VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 02:14:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 RC-2 feedback and bug reports  (Read 27228 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 02:58:27 pm »

Go to somewhere like xfce-look.org and pick out a mouse theme that you like (I'm using Macish, which is plain and simple, and quite small). As root, unpack the archive (using MC is easiest), placing the subdirectory in /usr/share/icons (so in my case I have /usr/share/icons/Macish). At that point, you should find an extra cursor option in mouse settings. You'll have to restart Xfce for it to take effect, but that should do it.

Also (thanks uelsk8s!), in order to get the them consistent and used by GDM during login, go to /usr/share/icons/default and edit index.theme so that the 'Inherits=' line points to your chosen mouse theme name. Works a treat....

Thanks! That was the clue I needed. I did it the easy way--copied over some mouse themes from the VL 5.9 installation on my laptop and voila--they appeared as choices in Mouse Settngs. I chose old reliable Crystalwhite, restarted XFce, and now all's right with the world.

I do a text login so don't need to bother with GDM, but I'll change the line you suggested anyway just in case I change my mind some day.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 03:07:20 pm »

To enable gdm remembering last user logged in, which will save the user a couple of seconds on each reboot of X change:
/etc/X11/gdm/custom.conf , line 219, remove the "#" and change "False" to "True".
That line 219 is a comment line on my gware install and I went through the whole file without finding any likely setting. Googling didn't help either. Can you post the actual setting that you changed?

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
thecdn

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 03:31:50 pm »

The symlinks are aimed at the wrong place. I fixed them myself and now my Opera, Scribus, Tuxcards, etc., are working.

What does fixing this entail?
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 04:36:20 pm »

To enable gdm remembering last user logged in, which will save the user a couple of seconds on each reboot of X change:
/etc/X11/gdm/custom.conf , line 219, remove the "#" and change "False" to "True".
That line 219 is a comment line on my gware install and I went through the whole file without finding any likely setting. Googling didn't help either. Can you post the actual setting that you changed?

DisplayLastLogin=true
Kosh

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 05:03:59 pm »

2. Gui does not detect media when using sata dvd multi drive /dev/sr0.  This worked in beta 2.1.
I have the same problem in RC1 and in RC2

Motherboard Gigabyte G31M-S2L, chipset intel G31/ICH7
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo
Video Card :ATI Radeon HD4650 (RV730)
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS40 (SATA)
HD SATA Samsung 753LJ
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 10:49:55 pm »

We the developers are very confused we cannot for the all the angles we have tried figure out why qt is not working for the afflicted. Please report was this a text install or a gui install so we can nail this down. We really have not spent any time with the text installer due to our commitment to gui at this point. So if thats where it stems from then we need to revisit that. Feedback is very important !!!

thank you,
Vec
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2009, 11:39:44 pm »

The libqt problem does happen in a text-based installation.  GUI installer still doesn't work on my old Toshiba so I had no alternative.  So, yeah, you probably do need to revisit the text-based installer.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2009, 12:10:17 am »

Installed rc2 on the Toshiba Satellite 1805-S204:
1GHz Celeron processor, 512MB RAM, onboard Trident CyberBlade XPA video chipset, 20GB HDD...

The good:

1>  vxconf correctly configured my laptop video.  I've complained about it not doing that since at least VL 5.1.  You finally fixed it.  Fantastic!

2> xmms has an icon now

3> toshiba and toshiba_acpi modules correctly loaded as modules automagically

4> correctly detected and configured both wired and wireless NICs

5> gdm hang problem appears to be fixed.  I can tool around the menus all I want before logging in.

The not so good:

1:  GUI installer>  After it says it correctly configured X it goes to a black screen and dies.  Nothing will let me break out of the GUI installer short of powering down.

2:  Text installer>  Still no ability to configure the network.  System is vector.linux.net whether I like it or not.

3:  Text installer>  No JFS support.  xfs works fine.

4:  gdm/Xfce>  The tumbling 3D hourglass looks cool but it slows everything way down on my aged system.  I looked at top and it appears two instances of convert (from ImageMagick) are consuming >9% of CPU.  Skip the bling, please.  This isn't Ubuntu.  Give us a nice, fast system and make the bling optional.

5:  libqt issue>  Yep, I have it too, after a text-based install.

6:  reboot>  Still doesn't work on this laptop.  This is the only place I wish VL was more like Ubuntu.  Basically it goes through stopping everything, blanks the screen, but never powers down.  Shutdown works fine.

7: localization>  Default terminal font is Liberation Mono.  That's fine if your default language uses Latin glyphs.  There's a reason most distro default to latcyrheb.  It's not the prettiest font but it supports Latin, Cyrillic, and Hebraic glyps correctly.  That isn't even installed by default on VL6.  It should be.

8: localization>  Let's say I was Japanese or an Arab or Thai or Indian.  I see gdm, I select my language at first boot, I log in, and...  I can't even imagine what that would look like.  Boxes instead of characters, maybe?  I know adding common int'l fonts would force you to drop an app but it may be worth considering.

9: localization>  k3b upgraded to 1.0.5 but k3b-i18n still at 1.0.4.  Needs to be updated.

10: ripperX>  Same complaint as before.  Package needs .desktop file fixed.

I'll post more as I find things.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2009, 12:13:17 am »

Forgot to mention some more text installer issues:

800x480 is for 7" screens, not 8"
1000x600 is for 8.9" screens, not 8" and applies only to Via UniChrome
1024x600 is the more common resolution for 8.9" screens and it's not offered.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2009, 12:20:29 am »

Yes, the problem happened after my text install of RC2. I've had trouble booting a home-burned installation CD on this computer, so I've had to do hosted installs (which I like very much, by the way).

The problem is related to symlinks, I think. Stuff seems to be looking for qt at /usr/lib/qt but that directory is almost empty. The qt files are actually in /usr/lib/qt-3.3 8b. It might work to move polymer.so to /usr/lib/qt-3.3.8b/plugins/styles and then replace /usr/lib/qt with a symlink to /usr/lib/qt-3.3.8b. I notice that on my VL 5.9 Standard /usr/lib/qt is a symlink to /usr/lib/qt-3.3.8. I don't know whether I did that or it came that way with installation.

The question still remains as to why it happens with a text installation but not a GUI installation.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2009, 12:36:37 am »

Just to repeat
I made a text installation and have the problems with the libraries as already reported.

What struck me that after installation I had an instant Internet connection w/o me
having done anything with vector.linux.net as host name and my correct inet address.
Don't know  what that will do if I install mailx and send mail with it.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2009, 02:34:32 am »

OK. My first report for VL6 STD RC2:

Bugs
===

1) major libqt problem affects all the following applications: opera, gambas2, inkscape, vl-hot-config, wpa-gui, vcpufreq. It seems to me that the libqt directories are misplaced and misnamed; do a "locate libqt" and you will see what I mean.

Checked these apps in a system where I was able to do a gui install and only inkscape does not work.  All others mentioned above work fine when installed via gui.

Even Inkscape works fine, once 'gc' is downloaded and installed from gslapt.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
thecdn

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2009, 06:02:08 am »

I too did a text based install and have the qt problems. I tried the gui install, which worked better with this rc than previous ones, but it always blew up trying to install grub to my root partition. That's where I want grub so I tried the text install and it worked (I thought) perfectly.
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2009, 09:40:07 am »

I did a full gui install on my main box and everything except root terminal and inkscape work for me.

I did a text install on my IBM TP600 as the gui installer fails with kernel panic. I had the qt lib issues on this box although it was a selective install with apps such as Gimp, Scribus, Ati & Nvidia drivers and HP not installed, there may have been others but I can't remember the detail. VL6.0 RC2 does not work too well on this machine with icons not always being redrawn after a window drag and the close, resize and iconify buttons are missing from windows. To be honest RC2 is just to heavy for this machine so I have switched to VL6.0 B1 light which is working extremely well.

Chris
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2009, 09:48:28 am »

One thing I forgot to mention is that the Ralink firmware is not included in the /lib/firmware directory as posted by Tigerwolf in the RC1 thread. I have just purchased a ralink based usb wifi as these appear to be a popular choice for linux in the UK. Thanks to Tigerwolfs post as I was able to copy the RT73 firmware from my mythbuntu based media pc to get my wifi working after spending the previous evening without much joy. So a big thanks to Tigerwolf for posting this.

Actually it was two things I forgot.....the second is that I selected Static IP during gui install however Wicd connected using DHCP so I connected with the wrong ip. I solved this by disabling Wicd from xfce autostart and removing the deamon from services using vasm.

Chris
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 10:00:26 am by sparkyhall » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: