO

Apart from that a great distro. Thanks

« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 02:34:50 pm by Kosh » Logged

Motherboard Gigabyte G31M-S2L, chipset intel G31/ICH7
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo
Video Card :ATI Radeon HD4650 (RV730)
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS40 (SATA)
HD SATA Samsung 753LJ
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 02:04:38 pm »

A quick report after install. The text installer never offered network setup options but the connection was live on startup. Still no luck with wifi and ndiswrapper which worked with 5.9 but not 5.9.1 or later. I noted with mint 6 (a quick two day trial) that everything was working "out of the box" (wifi, special buttons and key combos for this laptop, etc.) except hibernate/suspend which I've not gotten to work with VL. Thus I will try to impliment what I was getting from there (mint) to here (VL).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 03:27:53 pm by MikeCindi » Logged

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 04:33:28 pm »

Install went without any problems. Two items though - the 'verify install files' (if that was the wording) seemed to be ticked, but didn't to anything? Second, at the end of the install, when prompted to restart, there was still a fair bit of hard drive activity going on. I was in the middle of a job, so I let it sit for a while, but I'm curious as to what might have happened if I'd restarted immediately - could the prompt be delayed until everything is finished?

Running fine. I'm glad to see the gksu prompt now defaults to not saving the root password for the session - a much better security option.

Not sure I like the new menu button - with the older one, I could disable text and reduce its size, with the new icon, 'Menu' is part of the icon....

I'm also not sure about the new mouse pointer. Looks quite good (though too large IMHO), but I found it difficult to position reliably - it seems a bit longer than it looks and I often seemed to hit the wrong thing. Also, the pointer over a text field is very poor contrast - it tends to disappear into the background, making it hard to see.

Other than that, everything I've tried so far works  Grin

Looking very good indeed. More later....

paul.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 04:39:17 pm »

Ah. Forgot. So far, with a couple of reboots, there has been no sign of the lockup on boot problem that I reported for RC1. I'll have to try it a few more times, but so far, no sign of that particular problem.

The final part of the splash screen overwites in a pretty ugly manner when it switches to verbose mode just before GDM starts, but that isn't a major problem, so long as the lockups have stopped.

Also, a question. How does one go about changing things like the mouse theme for GDM?

paul.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 05:18:20 pm »

The mouse theme is changed by editing the /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme file
you need to put an icon theme in /usr/share/icons and edit the Inherits= to point at it.
pevsner

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 06:05:50 pm »

Thanks for the development.
Quick first comments.
I still have fonts issue as in all previous vl6 dev versions, fixed it with the .fonts.conf changes and as discussed with Vector re: rc1 bugs, and used the nvidia 173.xxx driver for my fx5200.
Opera doesnt work, I tried qtconfig which also doesnt work, so presumably qt is not loaded by default, hence opera problems; although polymer is now loaded by default.

Btw toothandnail, re menu button, i agree but you can load just the vector logo in properties - /usr/share/pixmaps/VL-BallRing-128.png.

Very nice to have the nimbus icons and theme included in repo, I have to add my own window manager nimbus-xfce4. Would be nice to have those in repo too.

Looking good and fast.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 06:23:07 pm »

The mouse theme is changed by editing the /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme file
you need to put an icon theme in /usr/share/icons and edit the Inherits= to point at it.

Ah, thanks for that. I'll have a look in a bit - at the moment, the new RC is busy building the latest xine-lib security fix....

paul.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 10:57:40 pm »

Just installed by hosted iso. All went smooth and fast. Find lilo splash screen depressing.

Cannot install my USB connected printer. No entry in Device: for it. Should be 'unknown'.
Toooo bad. Sad
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 12:39:49 am »

Just installed by hosted iso. All went smooth and fast. Find lilo splash screen depressing.

Cannot install my USB connected printer. No entry in Device: for it. Should be 'unknown'.
Toooo bad. Sad

Installed kernel 2.6.27.10 from VL-6-Light and could install my USB connected printer since Device; 'unknown' now present.
Successfully printed one page.
Very Goood!  Grin

Inkscape does not open when clicked from Menu looking for missing library.

scribus does not open when clicked from Menu looking for missing library.

Opera looking for missing library.

gslapt will not open when clicked from menu, only up to enter root password then nothing.
Works fine from terminal.
pevsner

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 07:52:05 am »

opera failure terminal output below:
/usr/lib/opera/9.63/opera: error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
vector:/~
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 07:59:08 am »

QT is loaded by default. If it isnt on your install something went wrong.

pita, can you explain here how you are doing your hosted install?
there seems to be a problem with it. It should already have the 2.6.27.10 kernel
pevsner

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 11:38:31 am »

cups- 404 page not found!
My HP1220c printer has no support for A3 size, apparently a bug in the hplip version used in vl6, later versions fix this. I did try upgrading but so far no luck.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 04:56:43 pm »

QT is loaded by default. If it isnt on your install something went wrong.

pita, can you explain here how you are doing your hosted install?
there seems to be a problem with it. It should already have the 2.6.27.10 kernel

There is no problem. 2.6.27.10 kernel is in /boot. The one in VL6-Light is the one you made with the -3.
With the one before that I could not connect to the Internet and not configure my printer.
That is why when I saw in RC2 the device for my printer is absent I made lilo to point
at my VL6-Light /boot instead of the RC2 /boot and it worked. Judging by the size they are the same
kernels. May be their guts are different.

Edit:
There is only one difference: vmlinuz has a different time stamp.

I copied now System.map-2.6.27.10  config-2.6.27.10  vmlinuz-2.6.27.10 from VL6-Light to RC2 and yes, I could configure my printer and print in RC2 since Device: 'unknown' is now present.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 06:53:50 pm by Pita » Logged
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 05:39:33 pm »

OK. My first report for VL6 STD RC2:

Bugs
===

1) major libqt problem affects all the following applications: opera, gambas2, inkscape, vl-hot-config, wpa-gui, vcpufreq. It seems to me that the libqt directories are misplaced and misnamed; do a "locate libqt" and you will see what I mean.

2) in text installer the system would not let me set a hostname - it flew past this screen with two text messages that I could not read. This did not affect ability to connect to eth0 however.

Annoyances
=======

1) we are now using 111MB (not including buffers/cache) just to run a basic system with one terminal open. This is almost 30 MB more than VL5.9 STD. I see this due to the fact that we now have all the extra daemons running which were not running by default in 5.9: smbd, nmbd, wicd, gdm, ssh-agent. Is this philosophically what we want, ie are we making VL-Light the low RAM usage distro now with Standard being the most resource consuming standard distro we have yet produced???

2) Menu, Accessories, Root Terminal does not work.

With the above problems I think we need an RC3 before we go final, IMHO.

Edit: corrected typos.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 07:20:10 pm by lagagnon » Logged

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: