VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 06:16:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 RC-3 feedback and bug reports  (Read 39966 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: January 13, 2009, 09:05:57 pm »

Yep, you read it right RC3!

Please test this one hard, and let us know if we missed anything.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 02:29:02 am »

Numbered items are quoted from my post re: RC2
1. Same problem with NVidia set-up as reported by other users. (Choose nv to complete instead)set
      RC3--Had no problem with NVidia GeForce Go 7300/PCI/SSE2. Set up and worked perfectly.
             Sorry, have to take that back, propriatory driver did not set up.
2. Gui does not detect media when using sata dvd multi drive /dev/sr0.  This worked in beta 2.1.
      RC3--No problem with this either.  Detected media flawlessly.

3. The application 'Appearance' under settings does not change anything. Previews don't change not does actual desktop.
      RC3--Oh, now I get it! It's an application for lxde.  The name change helps easily confused people like myself.

4.-'Database Access Properties' does not launch.
      RC3--Launches no problem   

5.-Audio cd's do not play without a lot of fiddling.
      RC3-- I'll have to get back to you on this one.  My /home partition was not changed with this install so my changes to xmms preferences are still there.  Won't be able to tell until I install again on a clean /home partition.

6-Seamonkey is not a default application when you choose "open with other application" from
  thunars menu.
      RC3--This is still true, but who cares really.

7-For the laptops, I like the option of having the installer set up xorg for synaptics but why can't the synaptics driver be loaded by default or at least some additional instruction saying to download from gslapt. (once it's added to repositories.)
     RC3--Tap and Scroll are not activated by default.  Getting them going is not a simple matter for a newbie who would be hoping to see     
     them working after selecting the touchpad option in the xorg set-up.

8-Can not covert deb packages to tar gz.  deb2targz is not loaded or in repositories.
     RC3--Works like a charm.

9-Open and Open containing folder does not work in "Search for Files and Folders"
     RC3--"Search for Files and Folders", ironically, can't be found on RC3.  That's one way to make a problem disappear.
     OK, with me I liked CatFish.  Hey, maybe bring CatFish back and just call it "Search for Files and Folders" in the menu.

10-"Vector Linux Samba Network" does not work
     RC3--This may just be me as vlsmbmnt is new to me, but I get this now when I try to watch some tv from my myth box.
      ken:$ /sbin/vlsmbmnt
            Mounting [\\KENNAZ-DESKTOP\recordings] at [/home/ken/mnt/KENNAZ-DESKTOP-recordings]
            mount error: could not find target server. TCP name KENNAZ-DESKTOP/recordings not found
            No ip address specified and hostname not found

11. as lagagon reported...libqt problem causes a number of programs not to work.
     RC3--Not an issue here, but I will have to do a text install to really find out.  Just happy to have been able to do a gui install on this       machine.

p.s. I'll be watching to see if the slapt-get-notifier works.  I have not seen it pop up on any of my gui installed machines. On text installed machines it seems to work fine.

This is an outstanding release and it looks like you are just about ready to stick a fork in it and call it done.
It's been fun coming along for the ride.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 12:47:46 am by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 08:32:01 am »

Install to my T42 - a couple of minor glitches. First, the 'check installation files' option still does nothing. Second, I used the arrows on the installer a couple of times, to widen the main install window. After doing so a couple of times, I couldn't get back to the split screen view.

After the RC1 install, the slapt-get notifier was working. After installing RC3, there is no sign of it starting.

Smiley Nice to see my mouse theme of choice (Macish) included.

Install to my test box (PIII 1.2 GHz, 512MB, Elsa Synergy AGP) went through without problems. For some reason, the bootsplash doesn't work completely on that machine - it puts up the outer frrame, but goes into verbose mode.

The gslpt notifier works on that install, even though it doesn't on the T42. However, the notifier is still using kdesu, not gksu.

I'm also having X problems on that machine (which I didn't have with the last install - RC1). I'm getting an offset to the right. Attempting to use xvidtune to correct it doesn't work - X doesn't seem to like the modeline generated by xvidtune. Is there another tool that can be used to fix a screen offset?

Otherwise, everything I've tried so far is working. More later, especially if I can get X working properly on the test box.

paul.
Kosh

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 08:37:58 am »

Compared to previous RC1 & RC2 bugs:
-1.-GUI installer said "installation media not found" but installation works in text mode
Now GUI installer it's working. No more problem with my SATA DVD /dev/sr0 

3.-Problems with X configuration, perhaps because of a quite new Radeon, of course VESA mode works (1024*768, not a good resolution in my widescreen 1440*900 LCD), but "radeon" driver doesn't work , same problem with "ati" driver and with propietary ati driver
Solved!. Card  (ATI HD4650) works OK with ATI propietary driver. Perhaps has been updated?

I'll check other issues and report here

Thanks for the update
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 08:40:20 am by Kosh » Logged

Motherboard Gigabyte G31M-S2L, chipset intel G31/ICH7
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo
Video Card :ATI Radeon HD4650 (RV730)
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS40 (SATA)
HD SATA Samsung 753LJ
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 08:53:24 am »

Seems to be a problem with Python. Trying to run PySol (which I've become somewhat addicted to recently) fails. Error as below:

Code:
fang20:$ pysol.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/pysol.py", line 26, in <module>
    init()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pysollib/init.py", line 117, in init
    import Tkinter
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 38, in <module>
    import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
ImportError: libtk8.4.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Permissions on /etc/rc.d are still set so as not to allow a normal user to enter the directory. That is a recent change - prior to RC1 a normal user could enter the directory and read the files.

More later...

paul.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 08:58:43 am by toothandnail » Logged
Kosh

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 12:08:25 pm »

More info I forgot to add:
-GUI installation exit with an error in "Network Configuration" step: a window error open with the message:
"This application has raised and unexpexted error and must abort
[-1] bad index
FrmNetConf?0
"

But apart from that installation seems to be OK and systems works after first boot

I had sound issues in RC2 (I forgot to tell that in RC2 thread) but seems solved in RC3 (sound modules updated perhaps?)

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo
HD SATA Samsung 753LJ
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 03:39:08 pm »

Follow up for my 1st post on this thread...

1. CD audio still needs a little tweaking before xmms will play automatically upon cd insertion.
        I have to configure the 'CD Audio Player ~' and choose 'Digital audio extraction' from xmms preferences.
        and on my laptop with the SATA cd/dvd drive I have to change Device for 'CD Audio Player~' to /dev/sr0 from /dev/cdrom also from
        within xmms preferences.

2. I can confirm what toothandnail pointed out...that the 'Verify Installation Files' fuction is finishing too quickly for to believe it is doing anything. 

3. Just a question.  Why is "Detect and Setup Windows partitions for automounting at boot" so far down (easy to miss)IMHO.

4. I error out when trying to set up a windows dual boot. Tried 3 times. 2x gui install. 1x text install. I've attached a picture of the error message.  If it's something I'm doing I sure would be glad if someone could help me out.
       --update.  From the terminal I used liloconfig and I received the same error, however when I used vliloconf I was able to finally set-up my machine as dual boot with windows. Happy day.

5. Can confirm Pysol not working as posted earlier by toothandnail.

6. GKrellm installs but does not have a menu entry.

7. If you choose 'clock' and add it to the panel. It is invisible.

8. Openbox appears as a session choice, but does not appear as if any development has been done on it for VL6.0.  Maybe it's just there because LXDE is based off of it, but if it is going to show up as a session choice it might as well have the right menu entries and all it's expected functions.

9. A) Vpackager generates will generate a .tlz file for me but if I choose to save it, it say that it will and gives me the file where it's saving it to but after I hit OK, I go to the file and nothing is there.
   B) If I choose to install the file from vpackager instead of saving I get an error.  (2nd pic included.)
       On another machine vpackager ran right through no error but nothing was installed.  On both machines I was able to successfully, ./configure, make, and make install the package.  (WxCam 1.03 if your curious)

10. Had the same trouble as an KOSH during the net configuration portion of gui install on one machine only.  As he posted it halted the gui and the computer had to be restarted but the rest of the install went fine from there. (3rd picture.)

11. Not really a problem but a request.  Is there anyway GQview could be set-up to fit pictures to the window by default, it currently defaults to showing original size and with todays high megapixel cameras, thats just silly.  Yes, I know how to change it, but I still think it's counter intuitive that original size is default.

12. VL-hot-config does not launch.  There does not seem to be a vl-hot.config.gambas in /sbin

13. This has always bugged me, in the VLFreeMem application could the window box be stretch out so that the columns do not overlap each other.  Nice little VL app, but poor appearance.

14. rpm2targz is included with the install.  What are the chances of having a 'Convert .rpm to tar.gz' selection  in the Thunar custom actions just as .deb does.  I just installed skype this way.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:56:06 pm by stretchedthin » Logged

Kosh

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 03:52:25 pm »

(...)
2. I can confirm what toothandnail pointed out...that the 'Verify Installation Files' fuction is finishing too quickly for to believe it is doing anything. 
Same issue in my installation. I forgot to write that in my previous post

10. Had the same trouble as an KOSH during the net configuration portion of gui install on one machine only.  As he posted it halted the gui and the computer had to be restarted but the rest of the install went fine from there. (3rd picture.)

I wonder if could be a relationship with network-hardware. The PC where I had that problem has got no Ethernt card nor WiFi, only ADSL USB modem (PPoE/PPoA). Perhaps installed look for a ethernet/wifi card?

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo
HD SATA Samsung 753LJ
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 04:02:18 pm »

I wonder if could be a relationship with network-hardware. The PC where I had that problem has got no Ethernt card nor WiFi, only ADSL USB modem (PPoE/PPoA). Perhaps installed look for a ethernet/wifi card?

Could be I have removed my dial up modem from the system that generated the error.

Kosh

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 04:06:45 pm »

Could be I have removed my dial up modem from the system that generated the error.

Same for my PC. Perhaps installer either look for network hardware or for a DNS/DHCP/... server and hangs if not available? 

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo
HD SATA Samsung 753LJ
pevsner

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 07:17:31 pm »

Tried with the gui installer this time because it seemed a lot of problems stemmed from the text install.
Crashed during install! installing nvidia latest (i have a gf 6200), so rebooted thinking i could load nvidia driver. Ok got to xfce gui, but couldnt go to init 2(init 3 either)in terminal as root to install nvidia driver.

The fonts look great btw, perhaps it was an issue with the text installer before.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 08:37:11 pm »

nvidia package failed to install because the text installer couldn't find the package.

Just got rc3 up and going so no other testing yet...

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 09:06:11 pm »

Hosted iso installation went smooth.

Can't configure my printer, Device: 'unknown:USB' not in cups.

Pysol will not open.

Opera is huge, beyond my screen.

nvidia installed with text installer

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 09:24:23 pm »

so rebooted thinking i could load nvidia driver. Ok got to xfce gui, but couldnt go to init 2(init 3 either)in terminal as root to install nvidia driver.

Same here, couldn't get to init 2 from within gui or with safe console session so had to reboot to tui and then load nvidia which installed without issue.

Wicd network manager does nothing from the start menu and from a console gives this:
Code:
pavilion://home/mscott
root:# wicd
/var/run/wicd/wicd.pid
but of course nothing happens.

wifi works (since I started using the "right" module for this edition of VL)

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 09:57:47 pm »

I did a hosted installation (text) from another VL partition. Everything went fine. This is on the Celeron 1.3 desktop.

I boot to runlevel 2 and run startx to start XFce. So far everything is working. I was able to run qtconfig and Opera, so qt is working properly now. I use fixed IP addresses and my Internet connection worked as soon as I set up with netconfig through VASM. My nfs network also worked as soon as I set it up. Sound is working. I have a Radeon 9200 video card with which the proprietary ATI driver has not worked, so I didn't even install that driver. I use the xorg "radeon" driver and have 3D, 24 bits, and support for my 1280x1024 LCD monitor.

My two scanners work under xsane (one SCSI, one on a USB all-in-one). I didn't have a chance to install printers yet. I installed LILO on a floppy disk and it is working and also offers Windows as an option.

So far I haven't noticed any problems. Will test more tomorrow.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: