VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 02:18:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: vector 6.0-RC2 std  (Read 1041 times)
ElZorro

« on: January 11, 2009, 04:03:44 am »

Hi,
  rc2 is not quite  as cranky as rc1. but I have not achieved printing in XFCE, very obtuse or not at all, despite cups being there.
The installer is improving.
I attempted to install KDE but the NUKE login indicated what happened.
KDE appears to be a work in progess too and kcontol was nuked with no menus.
Oh well back to Slackware 12.2, it is looking friendlier with its no nonsense KDE desktop
and its kiss philososophy.
Best
El Zorro
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 08:17:52 am »

I attempted to install KDE but the NUKE login indicated what happened.
KDE appears to be a work in progess too and kcontol was nuked with no menus.

VectorLinux Standard Edition has always used a lighterweight window manager and desktop environment, rather than KDE or Gnome. If you want KDE you should load VL5.9 SOHO or await VL6.0 SOHO which comes complete with KDE. The philosophy behind VL Standard Editions is to have a slightly less resource intensive distro than a KDE one.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 10:11:07 am »

First, you are judging a distro (Vector Linux) by development/beta code.  You can't judge it fairly until the final release.

Second, printing is obtuse?  It's been flawless for me.  Why don't you post in the appropriate area the problem you're having.  I'm sure someone could give you simple step-by-step directions that would get printing working for you.  Just because you're not familiar with something doesn't make it "obtuse".

If you're here to get help there are lots of friendly people who will help you.  If you're here to throw stones, well... I just don't see the point.  I've never seen Slackware as user friendly, particularly compared to Vector Linux.  However, anything you are personally familiar with will always seem more friendly to you.

When you are willing to give VL a fair test feel free to come back and post again.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: