VectorLinux
September 17, 2014, 01:16:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 RC-2 feedback and bug reports  (Read 27021 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 06:56:46 pm »

Also, a question. How does one go about changing things like the mouse theme for GDM?

paul.

I posted once in HOW TO: HOW TO Change Curser Set in Fluxbox. It might apply as well to xfce4.

Yes it works in xfce4. I just tried it and use now cristalsvg. From /usr/share/icons you have to copy
defaults either over to ~/user/.icons or edit it on place.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 07:25:22 pm by Pita » Logged
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 07:46:44 pm »

OK. My first report for VL6 STD RC2:

Bugs
===

1) major libqt problem affects all the following applications: opera, gambas2, inkscape, vl-hot-config, wpa-gui, vcpufreq. It seems to me that the libqt directories are misplaced and misnamed; do a "locate libqt" and you will see what I mean.

can you post your output?
Mine looks normal to me.
Code:
/usr/lib/vlc/gui/libqt4_plugin.la
/usr/lib/vlc/gui/libqt4_plugin.so
/usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
/usr/lib/qt-3.3.8b/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
/usr/lib/qt-3.3.8b/lib/libqt-mt.prl
/usr/lib/qt-3.3.8b/lib/libqt-mt.la
/usr/lib/qt-3.3.8b/lib/libqt-mt.so
/usr/lib/qt-3.3.8b/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3.8
/usr/lib/qt-3.3.8b/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3
/usr/lib/libqt-mt.so
/usr/lib/libqtmcop.la
/usr/lib/libqtmcop.so
/usr/lib/libqtmcop.so.1.0.0
/usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3.8
/usr/lib/libqtmcop.so.1
/usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3
thecdn

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 08:14:32 pm »

This is mine:

/usr/lib/libqt-mt.so
/usr/lib/libqtmcop.la
/usr/lib/libqtmcop.so
/usr/lib/libqtmcop.so.1

I'm having the same libqt problems as the others, which sucks because I finally get sound working but now no Opera.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 08:26:43 pm »

your missing:
Code:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    20 2008-12-31 16:23 /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3 -> qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    22 2008-12-31 16:23 /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3 -> qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    24 2008-12-31 16:23 /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3.8 -> qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3.8*
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 09:18:30 pm »

1. Same problem with NVidia set-up as reported by other users. (Choose nv to complete instead)
2. Gui does not detect media when using sata dvd multi drive /dev/sr0.  This worked in beta 2.1.
3. The application 'Appearance' under settings does not change anything. Previews don't change not does actual desktop.
4.-'Database Access Properties' does not launch.
   Generates this error when run in terminal...
             ken:$ gnome-database-properties-3.0
gnome-database-properties-3.0: error while loading shared libraries: libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
5.-Audio cd's do not play without a lot of fiddling.
6-Seamonkey is not a default application when you choose "open with other application" from
  thunars menu.
7-For the laptops, I like the option of having the installer set up xorg for synaptics but why can't the synaptics driver be loaded by default or at least some additional instruction saying to download from gslapt. (once it's added to repositories.)
8-Can not covert deb packages to tar gz.  deb2targz is not loaded or in repositories.
9-Open and Open containing folder does not work in "Search for Files and Folders"
10-"Vector Linux Samba Network" does not work
ken:$ /sbin/vlsmbmnt
/sbin/vlsmbmnt: line 11: /sbin/xsmb.sh: No such file or directory
/sbin/vlsmbmnt: line 9: /sbin/xsmb.sh: No such file or directory
11. as lagagon reported...libqt problem causes a number of programs not to work.

RC3, would be a good call.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 10:44:58 pm »

stretchedthin,

do you have a /var/log/packages/xf86-input-synaptics-20081107-i586-1vl60?
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 11:13:23 pm »

stretchedthin,

do you have a /var/log/packages/xf86-input-synaptics-20081107-i586-1vl60?

Yes. I do have that.  I don't have touch pad scroll however until I download and install
synaptics-20080519-i486-1pg.tgz from slacky.eu.  After that it works fine.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 07:27:38 am »

@stretchedthin:

I found that "xf86-input-synaptics-20081107-i586-1vl60" does not default to activate features like "tap to click" and "vertical edge scrolling".

Two ways of configuring touchpad:

1: Add these lines to the Touchpad Inputdevice section in xorg.conf:
   Option "VertEdgeScroll" "1"
   Option "TapButton1" "1"

2: Add this to your window manager's startup script:
    synclient VertEdgeScroll=1 TapButton1=1

To see all the available options, type "synclient -l" in a terminal.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 08:23:15 am »

Xarchiver > Action > Preferences:

It requests that "xdg-utils" gets installed.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 09:28:24 am »

Locate doesn't work for me in RC2 - I get a permission denied on the database in /var/lib/slocate

Works fine in 5.9, and I can't see what is different with the permissions....

On the subject of permissions, I can't enter /etc/rc.d as a normal user - need root access just to enter the directory.

paul.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 01:47:10 pm »

I posted my comments yesterday but they seem to have vanished into the ether before they made it to the board.

I did a hosted install, not GUI. Major problem with qt. The symlinks are aimed at the wrong place. I fixed them myself and now my Opera, Scribus, Tuxcards, etc., are working.

Root terminal from menu doesn't open anything. locate as user gives me "fatal error: Could not find user database '/var/lib/slocate/slocate.db':  Permission denied" That's the first time I've gotten that message in any VectorLinux.

Inkscape included with the ISO reports missing dependencies. I reinstalled the latest version in the repos and Inkscape now works without reporting a missing dependency. The version in the repo has the same name and number as the one installed by the ISO, or so it seems from Gslapt.

If I try to mount an NTFS drive as user (which is permitted according to my /etc/fstab), I get this:
Unprivileged user can not mount NTFS block devices using the external FUSE
library. Either mount the volume as root, or rebuild NTFS-3G with integrated
FUSE support and make it setuid root. Please see more information at
http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#unprivileged

I don't recall having that problem until RC1.

Why is XFce's default brightness set to 10 instead of 0? Does that affect only the desktop picture, or does it carry through to the whole system running under XFce?

There is still that weird message before starting XFce for the first time about adding vector.linux.net to /etc/hosts. I did and I no longer get the message, but I don't understand why we have to do this.

Lauching the CUPS option through VASMCC yields a 404. The solution is simple--add /admin or some other option to the URL--but a new user wouldn't know this. The graphics are still missing from the CUPS pages in the browser. Harmless, but looks very ugly.

I'm not fond of the blue cursor in XFce and when I click on Settings Manager, Mouse, Blue is the only choice. I'll have to research the forum messages to see how to change this. I do like the looks of the rest of XFce (at least after I make whatever changes I want).

As already mentioned, clicking on Appearance Settings Preview doesn't show any changes.

Gimp's Help is not working from inside the program.

I've done the Text Install bazillions of times and I'm quite happy with it. This time I noticed a few things that could make it easier for new users. There should be a warning that there may be what seem like long waits at various steps in the installation process. Otherwise people may think the computer has stopped responding. There should also be a note that the screen will go blank at some point and they should press Shift or Control to get it back--it's just a screensaver. People have reported thinking the computer has hung. In networking setup, it would be userful to mention that the Gateway address may be their router's IP address. I always use fixed IPs and am not stumped by any of this, but people who haven't done much with setting up a network may be unsure.

The installation was pretty fast for me--18 minutes to first reboot and everything was ready to use in 30 minutes total.

RC2 has been quite usable and it's my main desktop Vector version but some loose ends need to be fixed (especially that qt problem).
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 01:50:47 pm »

Was able to get wireless working using "wl" module without ndiswrapper. Perhaps this would've worked in the past but ndiswrapper was what I knew and had always worked without issues in 5.8 and 5.9.

I too have the qtlib issues listed above. Here's my locate libqt output (as root since locate for a user is still "broken"):
Code:
root:# locate libqt
/opt/VirtualBox-2.1.0/accessible/libqtaccessiblewidgets.so
/usr/lib/libqt-mt.so
/usr/lib/libqtmcop.la
/usr/lib/libqtmcop.so
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libqtengine.so
/usr/lib/qt-4.4.1/plugins/imageformats/libqtiff.so
/usr/lib/qt-4.4.1/plugins/imageformats/libqtiff.so.debug
/usr/lib/qt-4.4.1/plugins/codecs/libqtwcodecs.so
/usr/lib/qt-4.4.1/plugins/codecs/libqtwcodecs.so.debug
/usr/lib/qt-4.4.1/plugins/accessible/libqtaccessiblecompatwidgets.so.debug
/usr/lib/qt-4.4.1/plugins/accessible/libqtaccessiblewidgets.so
/usr/lib/qt-4.4.1/plugins/accessible/libqtaccessiblewidgets.so.debug
/usr/lib/qt-4.4.1/plugins/accessible/libqtaccessiblecompatwidgets.so
/usr/lib/qt-4.4.1/plugins/script/libqtscriptdbus.so
/usr/lib/qt-4.4.1/plugins/script/libqtscriptdbus.so.debug
/usr/lib/qt-4.4.1/plugins/designer/libqt3supportwidgets.so.debug
/usr/lib/qt-4.4.1/plugins/designer/libqt3supportwidgets.so
/usr/lib/libqtmcop.so.1
Also noted that the "quit" tasktray button has no action when changed to "lock screen".

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009, 01:53:38 pm »

@stretchedthin:

I found that "xf86-input-synaptics-20081107-i586-1vl60" does not default to activate features like "tap to click" and "vertical edge scrolling".

Two ways of configuring touchpad:

1: Add these lines to the Touchpad Inputdevice section in xorg.conf:
   Option "VertEdgeScroll" "1"
   Option "TapButton1" "1"

2: Add this to your window manager's startup script:
    synclient VertEdgeScroll=1 TapButton1=1

To see all the available options, type "synclient -l" in a terminal.
Did as directed but still no love.
VertEdgeScroll=1 and TapButton1=1 does show up when I synclient -l but still no scroll or tap.

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009, 02:03:29 pm »

I'm not fond of the blue cursor in XFce and when I click on Settings Manager, Mouse, Blue is the only choice. I'll have to research the forum messages to see how to change this. I do like the looks of the rest of XFce (at least after I make whatever changes I want).

Grin Having just gone through this (I'm not real fond of the blue mouse theme either), this is what you need to do:

Go to somewhere like xfce-look.org and pick out a mouse theme that you like (I'm using Macish, which is plain and simple, and quite small). As root, unpack the archive (using MC is easiest), placing the subdirectory in /usr/share/icons (so in my case I have /usr/share/icons/Macish). At that point, you should find an extra cursor option in mouse settings. You'll have to restart Xfce for it to take effect, but that should do it.

Also (thanks uelsk8s!), in order to get the them consistent and used by GDM during login, go to /usr/share/icons/default and edit index.theme so that the 'Inherits=' line points to your chosen mouse theme name. Works a treat....

paul.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 02:19:16 pm »

One further small annoyance, mentioned by a previous tester for RC1: gdm does not remember last person logged in, so username field is always blank on booting into X (gdm login panel). This is different from the way we had things set up in VL5.9.

To enable gdm remembering last user logged in, which will save the user a couple of seconds on each reboot of X change:

/etc/X11/gdm/custom.conf , line 219, remove the "#" and change "False" to "True".
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 02:22:23 pm by lagagnon » Logged

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: