VectorLinux
September 17, 2014, 09:17:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 RC-3 feedback and bug reports  (Read 39576 times)
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2009, 07:22:47 am »

Installed RC3 on the Toshiba Satellite 1805-S204.  (I'm hoping the replacement Sylvania g Netbook shows up today so I can try it on that.)  Here are the problems I encountered:

1.  GUI installer>  Still goes to a blank, black screen after starting X.  I still can't break out of it, either.

2.  Installer>  It would be nice if the opening screen detailed the options (gui vs. linux for text) and mentioned edd=off.  I could see a newbie getting a failure like I did on the gui installer and just giving up because he or she doesn't even know the text installer exists.

3.  Reboot still doesn't work on this laptop as reported in previous bug threads.

4.  The font selection installed by default is eclectic but probably not optimal.  Look, I packaged Culmus and I think all the Hebrew and Yiddish speaking users of VL will be thrilled... but you can also probably count us on your fingers and have fingers left over.  Ethiopic X fonts are also an interesting choice since so many of the default X fonts that other distros have and people expect are missing.

5.  Firefox apparently is set for British English (OK) but has no dictionaries included by default so no spellchecking is functional in any language.  You have to install a dictionary or language pack to enable that.  Previous versions of VL included the English dictionaries and I still think that's a good idea.

Lots of things have been fixed.  I was able to correctly configure wired networking and the hostname in the installer this time.  The libqt issue is clearly solved and all apps seem to work as expected.  I saw that you've corrected the errors in the list of available screen resolutions.  The bling is gone and speed has returned to VL 6.  Sound worked correctly out of the box as did wireless.  So far this one seems almost ready for prime time.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
EyesOnly

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2009, 08:03:34 am »

Thanks pevsner for the input! It was very much appreciated my friend! Smiley Looks like when the final does arrive I've got some re-arranging to do on my drive...

Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
coffeemike2k3

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2009, 08:20:15 am »

I installed RC3 last night using text install on IBM T20 laptop (Pentium 3, 256MB).  Some problems:
1.  VLwifi setup freezes the system after entering all information (using ndiswrapper, static IP, Linksys WPC54G v2 ACX111 wireless PCMCIA card).  Cannot get out of it, even by trying alt-ctl-backspace to restart x.  After rebooting, wifi still doesnt work.  Upon retry of VLwifi for changing the settings, it gives me this:

cat: /etc/wifi-radar/wifi-radar.conf: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat '/etc/wifi-radar/wifi-radar.conf': No such file or directory
/sbin/VLwifi: line 137: /sbin/ipw3945d: No such file or directory
/sbin/VLwifi: line 114: 100: command not found
driver lstinds is already installed

I tried running VLwifi with root privileges -  same effect.

2.  Pysol not working (same as reported by others).
3.  Terminal program doesn't display properly - fuzzy ghosting of window.  However, urxvt program and all other programs display properly.  I installed using VESA video option.

Thanks for Vector Linux.  I just started using VL5.9 a few months back and look forward to a finished 6.0.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2009, 08:49:55 am »

5.  Firefox apparently is set for British English (OK) but has no dictionaries included by default so no spellchecking is functional in any language.  You have to install a dictionary or language pack to enable that.  Previous versions of VL included the English dictionaries and I still think that's a good idea.

Smiley The UK setting is probably my fault - my system is set for LANG=en_GB. Not sure if there is a way to avoid it picking that up during the build. Smiley Smiley or even it I would want to if I could.....

Not sure about including dictionaries. Unless all are included, many people will have to add them anyway. Maybe there should instead be a warning that localisation should be checked and the appropriate language pack downloaded?

One thing I have noticed, but haven't had time to check fully is that at least some of the mime information in RC3 seems to be incorrect. I've just been finalising my income tax (as usual, just before the deadline..) and found that the mime type for .pdf documents is wrong - it point at Gimp, which doesn't like .pdf files at all... I'll have to see if I can check other things and see if their mime type is correctly set.

paul.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2009, 12:05:23 pm »

Well seems that the sound problem on RC2 was my error, but still have to configure XMMS as suggested by Stretchedthin - Other than that nothing to report that is different to everyone else, suspect that this means that Gold is nearly with us :-)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2009, 02:31:30 pm »

Menu -> Settings -> Login Window
Shows only an error message saying I need to be root to run this. Not very useful entry for ordinary user.. maybe add gksu or vsuper to the command

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2009, 03:35:36 pm »

in ~/.Xdefaults, I think we could remove the following 2 lines.  They make urxvt slower with very little benefit

URxvt.shading: 20
URxvt.fading: 40

With this and the Probing EDD thing (I got it after installing with the textmode installer) I think everything is working ok.

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 04:30:54 pm »

Previous builds of Firefox (like the one included with VL 5.9 Std) did include English dictionaries so it can be done.  Nothing wrong with UK English.  After all, US English would be wrong for British users Smiley  Thanks for reminding me never to do package building with my locale set to he_IL.utf8  Grin

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2009, 07:08:17 pm »

Then one more question, if there is no Device: "Unknown" what device did you use?

There was no Device: Unknown. There isn't a Device:Unknown for CUPS on this 5.9 computer I'm using right now, either. The options in Device: are things like AppSocket/HP JetDirect, Internet Printing Protocol, LPD/LPR Host or Printer, a USB option if you have a USB printer plugged in, a parallel port option if you have a printer on one, and so forth. What is your printer attached to?

The Device I used was something like USB No. 1 Lexmark 1200 Series. I can't be precise because that computer is turned off right now.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2009, 07:21:28 pm »

Menu>Acessories>Root Terminal ends after entering root password. Nothing opens.

The same with
Menu>System>Vector Control Center.

In /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.lxde it says 'exec /usr/bin/slartlxde' instead of startlxde. Which naturally will not slart. Tongue

Still waiting for guidance how to configure my Epson LQ-300. It has a parallel port connected to USB port.

Just found the answer. Grin The printer has to be switched-on when booting and then the Device: 'Unknown:USB' shows up. I am sure that is not needed in my box based on VL6-Light. Even printer switched-off
'Unknow' is there.

And thanks GrannyGeek.

Got notice on the panel that something has to be updated. Clicked on it and gslap opened telling it is python and Pysol. Updated and Pysol opened immediately rather noisy. It works as well. That updater is neat. Will try to put it into my box.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:01:58 pm by Pita » Logged
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2009, 10:26:06 pm »

I was talking with some co-workers today about Linux, one of which uses Crunchbang, the other Ubuntu.  None of us are long time Linux users, certainly not as long as some of the users in this forum.  We were talking about what 1st wowed us in linux.  Many ideas where offered but one we all agreed on was compiz-fusion.   

So I have tried but I have failed to get it working in VL6.0 rc3 has anybody got it to work?
If so what is the secret.

I just get a big rotating white cube.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2009, 11:11:16 pm »

New compiz-fusion packages just went into the VL 6.0 repo.  Did you install those or did you try some other way of installing?

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2009, 11:55:37 pm »

New compiz-fusion packages just went into the VL 6.0 repo.  Did you install those or did you try some other way of installing?

No.  I had just given up when I made my post at  10:26:06. Then 10:32:21 pm, what do you know, new packages.  You guys are good.

It's late, I'll try tomorrow and let you know.
Ken

pevsner

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2009, 08:52:46 am »

I previously commented on Openoffice icons missing in desktop menu: installing "gnome-menu-sooo" fixes this but also installs "pulse audio" which I dont need.
gkrellm not included in desktop menu - system (no big deal).
Also I have posted in "printers" forum about updating hplip to latest version - getting "printer queue setup failed" warning.
Also, I can't type "init 2 or 3" in a terminal as su and go to that level?? (install crashed at installing nvidia prop driver, maybe to do with that).
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2009, 09:24:04 am »

Turns out my compiz-fusion big white spinning cube problem was caused by a bad Nvidia driver set-up.
I downloaded NVidia version 180.22 and installed.

Compiz is running fine now, no more big white box.

P.S. I used MOE-inx newly packaged drivers, work great, nice.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: