VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 06:34:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How To Install a Package without Network Connection?  (Read 1994 times)
zaurus

« on: January 10, 2009, 02:29:19 am »

Hi!

How can I install a package with slapt-get or others if I don't have a network connection? I can download the *.tlz on another PC and then put it on a USB-Stick and transfer the file to the PC.

I tried installpkg, but it didn't work. It reports it needs a *.tgz and not *.tlz.

What's the proper way to do it.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Zaurus
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 03:36:51 am »

just try installpkg xxx.tlz as root...

maybe u care post how u type the command....
zaurus

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 06:39:50 am »

I was using VL SOHO 5.0.1 and was logged in as root. In the terminal I was typing:

installpkg /root/abc.tlz

But there is an error that the package doesn't have a tgz. This might be due to the old version of VL on that PC. Some time ago I tried to install 5.1.1 and 5.8, but both couldn't be installed. Somehow that old PC doesn't like the 2.6.x kernel.

Anyway I managed to solve my problem in a different way without installing the package. I only needed some ppd-file for a newer printer and managed to extract it from the package manually.

Thanks for your help.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 08:32:47 am »

I believe that was based on Slackware 11.0. That version of
Vector was using .tgz packages not .tlz. You can check by looking at
/etc/vector-version.

You can get some packages here:

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/attic/veclinux-5.0/

You can also look at Slackbuilds.org.

To make sure that the security patches are up to date for the packages Vector used from Slackware
they are here:

http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-11.0/patches/

HTH

Bigpaws
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 08:49:36 am by bigpaws » Logged
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 12:11:54 pm »

That was based on Slackware 10.  Slackware 11 was the basis for VL 5.8.

Anyway, if you try to install a newer version of VL (say VL 6.0 Light) please post the errors you receive in the installation section of the forum.  I have yet to run into a piece of old hardware that can't handle a 2.6 kernel.  You may have described the problem accurately or there may actually be a work around that we can help with.  We won't know until we see what errors you receive.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
zaurus

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 10:44:28 pm »

Hi Caitlyn!

Testing VL6 on that machine is a bit difficult. That is my old PC which I passed to my mum and she lives about 6000 miles away from me. She is quite happy with it and can do what she needs to do, which is not much. Maybe less than 5 emails per month, surfing internet less than 4 hours per month, downloading some pics from the digicam and email to me. Her old printer died and I asked her to buy a HP as they are good supported under Linux, but so far I'm having some problems to get that printer running. I simulated it here on my PC with VL 5.0.1 install and it worked, but back home the printer still stays quiet. I can post that in another thread.

If I have a chance to go back home this year, then I will try to upgrade the system. It's a P3 with 384MB RAM, so it should be fine for VL6.

If I remember correct in VL 5.1 there was a choice to use 2.4 or 2.6 kernel. I could install with 2.6, but the machine was horribly slow as something was grabbing like 98% CPU. I disabled all services, but still the same. As I didn't had much time and no broadband connection, I just used the VL 5.0.1 which runs smooth without any problems.

I personally also still run a partition with VL 5.0.1 as this was the last version with support for GnuCash. I'm running a 1 person business and do all my accounting with GnuCash. As VL 6 is having a GnuCash package I will try that as soon as I have closed my accounts for 2008. Then can start 2009 with VL 6 and new GnuCash.  Grin

Thanks for the great support in this forum and all the efforts in making VL.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 10:52:30 pm »

A P3 with 384MB of RAM shouldn't be that slow, particularly with VL 5.9 or 6.0 Light.  Heck, I have Light shoehorned onto an old Toshiba Libretto SS1010, Pentium 233MMX with 64MB of RAM.  If you choose lightweight apps and use JWM for the desktop it actually runs reasonably well.

Thanks for the reminder that I need to document and publish that Libretto install procedure Smiley

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
zaurus

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 11:13:23 pm »

It just comes to my mind that my 'accounting PC' is a Celeron 666MHz with 256MB and it runs VL SOHO 5.1.1 reasonable well. Will try that with VL 6 soon.

I'm also having a Pentium 233MHz MMX with 64MB RAM, but I decided to put Puppy Linux on it and it can be used. Well if you are used to a Dual-Core and then use it you are disappointed, but just doing some email or simple web browsing without flash & videos it's ok.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: