VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 12:54:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Burning CDs using K3b that will work in a Windows box  (Read 3337 times)
w2gnd

« on: January 08, 2009, 09:17:13 am »

Hi,

I have 5.9 Standard Gold running on a Dell Dimension 4100 with an HP CD writer 9700.  When I burn a cd that was done using K3B , I don't have any problems accessing the files stored in the folders when using Vector 5.9 Standard.  However, when I burn a CD for a Windows based operating system, it can't read the contents of the folder (using Windows) in which the needed file resides.  (Cause Linux uses a different filing system than Windows?)..

The only way it seems to work is if I burn the files directly without the use of folders. 

I've been to the K3b website and did a search on this forum but came up empty.

Any ideas,

Bob
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 09:53:17 am »

Something wrong there because the way I understand it the filesystem on a CD (if you burn the data as "data" not as an "ISO image") is an ISO9660 filesystem, readable by any OS that reads CD's (all OS's therefore). I have not had any problems reading data CD's under Windows which were burnt in VL using k3b.

Perhaps you can tell us exactly how you did the burn process?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Sengir

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 10:53:58 am »

The only thing I can think of in this regard is when you burn the data cd, there's a tab with 'Filesystem', where you can pick 'Linux/Unix only', 'Linux/Unix + Windows', and some other options. Can you check whether 'Linux/Unix +Windows' is selected? Otherwise I have no clue at all.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 12:17:58 pm »

The only thing I can think of in this regard is when you burn the data cd, there's a tab with 'Filesystem', where you can pick 'Linux/Unix only', 'Linux/Unix + Windows', and some other options. Can you check whether 'Linux/Unix +Windows' is selected? Otherwise I have no clue at all.

This is what I was thinking as well.
You don't really need to change those if you stick with the default settings, that CD should be readable cross platform (all OS).

What I do is simply drag-n-drop my files and folders down into the iso (icon, lower section on the left hand side), rather than drag them down into the lower right hand side. This prevents me from accidentally putting a folder inside of another. I then right click on the iso icon and rename it to whatever (default usually says something like "K3B-Project"). Then I click the burn, and go from there, without changing anything else.
I have had no problems viewing the files or folders on any Windows system, using this method.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 03:00:05 pm »

Sounds like sengir is on to something.  I would certainly start there.

The only other option that comes to mind is whether or not the session/disc is closed. For maximum compatibility, close all sessions and close the disc when you're done burning to it.

HTH!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: