VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 08:18:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: nvidia driver install  (Read 4099 times)
sgla1

« on: January 11, 2009, 12:12:25 pm »

Hi all,

I just came back to vector linux after using the brown distro for some time.  I am using:
$ cat /etc/vector-version
6.0 Standard RC1 built on Dec-21-08
with full on-line updates, so it should actually be RC2, right?  In any case great job.

I have the following video card in a Lenovo t61p thinkpad:
 lspci | grep -i vga
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Quadro FX 570M (rev a1)

I have tried to use vasm > x setup > expert to install the latest nvidia drivers but it appears nothing happens.  xorg.conf shows I am still using the nv driver I selected during the initial install.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance :-) 
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 01:46:59 pm »

I just came back to vector linux after using the brown distro for some time.  I am using:
$ cat /etc/vector-version
6.0 Standard RC1 built on Dec-21-08
with full on-line updates, so it should actually be RC2, right?  In any case great job.

No, you are still using RC1. Online updates update only certain files, and there are some significant changes internally in RC2. VectorLinux has never had a way to update the version of the distro itself. You have to install the newer version to replace the older version.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the NVidia driver and your controller.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
sgla1

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 04:51:08 pm »

Ok, thanks for the info.  Next question:

This is my work computer (I'm actually a Unix admin--imagine?) and I need the thing to work, including touchpad configuration, working wifi, vpnc, so on.  Nvidia drivers would be nice--I don't need the effects but performance with the nv driver is rather slow.

I do like lightweight desktops like LXDE a lot, but I need something that just_works.  What would you suggest--5.9 standard, 5.9 soho, 6.0 rc2?

Thanks,
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 05:03:58 pm »

I think you need this driver http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/kernels/vlnvidia-173.14.12-x86-1vl60.tlz
install it then run vxconf to set it up
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: