VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 11:04:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is VL a good fit for this laptop?  (Read 2403 times)
mikemunsil

« on: January 11, 2009, 08:04:24 am »

Will VL work well on this laptop? Specifications follow:

Sony VAIO PCG-505TS 300 MHz Pentium MMX Laptop

Processor Type      Pentium MMX
Processor Speed    300 MHz
Bus Speed       66 MHz
Level 2 Cache       512 KB
Maximum Cache Supported   256 KB
MotherBoard Chipset    Intel 815EM
Hard Drive Capacity    4.3 GB
Hard Drive Interface    IDE / EIDE
Hard Drive Type    Portable
Memory Card Slot    Memory Stick
Installed Memory    64 MB
RAM Type       SDRAM
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 08:13:46 am »

VL-Light only. Especially with only 64MB of RAM, and your experience will be slow. The X graphical environment really needs 128MB, but try it with 64MB and tell us how it goes.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 08:16:27 am »

If you can boost the Ram to 128 you will get a much better experience.
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 10:06:32 am »

I'm using VL6.0 light B1 on an IBM TP600 (Pentium 2 300MHz and 66MHz FSB) I do have more memory then you though. I also found VL5.9 light ran rather well on this box so I would give either ago.

Chris
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 01:10:32 pm by sparkyhall » Logged
mikemunsil

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 07:37:12 am »

Thanks, all! I did once install Mandrake 8.0 on this laptop and it ran well, but I assume the current X windows system requires more memory than before.

I'll post the results. Have to replace teh CMOS battery first. Since I'm in there it might be worth adding more memory anyway.
EyesOnly

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 12:55:18 pm »

Others might disagree with me Mike, but if you could try and set aside perhaps that 300megs out of the 4.3gig drive for a Linuxswap as well as adding to the RAM to make it 128megs---I believe then you'll notice and even better performance, especially if you should use a Gecko-based browser in either the VL-5.9 or 6.0 Light as they can sometimes be a little "RAM/CPU-intensive". (Might be best to stick with Opera if in the particular install, or grab it from GSlapt?)

But of course all this is just my own humble opinion. Wink I run VL-5.9 Light on my 3.2gig PIV so it screams---and needless to say I love it! Has everything I need and more.

Welcome to VectorLinux Mike and hope to see you posting more. Keep us apprised, will you?

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
mikemunsil

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 01:07:23 pm »

Hmm.

The system booted up on the 5.9 Light CD, but when I tried to install it told me it could not find the CD.  I seem to remember that ithe same issue was a real pain in the butt when I installed Mandrake, for that same reason.  I do still have the boot floppy that I made, MANY years ago. Maybe if I boot up on that instead and then try to install? 

Quien sabe...
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 04:25:04 pm »

The system booted up on the 5.9 Light CD, but when I tried to install it told me it could not find the CD. 

I have seen that problem on some older machines on which I installed VL and to be honest cannot remember the solution but it is either all of or one of the following:

1) bad burn (reburn the CD, checking md5sum before and after)
2) faulty CDROM drive (you might fix this with a CDROM drive firmware upgrade flash)
3) faulty or incorrect parameters in your BIOS. Check the setup, boot order, CDROM drive parameters. Even try reflashing BIOS to a newer version.
4) corrupt MBR on the hard drive. You could wipe this with "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1"

Good luck.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 07:12:48 pm »

It is possible that the cd-rom drive is not recognized by the kernel. I had a similar problem on a Toshiba. Here is a possible workaround:

Download and burn a Live type of CD, for example this one: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9-Light-LIVE-B1.iso

Boot from this disc. With 64 MB of ram you probably need to boot to command line only.

Use the available tools to partition and prepare your disk. Create a separate FAT partition with room for the ISO file for your install. Transfer the image file to this partition over the network, from a USB stick, or other medium.

Install DOS on the boot partition, or boot from a W9X cd-rom and use this procedure: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl59/manuals/vl5_installation_guide_en.html#iso_win

Or, if you're lucky, the install script on the Live CD itself may work.  Wink
mikemunsil

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 06:47:14 am »

You guys are amazingly helpful. I appreciate all these responses. I will keep you updated.

Thanks again.

Mike
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 02:36:54 pm »

I have a Toshiba Libretto SS1010, Pentium 233MHz MMX processor, 64MB of RAM

VL Light v6.0 Beta 1 is running surprisingly well on this laptop.  I use jwm for my desktop environment and I stick with lightweight apps (i.e. HV3 or Dillo for browsing, not Opera), SIAG for office apps, etc...  If you do that it isn't all that slow.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video
VL 7.0 Light
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 01:22:17 am »

I echo Caitlyn's comments. My IBM TP240 (Celeron 400/320mb RAM) runs 6.0B2 better than it ran 5.9 Light. I use LXDE as the desktop and Opera as the browser..... Runs Abiword and Gnumeric acceptably fast.

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 01:26:32 am »

@never_stop_learning:  I seriously doubt LXDE or Opera would run "acceptably fast" in the 64MB of RAM this thread is about.  AbiWord and Gnumeric would be tolerable at best but PW and SIAG are way faster and smaller if you have very little RAM.  Going to the 320MB you have is a whole different world.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video
VL 7.0 Light
mikemunsil

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 08:17:12 am »

Have tried everything, still no luck. Will try again.  I DID get this laptop to run on Mandrake at one time, so there IS a means to get it to recognize the CD, somehow.  Just don't have my old notes (thanks, Ike!)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 04:51:22 pm »

I do still have the boot floppy

VL6 Light has images for boot/install floppies included in the ISO. You need five of them. Worth a try.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: