VectorLinux
August 27, 2014, 10:58:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Poll
Question: How do you Startup the GUI PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeese
GUI Help - 0 (0%)
Pleeeese help - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Help Me  (Read 1160 times)
sniperbrown123456

« on: January 15, 2009, 12:50:59 am »

I just got done installing vector linux on my system & I'm lost confused and frustrated. I'm stuck at a command Prompt I signed in and now all it shows is my username inside of the command prompt line such as [root@vector]. I'm trying to start up the graphical user interface like how it shows on the internet I've tried the command "startx" With no luck and now I'm lost and have no where to turn if anyone would know or would please help me out before I just say fuck it then I'd really appreciate it so PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE HELP ME
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 12:56:51 am »

With some more information we can help you help yourself.

How about telling us what version of Vector Linux you installed?
What kind of computer is it on?
Did you get any error messages during install?

It also helps to keep your posts clean and factual. And, it is enough to post your question once.
sniperbrown123456

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 01:32:44 am »

version 5.1
I have it installed on a computer thats hooked up to a 46 inch screen and when i use vasm and configure the X GUI setting then if I manually select a a resolution it gives me a error message but if I sett to where X will choose the right setting then my screen says unsupported mode when I run startx, so i'm goping through the manual to try to find how i can adjust the resolution or something I'm looking at "man xorg.config"
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 05:33:04 am »

Try to add the resolution you want in the Modes line near the end of /etc/X11/xorg.conf (as root).
If startx still doesn't work, post the error messages here.

(Is this a laptop? Things will be different if you have two screens.)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 07:10:53 am »

5.1 is getting old by now. 6.0 is almost ready for release. 5.9 is very mature and has the best stocked repo. I recommend going with a newer version.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: