VectorLinux
August 01, 2014, 05:36:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gnome Desktop on VL 5.9  (Read 2292 times)
wahfun

« on: January 08, 2009, 04:37:56 am »

I have been using VL 5.9 for a few weeks now and love it but I am not so fond of xfce. I would like to take a look at the gnome desktop. I have installed all the gnome files from the repository but don't see anyway to boot into the gnome desktop. Can someone help?

Thx
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 08:11:20 am »

Try this open a console and type xwmconfig

Please only post the question once. Thks.

Bigpaws
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 12:06:07 am »

GNOME was NEVER packaged for VL 5.9.  A lot of the GNOME libraries were packaged as dependencies for other applications but you simply don't have the actual desktop in the repo.  That's why it doesn't work.  It is highly unlikely that GNOME will ever be packaged for VL 5.9 now that VL 6.0 is almost ready for release.

GNOME 2.22 has been packaged for VL 6.0.  My advice would be to upgrade your system either to VL 6.0rc2 or else live with Xfce for just a little bit longer and upgrade once the final release of VL 6.0 is ready.  There are still some bugs in rc2 as you'd expect.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 08:12:40 am »

wahfun:

I have VL 5.9 + GWARE on one machine.  If you don't already know, GWARE is one of the versions of GNOME for Slackware out there.  If this were 6 months ago, and you really, really wanted to have GNOME for Vector Linux, I would have recommended GWARE.  As things are now, I would back caitlyn's recommendation and say wait for VL 6.0, which has GNOME packages that are specific to Vector Linux.

If you do decide to install GWARE on VL 5.9, they have instructions on their website.  You may experience problems.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
wahfun

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 12:27:52 pm »

Thanks to all who replied. Since I am new to Linux I will wait for VL 6.  I would like to know more about customizing the desktop. Specifically, I would like to know how to manually add or remove individual icons. I know about allowing xfce to control the desktop but I don't particularly like that.

At any rate, I will continue my quest to learn more about Linux and VL in particular. Of all the distros I have tried, it seems to perform the best on my machine.

Thx,
Wah Fun
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 02:31:03 pm »

Thanks to all who replied. Since I am new to Linux I will wait for VL 6.  I would like to know more about customizing the desktop. Specifically, I would like to know how to manually add or remove individual icons. I know about allowing xfce to control the desktop but I don't particularly like that.

At any rate, I will continue my quest to learn more about Linux and VL in particular. Of all the distros I have tried, it seems to perform the best on my machine.

I love XFce and would not consider using anything else. But to each his/her own. To remove an icon, right-click on it and select Delete. There are some icons you can't delete (Trash, File System, Home come to mind). The others can be deleted as I said. To add a desktop icon, right-click on an existing icon, then on Desktop, then on Create Launcher. Fill in the boxes. If you don't know what command launches an application, open a terminal and type
which applicationname
and see what comes up. Or look in /var/log/packages or in /usr/share/applications, which has entries for everything that is listed in the Desktop Menu. The line that starts with Exec tells the command that starts the program.

You have lots of options for starting applications in XFce. You can put launcher icons on the desktop (my least favorite way). You can right-click on the desktop and the Desktop menu comes up--the same menu as you get at the far left of the Panel (like the Windows Taskbar). You can start from a terminal command line. What I do is create Launchers in the Panel under which I include applications of similar types, such as browsers behind one icon, graphics apps behind another icon, file managers behind another icon, etc. You do this by right-clicking on an existing Panel icon and select Properties if you want to add more applications behind that icon. When you do, you get a small up arrow to the right of the icon that reveals what else is there, as there is behind the VASMCC icon when VL is first installed. You can add new icons and launchers to the Panel by right-clicking on an existing Panel icon and selecting Add New Item, then Launcher. Then you just fill in the blanks.

You can put the panel on the top, bottom or either side of the screen. If you go through Desktop Menu, Settings, Settings Manager, you'll get some sense of what is available.

What don't you like about letting XFce manage the desktop? It may be changeable.

If you're noticing a big performance difference between VL and other Linux distros, I wonder if your hardware is a bit behind the times (nothing to be ashamed of). On current hardware the difference isn't that noticeable. As hardware gets older, the difference can be dramatic. If your hardware is older, you probably don't want to use Gnome, which is pretty demanding of computer power.

You could go ahead and install VL6 RC2 now, but be aware that you'll probably be installing VL6 again when it goes Final.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 05:20:17 am »

To add to granny's post, the files in /usr/share/applications call the application (these are .desktop files), but also list the icon that will appear in the menu. Most of the icons are in /usr/share/pixmaps.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 07:57:08 am »

...and those icons not in /usr/share/pixmaps are in various folders under /usr/share/icons.

If you ever decide to run KDE you'll find that the .desktop files go into a different place as well.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: