VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 08:37:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 6.0 RC4 issue  (Read 866 times)
Ewald

« on: February 19, 2009, 01:02:35 am »

tried to install RC4 on a 800mHz Athlon machine with 512mB Ram. Everything went fine until the very end, when being asked to restart the system. Screen gets messed up and Computer remaind frozen. Upon powering down and restarting the boot goes multiuser, gives me a "setting up message bus FAILED" and hangs at setting up hald position. I reproduced this behaviour twice. I am not Linux savvy enough to troubleshoot myself.
I like VL a lot, have been using 5.9 but it doesn't support my WLAN card. I was hoping that 6.0 would.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 12:01:52 pm »

This report belongs in the RC4 bug report thread in the Distro Development section of the forum.  Please add it there so that the developers can see it.

Please also remember that this is testing code.  A release candidate is a late beta, not a final release.  A lot of things have been fixed since rc4.  It is very possible that this issue is corrected in rc4.13.  The only way to get a reponse from the devs in any case is to repost in the bug thread.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Ewald

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 01:04:21 am »

Thanks for the information. You see, I am relatively new here but try to get the hang of it. As I said, I like VL very much but am still at the bottom of the learning curve as far as the software itself and obviously the community rules are concerned. I will post the very same message in the RC4 bug report thread.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 05:26:05 am »

No problem.  The post wasn't meant as criticism of you.  It was meant to get you an appropriate response Smiley  Also, if we're dealing with a bug rather than just an issue on your system the developers need to know about it in order to get it fixed.

The second half was a general reminder, not just for you but for anyone reading the thread, the release candidates are test code and that problems are to be expected.  I generally recommend people who are new to Linux in general or Vector Linux in particular wait for the final release unless you really want to testing as part of the learning process.  Doing testing early on does make the learning curve that much steeper.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: