VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 07:16:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: /boot partition  (Read 2366 times)
sgla1

« on: January 12, 2009, 10:47:58 pm »

Hi all,

When installing Vector Linux I don't see where either the graphical or text installer allows you to mount and use a separate /boot partition.  Have I missed something, or is there a design reason for this?

Thanks,
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 06:26:38 pm »

Do you mean a bootable partition that the computer will boot VL off of? If not, please explain.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 06:48:17 pm »

You have not missed something. There is no option for that.
Many moons ago it was decided that most of the Vector users
would not be interested in it.

There is a way to do so. You can cp your /boot partition to the other
/boot partition and the remove the Vector /boot partition and edit
/etc.fstab and mount your new /boot partition.

Bigpaws
sgla1

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 10:17:13 pm »

rgr that.  Still it seems like it wouldn't take more than a few lines of code in the installer.

Perhaps you are underestimating your users -- after all, if I was a noobie I don't think I would use a slackware-based distro.  I'd use that brown distro because of apt, the high level of integration and the vast library of packages, and because I could probably find other users to help me out.  I think you need to have some level of Linux sophistication to use VL.

Thanks,
Steve G
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 01:22:58 am »

Hi, Steve,

Most distros no longer offer a separate /boot partition.  The need for that in Linux disappeared a long time ago.

FWIW, I don't think Vector Linux is any harder to use than Ubuntu.  No sophistication is required, especially for VL 6.0.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
sgla1

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 10:06:16 pm »

Just as a point of interest I happen to work for a very_large_web_company.  As a Unix admin.  We manage close to 2000 Linux boxes, half of which are public-facing.  We do use a /boot partition, and we do not mount it in normal use.  That prevents the monkeys (some of whom work for us) from messing up critical files and adds a degree of security.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: